BetaONE will rise again!

Old 6th Oct 01, 08:18 AM
psilocybe

Ok heres a problem I have recentley encountered.
I got a stick of 64meg and 128meg unbranded pc133 in this board and everything works ok. I later add a stick of unbranded 256meg pc133 and something dont seem right, so I do a norton check and one of the sticks is faulty. Obviously I then checked by elimination tom find it was the new stick. So I exchanged it and got same results, then I exchanged for branded and got same fault.
Any help would be appreciated please.
Old 6th Oct 01, 09:28 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Sephiroth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth
test each stick one at a time, leave only one stick installed, test it, change sticks, test again, do this for all three sticks of ram, if each test out to be ok it is probably a bad motherboard or something in the bios is not setup correctly, i have the same motherboard as you and i don't have this problem, i have 1 256 meg stick and 2 64 meg sticks installed without a problem
Old 6th Oct 01, 12:43 PM
psilocybe

yep the elimination process that I spoke about in my previous post was each stick tested one at a time in every dimm socket. Yet each time only the new stick shows as faulty. Wierd I reckon.
Old 6th Oct 01, 02:02 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Bads is an unknown quantity at this point
I had this problem in the past

Wich operating system do you have ?

windows 2000 and XP support more than 192megs of ram but not windows 95,98, or ME

In windows ME in the past I have 256 megs of ram and when I test it with Norton,

Norton found a default stick ???
In windows 2000 or XP all is ok

I run XP with 512 megs of ram and all is working fine and I run the same stick that cause a fault in windows ME

The question is what is your OS ?
Old 6th Oct 01, 02:58 PM
psilocybe

yep me finx ya may have the answer since my OS is ME, I didnt realise that it would only accept such a small amount though, ya would have thought it would at least cope with 512meg.
Old 6th Oct 01, 04:10 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Sephiroth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth
hmmm, i thought the limit for 98 and ME was 512
Old 6th Oct 01, 04:38 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Bads is an unknown quantity at this point
[quote]Originally posted by Adam878639:
hmmm, i thought the limit for 98 and ME was 512<hr></blockquote>

I think the limit for 98 and ME is 192 megs
Old 6th Oct 01, 04:51 PM
psilocybe

well its definately more than 192 cos here is a quote from Crucial Memory's site 'Crucial recommends at least 96MB for Windows ME, and 256MB or more if you're planning to take full advantage of the operating system's built-in multi-media capabilities.'

Seems I have not the answer to my problem after all. Thanks for the replies anyway people. I guess I gonna have to do more searching, although I still think its a really wierd situation I find myself in.
Old 20th Oct 01, 08:54 AM
david42018

well the limit is somewhere between 256-512 because once u get to 256mb, ME doesnt know how to efficiently handle it so..
Old 20th Oct 01, 12:01 PM

Beta Spanky
It is true that 98 and ME won't efficiently handle more than 256 or 512 but you can still run that much ram.

One thing I have ran into in the past is the contact points on the ram. For some reason, ram with silver contact points would not work, only gold contacts would work.

Another thing to check would be to see if the ram is actually 133 ram. If your clocked at 133 and trying to run 100 ram, you will have lots of problems.

But to re-emphasize, you can have more than 256megs of ram on a 98 or ME machine, and it will run. I did it for some time. I ran 98SE with 512 ram without any problems.