BetaONE will rise again!

Old 8th Dec 02, 05:03 PM

Nichotin
I almost spilt my coffe after upgrading my testbox to RedHat 8...
Same thing almost happened after i saw Lindows, and heard about Lycoris.

Seems like everyone want to create a userfriendly linux, but the truth is, you can't. Those people havent realized that people can't get far in linux without trying, failing and reading stuff. And the worst thing is that they also have forgotten that you cant get far without ./configure.

I have also studied the typical lindows user. They simply dont use linux applications. All they do is to try to get their games to work. This eliminates the point of having linux at all. Why use linux when you only use windows apps?

Although Linux isnt user friendly, its still one of the most stable OS'es.
I use it, but thats because i simply dont play games. I run a server, and i like KOffice much better than M$ Office.
Old 8th Dec 02, 05:49 PM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally posted by Nichotin@Dec 8 2002, 05:03 PM
Seems like everyone want to create a userfriendly linux, but the truth is, you can't. Those people havent realized that people can't get far in linux without trying, failing and reading stuff. And the worst thing is that they also have forgotten that you cant get far without ./configure.
This is also true with Windows. If you can't seem to do something correctly the first time, you have to search for answers on the issue. The ./configure command is only useful if you install stuff from source, so it's not particularly useful for binary distros like Red hat/Mandrake/Debian/"any other binary distro you wish to place here".
Old 8th Dec 02, 09:17 PM

devilotx
Send a message via AIM to devilotx
I use lindows, and its not to get my windows games and software to work, its cause I like the interface and the fact that when I install it on a shitty 233 mhz computer I have it still flys

With lindows semi-windows interface its easier for novices and windows users to get through the basics to do simple shit like check email and the like....

Not everyone using lindows is looking for a cheap way out, I've used other distro's but I just like lindows... click and run is a nice feature... too bad I dont have a full access acount
Old 8th Dec 02, 09:31 PM

Nichotin
devilotx, install windows on it.

or, use redhat 7.3 or something with linux apps
Old 8th Dec 02, 10:38 PM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally posted by Nichotin@Dec 8 2002, 09:31 PM
devilotx, install windows on it.

or, use redhat 7.3 or something with linux apps
he he. Have fun trying to install WinXP on that.

Red hat. Yuck . Mandrake. Getting there . Gentoo. Heavan. sweet, sweet heavan.
Old 9th Dec 02, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Linux will rule over Windows oneday. Its rate of development is faster than that of Windows. I was amazed when I could play my DivX videos in a 8mb Video Card under Linux with no probs. Linux runs better than Windows under low grade computers. I know how it is impossible to enjoy a DivX movie under Windows with 8mb of Video RAM.
*Pretty much off topic as one could think*
But that's the fast I just mentioned, which wasn't important enough to start a new topic to say that

One the other side, as a Home User, I am forced to say that: installing programs etc. in Linux is hard than in Windows. The main reason is why, there is not much self-installing packages that runs under Linux yet. (But soon in the future, I hope they will). Plug'n'Play capability is also another issue.
Old 9th Dec 02, 11:58 AM

Nichotin
Quote:
Originally posted by craftyc@Dec 8 2002, 11:38 PM
Red hat. Yuck . Mandrake. Getting there . Gentoo. Heavan. sweet, sweet heavan.
Redhat 7.3 is ok, but 8 is total crap. Slackware is l33t, and so is gentoo. But personally, if i could only figure out the installer, i'd use freebsd.
Old 9th Dec 02, 12:42 PM

buildid
Send a message via AIM to buildid
installing suse 8.1 pro will give me a compleet desktop with internet and office suite , my son could do this .

comparewith 2 years ago they made a big step forwards ,

But before installing make sure your hardware supports linux most people do not , and if they fail it is the fault of linux.

try knoppix a live-cd to test linux

and for ./configure using rpm is so easy using a live update tool also
installing a crack is with windows is also the same as ./cofigure you have to read siple is that.

remember the time when you have to learn DOS or the first time windows well this is the same try a little and you will learn how to use it.

and yes if i see xandros it is impressive what they have done one of the best user friendly linux systems easey update tool apt-get debian based i use it with suse also .

just try to read there are so many webpages with good howto.s for newbies a child can do the wash .

but find out if your hardware supports linux it is as easy as that ....................
Old 9th Dec 02, 09:14 PM

Darkwolven is an unknown quantity at this point
Lindows click and run is built on top of App-get. That's why Debian is under the the Lindows set-up. Still, Lindows will be the Linux to get in a few years for Linux newbies wanting to get away from MS at the rate they're going. I like Mandrake for it's ease to use.
Old 14th Dec 02, 06:01 PM

3MTA3
Redhat 8.0 big step backwards, 7.3 is just ok, mandrake 9.0 has a way to go, SUSE 8.1 is very nice and Gentoo looks nice. I will try that flavor next.