BetaONE will rise again!

Old 3rd Jan 03, 05:38 AM

DigitalSteel
READ this nfo A.S.A.P and leave your input

----------[spread this nfo to all you can ok]-----------

[GREAT nfo on disableing service you may not need in your MS OS]

This guy has a decent site explaining the services and the ways to get to them.

You can use Start/Run services.msc
or you can use msconfig to catch some of the apps that go into services or startup.

Anyone running 2K can get an MSCONFIG from WinXP and put it in the root of the Winnt folder.

He has several OS I think but the two I have bookmarked are for 2K and XP.

http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm

http://www.blackviper.com/WINXP/servicecfg.htm

Code:
W2k Pro Services (after a fresh install) NOTE: Take a look at Task Manager - "svchost.exe" program. This guy controls how services start, interact & authenticate with the system. See how much memory it's using. My systems average approx 3mb after services have been disabled or set to manual. I've seen svchost gobble up over 25mb on machines which have all/most services set to "automatic" -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- code:-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Alerter                          [Manual   - I like keeping this active b/c various apps use this to display critical error msgs] Automatic Updates                [Disabled - this feature is unreliable anyhow & was introduced into W2k with SP3] Background Intelligent Transfer  [Disabled - part of 'Automatic Updates' feature, it downloads MS updates in background w/o you knowing it] Clipbook                         [Disabled - this won't stop your clipboard from functioning, it's only for sharing clipboard contents between multiple PC's] DHCP Client                      [Disabled - ONLY if you've assigned a static external/internal IP to your PC, keep enabled otherwise] Distributed Link Tracking Client [Disabled - ONLY useful within a Domain environment. keep enabled if you authenticate with a NT/W2k domain controller] DNS Client                       [Disabled - used to resolve DNS names to IPs, let your ISP's DNS do this which frees your box from caching DNS] Fax Service                      [Disabled - used to manage the MS-Fax subsystem. Also, Outlook Express hooks into this & that's why you can't kill it from Add/Remove pgms] FTP Publishing Service           [Disabled - you should run Add/Remove & kill MS-IIS, unless you're running your own website & kill MS-FTP. Use Serv-U instead, it rules !] IIS Admin Service                [Disabled - ditto above] Indexing Service                 [Disabled - indexes the contents of your HD for faster searching. Overhead outweights it's usefullness] Internet Connection Sharing      [Disabled - software to allow 1 PC to act as the entry/exit point to the Internet for other PCs in your network. Use a hub/router instead] IPSEC Policy Agent               [Disabled - IP security tunneling protocol which very few apps use] Netmeeting Remote Desktop        [Disabled - sharing your desktop with others using Netmeeting. Who still uses Netmeeting ? it's outdated] Messenger                        [Automatic - this works with the 'Alerter' service] QoS RSVP                         [Disabled - allows devices which use Quality of Service (ex: Cisco routers) to be monitored] Remote Registry Service          [Disabled - allows your registry to be accessed by other PC's.  Big security hole] Smart Card                       [Disabled - allows Smart Card devices to interact with the system. Ex. retina & fingerprint scanners] Smart Card Helper                [Disabled - ditto above] Telnet                           [Disabled - opens up Port 23 for others to attempt brute force attacks into your system. Security hole]                                             IMPORTANT, if you're using FlexLM based apps like Maya, keep this enabled. These proggies need telnet port 23 to communicate with the License Mgr                                             If you keep this enabled, be sure to block port 23 on your firewall Utility Manager                  [Disabled - for the hearing & visual impaired] Windows Time                     [Disabled - accesses the Domain controller on your network to keep your PC's time synchronized] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (20 total - sorry, I said 8 above) By disabling the above, you're still running a conservative system. All file/printer connection features will still work. Also, since the Server & Workstation services are still active, you'll be able to map to other machines. (preferably using UNC instead of Drive Letter mappings so viruses don't propogate) The links that an IMF*er provided above are very good. You'll see that they suggest disabling some services (such as Logical Disk Manager) which isn't a good idea. Ex: You need that service to change drive letters, initially format and partition drives, etc. Windows XP is nearly identical except for a few additional services. Hope that helps
admins no i didnt know where to put it please move to whatever section is correct

Thanks
Old 3rd Jan 03, 05:52 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Bads is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks DigitalSteel

I will check the list for XP

The link for XP users:

/http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
Old 3rd Jan 03, 05:55 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Keru is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Keru
this is a good site to follow IMO

known it for quite awhile now n thanx to him have around 18 process at start
Old 3rd Jan 03, 06:04 AM
BetaONE Supporter

puZZle is an unknown quantity at this point
thanx........DigitalSteel & Bads..........
Old 3rd Jan 03, 09:22 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Old but good.
And also a good reminder DS, it was a while since I visited Black Viper. The first time visiter will get some good ideas.
Old 6th Jan 03, 04:08 AM
Retired Crew

Alpine is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alpine Send a message via AIM to Alpine
i use this setting ... i really like it ..

I think Black Viper have rights about theses servicecs!
Old 6th Jan 03, 10:31 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Bads is an unknown quantity at this point
But don't do the same thing as me and load the "super Tweak settings" in the beginning
Old 8th Jan 03, 01:31 AM

Dudelive is an unknown quantity at this point
Go to his site and do ALOT of reading and as was stated don`t get silly and make a lot of changes at once.

DS glad you gave the link, cause there are lots of new people that do not know about this.

Please listen to "Bads" or you will be sorry, I know I was.
Old 14th Jan 03, 02:28 AM
Mega Mod

wase4711 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wase4711 Send a message via MSN to wase4711
been editing the services.msc proggie for a long time now..wonder if I have been leaving things on that could be shut off...
never too old to learn!'

thanks for the post, Digital!

wase4711
Old 14th Jan 03, 02:49 PM

Nd4Spd
Send a message via ICQ to Nd4Spd Send a message via AIM to Nd4Spd Send a message via MSN to Nd4Spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nd4Spd
Thanks for the links. Will image the HDD then try it out.
Think I've learned my lesson (finally).

Indy