BetaONE will rise again!

Old 18th Mar 02, 08:17 PM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
My IP changes from time to time, not very often but always when my ISP messes things up, and sometimes at reboots. I run a small slow and sluggish server for my friends. Iīm behind a router at home and now I am somewhat pussled with the settings in G6...

...Do I really have to manually tell G6 every time my IP changes?

I may be a stupid idot, I donīt really understand all help texts from bulletproof. As Iīm behind the router PASV mode is the only way to go. If I get it right the actual internet-ip should be typed in at G6-->server setup--> Multi IP Settings-->Passive Mode IP. Is that right? Is there a way to make G6 fix this automatically (like RaidenFTPd does f eks)?

thanks,
Old 18th Mar 02, 08:57 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Homie is an unknown quantity at this point
Hej .unicorn

If you go to main setup there is a "tab" calleded dynamic IP, I think this might solve your problem.

Homie
Old 18th Mar 02, 09:26 PM

Hej you too.

Thank you, a kind of compliment I guess. But that doesnīt help me Iīm afraid...just making me even more confused.
When I go to that tab and tells G6 to autocheck my ip it recognizes only the internal ip of the machine here at the LAN. That seems logical to me, my problem is more that as the server is behind a router I wonder if it really works when ppl get here and tries to connect with pasv mode.

Maybe I donīt have a problem?

.unicorn

[quote:cfb3a51228][i:cfb3a51228]Originally posted by Homie [/i:cfb3a51228]
[b]Hej .unicorn

If you go to main setup there is a "tab" calleded dynamic IP, I think this might solve your problem.

Homie [/quote:cfb3a51228]
Old 18th Mar 02, 09:47 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Cactus is an unknown quantity at this point
Ji .unicorn,

I don't think the problem lies in your G6 settings, but in the router. Most routers have some kind of forwarding service. What you must do (if my thoughts are correct) is simple forward all incoming request on the FTP port your running to the internal IP address that your G6 is running on, regardless of the requested address.

This way if your dynamic IP address changes, the request on port 21 (for instance) still be forwarded to your fixed internal IP.

You might have to turn of passive mode tho, of toggle the sestings to see what work best.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Cactus
Old 30th Mar 02, 03:35 PM

DJSUB
If you have problem with your Dynamic IP www.no-ip.com could help you, it could turn your dynamic ip into static hostname to resolve your problem.

Enjoy!
Old 30th Mar 02, 04:10 PM

Thank you guys.
I have no problems with my router or the port forwarding config.
I allready use the services of dyndns.org and dns2go.com.

The problem is that I don't know exactly if I'm doing the right thing in G6. In Main setup-->Multi IP Settings I have ticked the choice for Passive Mode IP and there is the problem: I put my external IP there by hand. Is there no way that G6 can handle this automatically? Do I have to do this by hand?

No other problems. Thanks.
Old 31st Mar 02, 05:14 AM

DJSUB
Hi mate,

I didnt put anything on Multi IP Settings but i put my internal external ip in dynamic ip setting & did'nt check the Enable IP changes monitor.
Old 31st Mar 02, 06:58 AM

Ok, Thanks!
I'll try it this way for a while...

.unicorn

[quote:4d6d3990b0]Originally posted by DJSUB:
[i:4d6d3990b0]Hi mate,

I didnt put anything on Multi IP Settings but i put my internal external ip in dynamic ip setting & did'nt check the Enable IP changes monitor. [/i:4d6d3990b0][/quote:4d6d3990b0]
Old 12th Apr 02, 12:17 AM

...but for beeing honest I forgot it.

No, it didn't work. What that happened was that the server ended to serve, ie no more PASV connections were possible.

As I sometimes am an ignorant unpatient idiot I decided to throw G6 out... Some software is good but made with an interface that I can't handle. Of course this worries me a bit as most ppl seem to find G6 "easy to config". Well, I don't.

So, now I run GuildFTPd instead. It sure works and I had no problems with using it in conjuntion with my dynamic ip and router and pasv mode.

Then, for a finish, thank you for the input! Appreciated it!

.unicorn

[quote:5de97366b1][i:5de97366b1]Originally posted by DJSUB [/i:5de97366b1]
[b]Does it work?

If didn't, try to use no-ip updater from no-ip.com because i'm using it without any problem. [/quote:5de97366b1]