BetaONE will rise again!

Old 26th Dec 03, 04:54 PM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally posted by Dudelive@Dec 26 2003, 04:11 AM
I am not able to login as root because dummy me forgot the password at 5:00 am this morning on install. I was going to leave it blank and set one when I got it working but couldn't proceede untill sleepy eyed me set one and forgot it.
You're fucked. Reinstall. This time don't forget to format the partition(s).
Old 26th Dec 03, 05:10 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks craftyc

Quote:
You're fucked. Reinstall. This time don't forget to format the partition(s).
It often happens I'm fucked.

I'm installing on onformatted free space, letting Xandros format automatically.

I read onhttp://www.frankscorner.org/ that CrossOver supports Outlook 97 and 2000. I tried installing Outlook from Office XP on my laptop and on the desktop. In both cases, it installed but screwed up. On the laptop Outlook runs, receives mail, but won't send it over the smtp server. On the desktop it won't start. I deleted the Linux partitions on the desktop and started over. Same result. Until CrossOver supports Outlook 2003, it isn't that important. I've imported all my addresses to Mozilla and it looks like it's included spam filter actually works pretty good. That's my main interest since I'm getting 100+ spams a day right now. My ISP has no filtering capability whatsoever.
Old 27th Dec 03, 12:30 AM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally posted by rikytik@Dec 26 2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks craftyc

It often happens I'm fucked.

I'm installing on onformatted free space, letting Xandros format automatically.

I read onhttp://www.frankscorner.org/ that CrossOver supports Outlook 97 and 2000. I tried installing Outlook from Office XP on my laptop and on the desktop. In both cases, it installed but screwed up. On the laptop Outlook runs, receives mail, but won't send it over the smtp server. On the desktop it won't start. I deleted the Linux partitions on the desktop and started over. Same result. Until CrossOver supports Outlook 2003, it isn't that important. I've imported all my addresses to Mozilla and it looks like it's included spam filter actually works pretty good. That's my main interest since I'm getting 100+ spams a day right now. My ISP has no filtering capability whatsoever.
If you want an Outlook clone for Linux, try kolab from www.kroupware.org. If you don't like that then try Evolution www.ximian.com, although it's not based on qt like kolab. Stick either of the two with SpamAssassin and you're set; decent mail client/calendar program with decent spam filters.

I think out of the two Evolution is the better, but then I'm not such a huge fan of kde.
Old 27th Dec 03, 03:15 AM

Dudelive is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok.....I'm back up on Xrandos, you do NOT have to format completely although it may have saved me sometime. "PCTech" came by (thank God for a son that could fix this) and we both tried every help we could find and we did NOT find a way to change a LOST password. So he did a reinstall and let Xrandos take over the whole partition, it was under custom install I think. Anyway everything is good to go now again and I did not loose anything on Windows 2000 as I am duel booting with Xrandos and Win200.

Thanks for the help...but do NOT forget the Admin password or you will be better off to reinstall completely. There may be a way to reset it but we could not do it.

Thanks
Dudelive
Old 27th Dec 03, 05:36 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Writing this using Mozilla in Xandros v2.

This far:
I made backups of two important partitions,
choosed Custom Install
wrote down my usernames and passwords
and had a working system up and running after exactly 30 minutes

First bsod (it hung, everything except of the mousepointer) after 32 minutes while playing around in the "First time running wizard" (or something like that).

So far so good, it's great to have a Linux based desktop again, the last years I have been using XP only and, well, it's good to be back. Allthough I would have liked a choice of using Gnome, it partitioned the systemdrive into ReiserFS (good), I wasn't able to choose where to put the swap-file (I had a partition at another drive free for that purpose). Well, that will be fixed. No problems with the hardware, it helps to have Nvidia graphix and a postscript writer of course.

Now I have to go find a decent firewall for this. Suggestions?
Old 27th Dec 03, 11:31 AM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally posted by unicorn@Dec 27 2003, 05:36 AM
Now I have to go find a decent firewall for this. Suggestions?
The most powerful way to do this is to create your own iptables script. That way you have the most functionality and flexibility. You get to create all the rules and know exactly what can come in and out of your machine. But it's hard. I've tried it and it went all wrong. In the end I just installed shorewall (www.shorewall.net). Does everything I need it to. Although it doesn't have a pretty graphical user interface.

If you want a GUI then go for firestarter. Easy to configure and easy to use. However it uses gtk toolkit, so won't fit very well into kde.

I'd suggest going for shorewall.
Old 27th Dec 03, 01:30 PM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Thanks craftyc. Last I run Linux there wasn't that urgent demand for firewalls. I'll start with firestarter (which is extremely easy to get installed since it it available at Xandros Network) and then I'll have a look into shorewall.
After that I'll make a backup and then I'm very interested in Scribus! There has happened things with Linux and Desktop Publishing, finally!
Old 27th Dec 03, 03:12 PM

fritz122
Send a message via MSN to fritz122
Is Xandros 2.0 Free for download ? I hav big Interest.
Old 27th Dec 03, 03:54 PM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally posted by fritz122@Dec 27 2003, 03:12 PM
Is Xandros 2.0 Free for download ? I hav big Interest.
No. Although, in a short while Xandros will put a trial version on their servers for download. It will be the standard version of Xandros, so no crossover or NTFS resizing, but all other features will be available. It will last for 30 days only.
Old 28th Dec 03, 10:09 PM

fritz122
Send a message via MSN to fritz122
Thak you craftyc for anwer on my question. I will look on the next days.