BetaONE will rise again!

Old 25th Dec 03, 01:47 AM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Fantastic would be one way to describe the new Xandros Desktop Deluxe O/S that was released Dec 18. Amazing would be another good word.

I installed it on a Sony R505 laptop and it even recognizes without adding any drivers two wireless PC Cards I have: Linksys WPC11 ver 3 and an SMC2632.

Apart from that I haven't had much time to check out the Codeweavers Cross Over Office thingy, but I am mightily impressed with the ease of installation of version 2.0
Old 25th Dec 03, 04:21 AM

Dudelive is an unknown quantity at this point
A couple of questions, can you install it along with XP and duel boot with out problems?
Would you be better off to use Virtual PC and if so how do you set it up?

Thanks
Dudelive
Old 25th Dec 03, 08:16 AM
BetaONE Supporter

italiano is an unknown quantity at this point
@dudelive

this Linux OS is excellent ...

I have been running it since v1.

Yes, you can install it alongside XP, no problems

Yes, it is far, far, better than using it with virtual PC, which slows things
down, you can't really appreciate it as an OS unless you install it properly.

With the New Version 2, just out, it is only 4 clicks and the installation goes straight ahead.... what an install, one of the best if not the best...
The Xandros setup creates a partition automatically and installs it as a duel boot along side good old XP.

I have a 2 year old IBM Thinkpad laptop, I have tried installing all the major Linux Operating systems on it....
ALL of them would not install properly or caused problems

But when I installed Xandros v2, it was a faultless and very fast install, no problems at all...
I am now running my Thinkpad as a duel boot system.
In fact I like this new Xandros so much that I may even make it my main OS on my laptop.

Basically m8, laptops are very fussy things.
If you can get a linux that installs to them without any problems then indeed it
is a mighty beast

Well done Xandros!!

Give it a go m8.
Old 25th Dec 03, 03:36 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Same here. All other Linux systems including version 1 of Xandros didn't install properly on my Toshiba 5100 or more importantly my Sony PGC R505. Version 2.0 is a dream come true. My laptop works on the LAN either with the internal Ethernet connector or the wireless adaptor made by LinkSys and SMC. The WPC 54g does not work, however. Question of drivers, I think.

When you install Xandros on a system opersating Windows XP or other, it installs with an automatic dual boot menu. Once installed the Xandros o/s is default, but you can change that in the Xandros Control menu, making Windows primary. Very simple and straight forward. The thing I loke most about Xandros is that it mounts all your drives and the Winidows LAN automatically. Also it very easily configures a printer that might be on the LAN. USB plug and play works flawlessly.

The Deluxe edition comes with an interface that allows you to install Office and Adobe Photoshop, and a few other programs written for Windows. I haven't tested this side out yet, but obviously for a lotta guys not being able to run certain windows programs is a negative.

Xandros is, in short, something to make Billy Boy shake in his shoes. They just don't have the marketing muscle yet. Good stuff.
Old 25th Dec 03, 06:28 PM

Well I tried it and screwed-up, I was just out of bed EARLY this morning and did the install on a spare computer that has a bad motherboard or processor which runs windows 2000 great except NO videos at all will play on 2000. So I figured what can I loose, I istalled it fine and FORGOT what password I gave the admin....( I know, STUPID me)...so I am attempting to reinstall it.

The first time was a breeze to install and as said everything was set up correctly to start with. I am not sure about the lan access because I need admin rights to access....(I am awake now, so will write down the pass)

I also get this error on bootup "kcminit error signal 11 has been generated "sigsegv" "
Old 25th Dec 03, 06:54 PM
BetaONE Supporter

italiano is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep us informed of your progress m8
Old 25th Dec 03, 07:14 PM

Ok...well as I write this I am on Xandros now, the reinstall went better than the first install did....meaning ...no errors at all. It must have been too early this morning for it or me.

Now I have got to know, how do I change to password for the Administrator. Somehow it will remember that during a reinstall although it warns of loosing information if you continue. Trouble is this morning before daylight and before enough coffee I did the first install and it would not let me continue until I had gave an Admin password....... No I did not write it down.

Thanks
Dudelive
Old 25th Dec 03, 09:12 PM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally posted by Dudelive@Dec 25 2003, 07:14 PM
Now I have got to know, how do I change to password for the Administrator.
Log in as the root, fire up a terminal, then type in passwd. It will then prompt you to change your password.
Old 26th Dec 03, 04:11 AM

I am not able to login as root because dummy me forgot the password at 5:00 am this morning on install. I was going to leave it blank and set one when I got it working but couldn't proceede untill sleepy eyed me set one and forgot it.
Old 26th Dec 03, 11:19 AM
BetaONE Supporter

I've installed IE6 and OfficeXP in Xandros 2.0 to test CrossOver. Looks ok so far, tho for reasons I haven't figured out Outlook has a configuration or registry problem. The other OfficeXP modules work fine.