BetaONE will rise again!

Old 30th Dec 02, 12:29 PM
Fisher

The next version of Microsoft® Office, code-named "Office 11," offers a wide array of solution development enhancements and options. Although "Office 11" is not scheduled to release until mid-2003, I'll provide you with a first look of some possibilities for "Office 11" solution developers.

Note This month's column was written based on "Office 11" Beta 1 software. You can expect that Microsoft can (and will) change this information, as well as the screen shots provided.
More info:
hxxp://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnofftalk/html/office12092002.asp
Old 31st Dec 02, 03:29 AM

Nichotin
the sad thing about office 11 is that its IMO more bloated.. although its fun to try

luckily my openoffice does all the stuff i need
Old 31st Dec 02, 03:59 AM
Fisher

Yes, OpenOffice.org 1.0.1 and EasyOffice Premium they are very good programs.
Old 19th Jan 03, 07:35 PM

PGHammer
Quote:
Originally posted by Fisher@Dec 30 2002, 10:59 PM
Yes, OpenOffice.org 1.0.1 and EasyOffice Premium they are very good programs.
Granted, though neither includes an e-mail application.

People keep talking about Word being the centerpiece of Office; nonsense (in my humble opinion).
The *real* flagship Office application is (surprisingly) *Outlook*.

In corporate environments (especially those with Microsoft Exchange Server) Outlook is the standard mail client.
In small-office/home-office or personal usage, Outlook is most often used to connect to the ISP (as a POP3 client). Either way, Outlook brings surprising power to mail management, considering that Outlook has historically been the *red-headed stepchild* of Office.

Perhaps that is why Outlook has gotten more developer attention in Office 11 B1 Enterprise Edition than any other single application.

Old 20th Jan 03, 12:13 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
PGHammer wrote: "The *real* flagship Office application is (surprisingly) *Outlook*."

Hardly a surprise. Those writing viiri and shit seems well aware.....
Old 20th Jan 03, 03:32 AM

PGHammer
Quote:
Originally posted by .unicorn@Jan 19 2003, 07:13 PM
PGHammer wrote: "The *real* flagship Office application is (surprisingly) *Outlook*."

Hardly a surprise. Those writing viiri and shit seems well aware.....
There are anti-virus program plug-ins that work with Outlook (specifically NAV 200x) and even with Exchange (NAV 200x for E-Mail Gateways). If you have problems with malicious scripts and virus-borne e-mail (or worry about either), grab a copy of NAV *pronto*.
Old 20th Jan 03, 03:43 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Or the opposite; it's a long time since I kicked Outlook. (And I have a antivirus application running, not NAV but anyways, I'm not worried). And thanks, nevertheless.
Old 23rd Jan 03, 01:11 AM

PGHammer
Quote:
Originally posted by .unicorn@Jan 19 2003, 10:43 PM
Or the opposite; it's a long time since I kicked Outlook. (And I have a antivirus application running, not NAV but anyways, I'm not worried). And thanks, nevertheless.
I'm now *Officially Curious*...why *did* you kick Outlook to the curb?

(Especially since you didn't do the same to the rest of Office.)

Now *granted* Outlook 95 and even 97 were somewhat doggy (and in Outlook 95's case, very doggy); however, Outlook 98 decidedly wasn't doggy at all (in fact, in one of Microsoft's decidedly *sneakier* stealth-distribution ideas, Outlook 98 was literally *given away* not just to upgraders from older versions of Outlook, but with various Microsoft Press titles and even magazines such as Ziff-Davis' PC Computing (North American Edition). It marks the *only* time that any component of Microsoft Office, for *any* operating system, was literally given away.). *This* was the version of Outlook that started getting rave reviews...and causing Qualcomm sleepless nights.
Old 25th Jan 03, 07:19 PM
Mega Mod

wase4711 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wase4711 Send a message via MSN to wase4711
Well, i think Outlook is probably the #1 used thing in the M$ Office suite; betwen ISP connection, email, contact management, calendar and scheduling stuff, it ends up being the proggie I use the most..
It IS bloated, slow, and prone to problems, but so are most proggies you use continuously every day..

I actually like the Office 11 version of Outlook; maybe still a bit buggy, but its got most of the things covered that the typical user needs..

And yes, if your are behind a router/firewall, and have Norton Antivirus running and updated, the chances of being hacked or "virused" are really minimal...

I use it at work, and at home, and have yet to lose a file or email or proggie, when I had everything running as it should be.

Just my .02

wase4711
Old 25th Jan 03, 08:41 PM

kamikazee
Send a message via AIM to kamikazee
The new outlook does look better and is configured better. I like it's setup a whole lot better. Also I don't know if anyone noticed but front page in office 11 now comes with built in ftp support.