BetaONE will rise again!

Old 3rd Oct 02, 12:51 PM

CARTMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by craftyc@Oct 2 2002, 08:33 PM
I have found a distro of choice, that I think is better than Windows. Therefore why should I use it?
True its about personal tastes
Old 3rd Oct 02, 09:40 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Bads is an unknown quantity at this point
Last year,

I tried Linux (Mandrake 7) and this was a good distro

Linux is a really good OS for people who want to learn more about program and operating system.

This is not easy for a beginner and you have to learn alot of thing but this is funny

If you just want to click and run, go to windows

I will try Lindows 2.0 in a virtual machine to see what it is

When I tried Linux last year, for a newbie like me who wants to try different thing and make my own kernel etc....I had to format each day or week

But this is a way to learn
Old 5th Oct 02, 02:48 PM

TheCrossMovement
Send a message via MSN to TheCrossMovement Send a message via Yahoo to TheCrossMovement
I tried Lindows.....and it wouldn't even let me access the desktop. Instead I got some kinda techincal error. Perhaps you other people have had better luck, but I think I'll wait for the General Release(V.3) in November. And I tried Redhat Linux V.8, and while it looks very nice, I couldn't find a way to access the internet or even setup my ethernet card properly. You guys say these are user-friendly?? Well I suppose so if all you wanna do is sit there and admire the desktop or play a few games(which ran mega-slow for me as well). But thats not MY idea of a fun time.

TCM
Old 9th Oct 02, 02:05 AM

hamslammer
Heard both good and bad reviews of Lindows. Just installed the RedHat 8.0 distro this morning and am pleasantly surprised. It detected all of my hardware, set it up correctly and I was good to go. Was surfing the internet in just a few minutes. Granted, it's not as user friendly as Windows, but it is definately getting better. Not to mention the fact that it was a free download!!
Old 9th Oct 02, 03:18 PM

Darkwolven is an unknown quantity at this point
Joining the thread late I know but...

My friend has a full legal version of Lindows 2.0. OK, so looking into the folders you can see there is a folder labeled "Debain" so YES Lindows is based on Debian. The reason why is because they badly wanted an EASY way to upgrade the system, which Debian provides not just for system files but for applications as well. Lindows "click and run" is based on Debian's "appget". All other distros have update features, but only support system file upgrade.

I don't know about this running as root deal. I'll ask about that. I would have a hard time believing they would leave consumers vulnerable on purpose. There must be something MORE here than we know.

OK, so Not all the libraries are open source for Lindows. So what?! That doesn't make it NOT Linux. The files that are not open source deal not with the OS but with the updating feature and how it runs wine which is NOT NECESSARY for Linux. It is a commercial distro of Linux after all. They -should- keep their propriatary code closed. To do otherwise is stupid and saying Lindow is not Linux based on that fact is stupid too.