BetaONE will rise again!

Old 19th Jul 02, 06:47 AM

skloo77
Send a message via ICQ to skloo77 Send a message via MSN to skloo77
the download can get from Java's URL....they have it there.
Old 19th Jul 02, 02:56 PM

Woogieman
M$ never issued the "Standard" Java!!! They agreed to, and signed contracts, to use the standard Java package used by the rest of the Industry. They then went and corrupted it in a deliberate attempt to gain control. Sun sued M$ and won - twice. This last time the court ordered M$ to either follow the standard that they (M$) agreed to or remove it. Just like the kid that can't have his way, M$ decided to take their "ball and bat" and go home, crying "foul".

M$ had done the exact same thing with HTML code in an attempt to control internet browsing. The result is that sites that use the M$ html code extentions don't display correctly when using other browsers. The M$ extentions don't really add anything; they were designed, per M$ testimony in the fed trials, to "gain control of internet browsing" (their words).

I find this tendency of M$ to try an screw up everything for the users as despicable. If they were truly extending the use of computers by everyone, one could understand their efforts. But, in most cases, it seems they continue to use underhanded methods to corrupt.

Disgusting!!
Old 20th Jul 02, 08:03 AM

gosh
Send a message via AIM to gosh
I thought i would post to try to clear things up

First, im so sick of people bashing microsoft. If microsoft includes java in windows, people say microsoft is using there desktop monopoly to hurt sun. If microsoft removes java, people say microsoft is acting like a little kid that didn't get it's way. No matter what microsoft does, people bitch, and im sick of it.

Second, after Dec 31, 2003, microsoft cannot include any form of java in any new operating systems. This is because sun sued microsoft, and microsoft settled because they were sick of sun trying to beat microsoft in the legal system, rather than the market place. If you want to bitch about microsoft removing java, bitch to sun. Microsoft can still distribute java security fixes, but only until 2008, after which microsoft will not distribute java in any form. Again, this is what sun wanted.

Java will be in xp sp1. Every windows version other than xp has java included in the os, so if you upgrade to xp you'll still have java. The only reason why you would want to download java, is for troubleshooting. However like has been previously mentioned, you can download java at any site searching google. It's not that big of a deal.

The only thing i can see that microsoft did wrong, was they yanked java without any notice. It would have been nice if they would have given people a week notice, but hey that's life.

Isn't it nice to have someone just post the facts, rather than tirades against microsoft If i wanted to read rants against microsoft, i would have gone to slashdot.org.

-gosh
Old 21st Jul 02, 04:55 AM

Woogieman
Nobody is "bashing" M$. The facts are that Sun had to sue them twice because Sun controls the rights to Java - not M$!! It's interesting that all other signees of the Java Standards seems to have had no problem following the agreements. After the first judge handed down the "stop corrupting Java" decision; M$ evidently thought they were above the laws that the rest of the world is expected to follow and continued to attempt to screw up the Java Standard. So, back to court, only this time M$ was slammed hard resulting in the "facts" that you state (although the betting in the Industry is that M$ will find a way to save face and continue to offer standard Java down the road).

As you state, M$ yanked Java without notifying anyone. Sure sounds like the kid with the ball and bat that abruptly goes home because he can't have his way, doesn't it.

Rants??? Nahhh! With M$, just stating the facts regarding the sleazy things they normally try to get away with seem to send the die hard M$ worshippers (and/or M$ employees) off into orbit. Sorry 'bout that.

By the way, what are your thoughts on M$ recently volunteering to restrict what you can record or watch on your very own pc? Or is that just another one of those "hey that's life" details. Just curious.......
Old 22nd Jul 02, 07:12 PM

DanteG
Send a message via ICQ to DanteG Send a message via MSN to DanteG
Quote:
Originally posted by Woogieman@Jul 19 2002, 03:56 PM
...M$ had done the exact same thing with HTML code in an attempt to control internet browsing. The result is that sites that use the M$ html code extentions don't display correctly when using other browsers. The M$ extentions don't really add anything; they were designed, per M$ testimony in the fed trials, to "gain control of internet browsing" (their words)...
Hehe... This reminds me of 'Antitrust'
Nice movie about a M$ like company...

Last edited by DanteG at Jul 22 2002, 08:12 PM
Old 23rd Jul 02, 02:00 AM

sporkw
I installed the above link, and it still says install java on the 1st page I go to, which takes me to the dead MS site.

How did you guys get this to install?
Old 23rd Jul 02, 02:37 AM

doder
download java from Sun. it's better anyway.
Old 23rd Jul 02, 07:06 PM

sporkw
I need MS java, as Sun's sucks.....thecrack.net won't let me use their jdownload tool.
Old 24th Jul 02, 05:17 PM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
Antileech download applets and some other download applets dont work with sun java. Use MS Java- it may be stolen but it rocks :P

Old 25th Jul 02, 04:11 AM

sporkw
I have tried to install MS JAva VM from each link here, it says it works, I reboot, and it somehow does not work.

It must be on the system, because each time, when I go to Winupdate, it tries to re-install the March 4 Java VM critical fix, so it finds the VM, it just won;t work.

This is with a clean install of Win XP Corp - with or without Java 1.40 being installed and with or without applying the MArch 4 critical update.

help?