BetaONE will rise again!

Old 10th Oct 02, 02:23 PM

Stringent is an unknown quantity at this point
Just upgraded my 7.3 installation. Went without a hitch, but I let it upgrade my GRUB loader, which I shouldn't have done I think. NEways I dual boot with XP Pro using BootPart, and it wouldn't load.

Thankfully I had the sense to do a boot disk and managed to get into Linux and reinstall GRUB on the 1st Boot partition, worked then.

Haven't had much chance to explore RH 8 yet, the graphical improvements are noticable and nice. Still feels slower than XP to me, and takes a seemingly long time for stuff to load.

Still, it does my programming flawlessly so I am happy!
Old 10th Oct 02, 05:02 PM

craftyc
If you want speed, then I suggest you look at a source based distro like Gentoo or sourcemage.
The advantages to these distros is that everything is compiled for your computer by your computer.
However the major disadvantage is that it takes ages for the system and any software to be installed.

Another thing about source based distros is that they don't try to hide anything from you. This means that you are in control and have to do everything.

If you're not afraid of the disadvantages then I suggest that you take a look at a source based distro.
Old 12th Oct 02, 11:55 AM

Stringent is an unknown quantity at this point
I suppose a distro like that is for the advanced user. While I am OK in Linux I still find myself referring to a book on how to do things. I guess by the time RedHat 10 or something hits the market it will be quite good.

I will have a look at those other distros though.

Thanks.
Old 13th Oct 02, 07:23 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Just made a red hat 8 install. Lookin pretty good so far. But as a newbie I'm still having trouble understanding how to mount the fat patitions on the hd's in this machine. SuSE 8 doesn it automatically, which is nice.

Last edited by rikytik at Oct 13 2002, 01:24 PM