BetaONE will rise again!

Old 25th Jul 03, 10:37 AM

modhapd
I have a mentor adsl router,4port switch and modem all in one unit. I have installed Ws_ftp server v4.0 on my machine but when I tried to connect from different site I can connect to the router but can not see the directories on the machine at home. The user guide I received from metor does not seem to help much any learned personel out there? can you help or point our as to where I am going wrong.

Thanks!
Old 25th Jul 03, 11:16 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Mentor probably is some cheap shit - most comments on the Net are negative. According to a descriptive ad-like site I found it at least is supposed to handle port forwarding.
at:http://www.linden-computech.com/pc/adsl_mr4.htm

Back to basics: Do you know your IP-numbers (two of them, internal and external)? Seems so as you can connect to the router (?) but not to the machine.
Ok - you do. Then port forwarding is the thing.
You run your server at some port, maybe 21, at your computer. So, the router needs to know that all connections from the outside asking for port 21 are to be forwarded to the computer runing the ftp-server.
Look for port forwarding (or maybe virtual server) in the settings and op redirct the portnumbers you need.

And welcome here to BetaONE!
Old 26th Jul 03, 01:14 AM
eh!!

Cyberion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cyberion Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberion
It may be cheap.. But if it works, don't break it.

***.***.***.123 TCP 21

You need to link up your computers IP address to the router in such a way that it KNOWS that ANYONE goingftp://blah.com:21 will be YOUR computer. Thus you can have multiple computers on the network serving multiple functions.

One server for Web. ***.***.***.123 TCP 80
one server for FTP. ***.***.***.124 TCP 21
One server for gopher. ***.***.***.125 TCP ?
one server for IRC ***.***.***.126 TCP 6667
one server for Apple Share IP ***.***.***.127 TCP ?

.. ok I'll stop there.. Am I getting accross? I hope.. but if I'm not don't hesitate to make that known.

Again Welcome to BetaONE, hopefully you will stay and become an active, or live here like some members and administrators..hahah, community member.

Cheers,
Cybey
Old 26th Jul 03, 06:50 PM

billybob3
Send a message via AIM to billybob3 Send a message via MSN to billybob3
Hey, you guys, he CAN connect, but he can't view the directory. Which, means that there is something wrong with the file permissions in WS_FTP Server. Did you set the "read" permission???
Old 27th Jul 03, 08:28 PM
Administrator

BearCat will become famous soon enoughBearCat will become famous soon enough
Did you try both PORT and PASV mode when you tried connecting ?

Read the indepth explanation of PASV/PORT modes and common problems here :http://www.raidenftpd.com/kb/kb000000010.html

----ooO-(_)-Ooo----
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.

Old 27th Jul 03, 11:18 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
I went nuts with his problem. It's so easy yet impossible at first.

In the setup screen and enter the IP assigned by your ISP. Then you set a range of ports on that same screen 10 or 15: like 20500 to 20515 or whatever. Then you go to your router set up screen, probably accessed from your browser, and forward those same ports. If you don't, you'll not see the directories. That's where I fouled up. You need to do that irrespective of what port you use for the ftp.

I tested version 4 of WS FTP 2 nights ago and it worked perfectly with this setup behind a router.
Old 27th Jul 03, 11:55 PM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
It's even worse for modhapd, rikytik. He not only went nuts, it seems as he in fact died. Bad kharma for mentor I would say...

Besides bad jokes I'm sorry he/she left. But rereading the thread now and I can't see anything scary with the replies?!
My fault though. I got a PM from modhapd:

Thanks for the comments. The router I have is not he same you showed the link to. the one I have is this one:http://www.linden-computech.com/pc/adsl_mr4c.htm I just wanted to know how to route the FTP as I am not too conversant with the network terminology and hey we all have to start somewhere! So please be tolerant. what might seem easy to you, I am new to this so please help. I must thank you for your kind consideration though. Thank you.

To this I replied:
Why not copy and paste this PM as a reply in the thread you started?! Also please add comments about how things goes and we can help you further on.
I hope I didn't sound... well, kinda condescending.

Oh well.
Old 29th Jul 03, 02:52 AM

Dudelive is an unknown quantity at this point
I can understand the shall we say "frustrations" of setting up a server and it is not easy for a beginner. So if "modhapd" would reply back and let us all learn something from one another.

@ modhapd Don't give up we all have to learn that is one of the best things about this forum here, there are some of the best people here that can help you and me as well. I would like to say that ".unicorn" just may be the one to be able to help. Sorry for saying you could help ".unicorn" with out asking first but you always have been a help to all.

Thanks
Dudelive