BetaONE will rise again!

Old 7th Mar 03, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Raid762@Mar 7 2003, 06:57 AM
Yes , I agree wih this idea, it could save the mods some work, many threads seem to stay active well past their use by date.
.unicorn has got some valid points to consider, but I really should have my right to edit my post for accidental misspelling as Darkwolven said. But there is a small thing which I would think better to change. In the current method, members are able to edit their post without notice. I think it would be dangerous at some situations. One member could misuse it and change what he said without notice, after another member has replied to that post, and he could deny he editted the post because there is no clue. I feel like having the option of displaying the "This post has last edited by....." is not required.

Honestly I go with Zone-MR.
Old 7th Mar 03, 10:46 PM
Mega Mod

wase4711 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wase4711 Send a message via MSN to wase4711
Our words belong to us; we only SHARE them with others...

Of course we have to let the author edit his posts; that's a issue that doesn't even need to be discussed, does it?

And, unless THEY no longer want the job of monitoring the "bad" posts, then I feel the Mods do a great job is monitoring most threads here, and should be allowed to continue doing it!

wase4711
Old 8th Mar 03, 12:04 AM
Retired

richardc2000 is on a distinguished road
Help - I am getting a little lost here - I believe the question is
Quote:
How about the ability to close our own thread when we feel it has outlived its time.
Perhaps another thread about whether the current practice of editing our own threads could be started. Then the Mods could explain how editing has been so detrimental to this board in one thread and, in this thread, discuss the feasibility/practicality/necessity etc of the ability to close our own thread .

Just a thought because that would require our current ability to edit our own threads. :P
Old 8th Mar 03, 12:16 AM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
Agreed. The argument about editing posts has been and gone. This thread is about a user closing their own posts when said user deems them dead.

Lets not forget that even though a user closes his post it will still be possible for the posts to be reopened if their is enough interest in it or if a user closes a post mid discussion.

Users would have to use their discretion and common sense, this is a community and we should all be allowed to have our say (Providing it is legal and within the rules of course )

Old 8th Mar 03, 12:25 AM

stumuzz
This is a tricky one , I seem to agree with both sides.
So I will support the majority vote on this one .

Stumuzz.

To be honest i've never really thought about it before.
Old 8th Mar 03, 08:24 AM
Super Duper Moderator

Voodoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Voodoo
Quote:
Originally posted by Reborn@Mar 8 2003, 02:16 AM
Lets not forget that even though a user closes his post it will still be possible for the posts to be reopened if their is enough interest in it or if a user closes a post mid discussion.
I would agree that we would lighten the mods work if we had the "power" to close our own thread. I do remember a few that I started where I asked a question and it was then answered. Would be nice then to just close the thread instead of asking a mod.

As with all things I say; let's give it a go. If it works out fine, good. If it is abused, just change it back.

Cheerz
Dave

Old 8th Mar 03, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Raid762 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok having read a few replys I can see valid points for both views , As DL suggessts a trial period could always be reversed if the users were abusing it. Closing a thread is not the same as deleteing it which could possibly cause some friction. As we are a freindly place let's have a vote decide and if it's too close just keep the status quo.
edited due to typo's
Old 8th Mar 03, 09:49 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think any threads should be closed unless it breaks the rules or gets out of hand and thats a moderators decision not the person posting it.

Other than that, threads should remain open.
Sometimes threads get closed too soon when someone else may have been able to make a better suggestion or a different idea. Even if the issue was resolved by the first reply you never know if it could lead to more ideas or an interesting discussion that we could all learn from.

People searching older threads should also be able to post a thanks later or bump something up if it's a similar issue.
Dave
Old 4th Apr 03, 06:07 AM
Retired Crew

Alpine is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alpine Send a message via AIM to Alpine
i agreed !!
Old 4th Apr 03, 03:53 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Keru is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Keru
if not possible how about adding some kind of check box
that when ticked the mods can find them easier.

...do I make sense, I hope so