BetaONE will rise again!

Old 17th Nov 02, 10:18 PM

Megaduce is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Megaduce Send a message via MSN to Megaduce Send a message via Yahoo to Megaduce
anyone has a complete idiots guide on how to install and configure invision board please help
Old 21st Nov 02, 04:44 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Sephiroth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth
K here goes

I'm not sure if you need to know how to install PHP or not, if so, I'll post that later on

MySQL:

Head over to http://www.mysql.org and download the installer of latest stable release of MySQL for Windows. Run the installer, and if you change the path, edit the commands in here accordingly. Navigate to C:\mysql\bin\ and run winmysqladmin.exe

The app will open and prompt you for a username and a password, fill in the info with whatever you want, then to make sure everything goes smoothly, open a command prompt and run these two commands:

1: net stop MySQL

2: net start MySQL

it may be net stop mysqld / net start mysqld , if one doesn't work the other will, from member I can't remember which it is, leaning towards MySQL though, lol

No configuration is needed in the webserver for MySQL, so your basic install is done. Unless you want to get into fine tuning the performance, you don't need to do anything else for a local webserver or a small website.

The next thing you need to do is create a MySQL database to use for Invision Board. You can do this one of two ways, one is from within the winmysqladmin.exe program, which I don't have in front of me, so I'll go through the other way.

Open a command prompt, type cd c:\mysql\bin depending on the install dir, enter, then type mysql and hit enter

This should start the MySQL command line, from here we'll make a database named IBF to install InvisionBoard in.

Type this exactly: create database IBF;

substituting IBF for the name of the database you want to use, however make sure that the semicolon is after the database name, also, I don't believe you can use spaces in the database name, could be wrong though

After that's done, you can exit out of the mysql program and command prompt.

Download IBF and unzip it to your servers webroot or a subforum.

Open in your browser http://url.to.your.servers.forums.di...sm_install.php

This should display the Invision Board installer. It will ask for your MySQL username and password, which will be the username and password you entered in the beginning when you first ran winmysqladmin.exe , the name of the database, which is the name of the database you used when creating one earlier, and the MySQL port number, which you can leave blank, but if it complains, use port 3306 , and the IBF table prefix, which can, and probably should if you're a first time user of IBF, be left blank.

From there, it's just a simple matter of pressing next until the installer is over, it will also on the first page ask you for your board Administrator's username and pass, which will be whatever you want it to be, and when it's done it will put you at the IBF login page, where you will login as whatever you configured the Administrator account to be. You'll have links to the Admin CP from there, and from there, most of the options will explain what to do, but if you have any specific questions about anything post them here and I'll explain

If you need PHP installed let me know here and what web server you're running on, IIS or Apache, and I'll walk you through that too. Also, if by some chance of luck you are running Linux, then the entire portion of this for installing and configuring MySQL is for the most part completely invalid and I'll rewrite it again for Linux

Good luck bud, if you have any probs let me know
Old 22nd Nov 02, 12:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Megaduce Send a message via MSN to Megaduce Send a message via Yahoo to Megaduce
Hey thanks dude I'm forever in your death but the only thing is how to configure Invision Board, how do I change the default logo that comes with the defaul skin you know the one that looks like this one but the logo is yellow and put in some text like we have here see the above left hand corner of this page the BetaOne logo so to speak :P
Old 22nd Nov 02, 01:22 AM

Quote:
what web server you're running on, IIS or Apache, and I'll walk you

WIIS 5.0
Old 22nd Nov 02, 12:38 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Megaduce@Nov 21 2002, 07:48 PM
Hey thanks dude I'm forever in your death but the only thing is how to configure Invision Board, how do I change the default logo that comes with the defaul skin you know the one that looks like this one but the logo is yellow and put in some text like we have here see the above left hand corner of this page the BetaOne logo so to speak :P
easiest way I can tell you right now as I'm half way asleep is make one, save it as logo.jpg, replace the logo.jpg in webserverroot\forums\style_images\1\ :P
Old 23rd Nov 02, 02:19 PM

Thanks dude I'll let you know how everything works out
Old 23rd Nov 02, 06:10 PM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
Read my guide:

http://forums.invisionpower.com/inde...ST&f=84&t=8624

cya,
Will
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 24th Nov 02, 01:28 AM

Thanks dude but one question why do I need active perl and the DBD files just wondering that is all
Old 24th Nov 02, 01:31 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Megaduce@Nov 23 2002, 08:28 PM
Thanks dude but one question why do I need active perl and the DBD files just wondering that is all
I was wondering that too looking at your guide.... you need Perl and the DBD files for Ikonboard and most other CGI based bboards (UBB for example) but for IBF? IBF is completely PHP.... the IBF running here doesn't require Perl, the /forums/ directory on B1's server is not CGI enabled and it runs fine... same with running an IBF on my own box
Old 24th Nov 02, 01:44 AM

I wonder if he is trying to get me install a sub7 on my PC please dont even think of it man h34r:" class="inlineimg" /> h34r:" class="inlineimg" />