BetaONE will rise again!

Old 9th Apr 03, 08:10 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Keru is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Keru
well need to organize my hard drives n would like to uninstall temporarily.

ever since I installed Xandros it goes through the boot lilo giving me the
option to boot to xp. so I am alittle scared to just delete it the os coz then
I will never get in, I think.

any step by step instructions or direction ..... much appreciated
Old 9th Apr 03, 10:41 AM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm still a Xandros noobie, and checked around and found the following items. Not sure they apply exactly to your objective. But it's a start. This first item is a way to change the Lilo default to Windows from Xandros. Then an item how to remove Lilo, followed by an item on how to reinstall it.

Change default [http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic....9df17eaaa1965]

Open up an administrator console with:

Launch->System->Admin Tools->console

start mc

navigate to /etc and highlite the file lilo.conf

hit f4 to edit it.

Find the entry for the Win boot, usually the last one. It will look something like:

other=/dev/hda1
label=Win_ME

use the F3 key to mark both lines. Then move the cursor to the first 'image' entry. Hit enter to open up a line there, then hit F6 to move the ME boot section there. THis places it in the first place before all the other 'image' sections, and makes it the default.

Now save with F2 and exit with F10.

while still in the console enter:

lilo

This will write the modified configuration to the boot part of your disk.

You can uninstall LILO by using the lilo -u command, or, if LILO is not installed on the MBR, you can disable it by using fdisk under either Linux or MS-DOS to make another partition active. If LILO has been installed as the MBR, you can restore the original MBR by booting under MS-DOS and using the command fdisk /mbr.

It's happened to almost every Linux user at some point: You have a nice installation of Linux, or maybe Linux cross-booted with Windows. So far so good. But then, at some point, you reinstall Windows, perhaps because you upgraded to a new version, or perhaps you just did it to "clean up" Windows, reinstalling the original system files to make it a little more stable. When you reboot, however, you'll find that if you had LILO running from your hard disk's MBR, it has been killed, and Windows has claimed the MBR as its own. How will you reinstall LILO so you can get into Linux?

The answer is simple: You need a Linux boot disk. You can use a floppy or a CD, but whatever you use, you need to type something at the boot prompt to make the kernel mount your Linux installation. Essentially, you'll be using the boot disk just to load the Linux kernel, and after that you will be booting into the Linux installation on your hard disk, just like normal. The key command that you need to type at the "boot:" prompt looks like this:

linux root=/dev/hda1

...Where /dev/hda1 is the partition on which your Linux root mount point is. Once you type this, after the system is finished booting, you should find that you're back in your Linux system. From there, all you need to do is type lilo. This will reinstall LILO, using the same settings you had before. (If you want to reconfigure it, you'd better do that first.) In any case, once LILO has been reinstalled, you can reboot, and you should find that it comes up at startup again, giving you the choice of which OS to boot. [http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2072/proc10.htm]
Old 9th Apr 03, 11:46 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Keru is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Keru
thanx alot rikytik

will study your nfo
Old 22nd Apr 03, 04:47 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Sephiroth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth
boot into xp, go to computer management \ logical disk manager, and delete the xandros partitions and do whatever you want with them, then boot off the xp cd into the recovery console and do a fixboot and fixmbr , it'll write a new mbr and bootsector to the drive, get rid of lilo, and boot straight back into windows like normal