BetaONE will rise again!

Old 15th Jul 02, 01:16 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Capricornxs has disabled reputation
i just have word from another board that some ppl after they've done a reinstallation of windowsxp and when going to winupdate, they do NOT get the prompt for microsoft's virtual java machine. this sounds like really bad news. ms might have with drawn this due to their conflicts with sun's...

just wanted to give you guys a heads up. if you're one of those ppl who can't find java support from window's update page, here's a direct link:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...S/msjavx86.exe

i suggest all you xp people get it down before microsoft decides to kill it entirely.
Old 15th Jul 02, 01:24 PM

HotRod is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to HotRod
Thanks for the link. It's true, after reload no Java update. Had to load Sun Java this time around, will load MS next time.
Thanks again
Old 15th Jul 02, 04:15 PM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
I did manage to get Java from ms website yesterday. It contains a new eula though. As soon as i find the package i will post the updated eula sections
Old 15th Jul 02, 04:20 PM

FreeUS
Many ppl tell me that on the SP1 final, Java will be supported
Old 15th Jul 02, 11:47 PM

SmallzTek
Does any one know where I can get this because the link doesn't work anymore.
Old 15th Jul 02, 11:52 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Cactus is an unknown quantity at this point
Try http://www.tthd.freeserve.co.uk/download/msjavx86.exe

Just googled for it btw
Old 16th Jul 02, 12:30 AM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
Its still there on the windows update site. Enable the windows update catalog and do a search for it. Here's the updated eula section i refered to:

6. NOTE ON JAVA SUPPORT. THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN SUPPORT FOR PROGRAMS WRITTEN IN JAVA. JAVA TECHNOLOGY IS NOT FAULT TOLERANT AND IS NOT DESIGNED, MANUFACTURED, OR INTENDED FOR USE OR RESALE AS ON-LINE CONTROL EQUIPMENT IN HAZARDOUS ENVIRONMENTS REQUIRING FAIL-SAFE PERFORMANCE, SUCH AS IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL, DIRECT LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES, OR WEAPONS SYSTEMS, IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF JAVA TECHNOLOGY COULD LEAD DIRECTLY TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE ("HIGH RISK ACTIVITIES"). Sun Microsystems, Inc. has contractually obligated Microsoft to make this disclaimer.

Old 16th Jul 02, 12:33 AM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
damn that sounds really bad
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 16th Jul 02, 06:24 AM

analog chainsaw
There's no way in the world MS would eliminate Java altogether. Do they think people aren't going to bitch when they can't access certain sites or run certain software just because MS wants to play Isolated Monopolist?

Even if in the worst case scenerio MS stood their ground and removed their JVM from the public, there's always the less than standard Java 2 Platform from Sun. Not as nice as the MS one, but it works nonetheless.

Oh, but I did download the latest build of the MS JVM, just for safe keeping.....
Old 16th Jul 02, 02:36 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Sephiroth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth
Quote:
Originally posted by analog chainsaw@Jul 15 2002, 11:24 PM
There's no way in the world MS would eliminate Java altogether. Do they think people aren't going to bitch when they can't access certain sites or run certain software just because MS wants to play Isolated Monopolist?

Even if in the worst case scenerio MS stood their ground and removed their JVM from the public, there's always the less than standard Java 2 Platform from Sun. Not as nice as the MS one, but it works nonetheless.

Oh, but I did download the latest build of the MS JVM, just for safe keeping.....
I agree.... even some of MS's own sites use Java... my grandmother plays a lot of games on zone.com which will not run without MS Java or Sun JRE......looks like they'll be changing that too if they totally remove Java

Last edited by Sephiroth at Jul 16 2002, 07:37 AM