BetaONE will rise again!

Old 29th Sep 02, 02:01 PM

Woogieman
Talk about your ultimate SpyWare:
One of the members of a list I frequent discovered a new feature provided by M$. Read the message text, then visit the listed site, then ask yourself why would M$ volunteer to do this on the sly???

"Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this, my firewall stopped a
packet from winword.exe from going to www.nsrl.nist.gov. After
checking traffic logs, i found the svchost went to it, and explorer
went to it, did not have packet logging on so I don't know what it was
sending. Any one else see this?"
Old 29th Sep 02, 05:23 PM

jefexp
sounds to me it was the auto time sync contacting the atomic clock to sync your computer's time to real time.

Just a guess though.....
Old 29th Sep 02, 07:12 PM

Woogieman
No, the packet was addressed directly to a location at _www.nsrl.nist.gov. He already had used XPAntSpy to turn off all the M$ call home's (including the clock).
Old 29th Sep 02, 11:28 PM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
With a decent firewall I have since long stopped winworld and explorer and... all microsoft stuff from all communicating of their own.
Now it seems as the right thing to do. Basically I'm not interested in my word-processor going to the Net. They really do some strange things, m$.

But I would like to know exactly what theese apps are intended to talk about!
Old 29th Sep 02, 11:42 PM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
Read this:

Code:
http://www.nsrl.nist.gov/inventory.txt
its a list of all the software that connects to the above site- there is a whole lot of microsh1t stuff on there. Still wouldnt mind knowing what was sent though

Old 30th Sep 02, 12:45 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Reading that list is some work DoG!

I found this at their homepage:

"The National Software Reference Library (NSRL) is designed to collect software from various sources and incorporate file profiles computed from this software into a Reference Data Set (RDS) of information. The RDS can be used by law enforcement, government, and industry organizations to review files on a computer by matching file profiles in the RDS. This will help alleviate much of the effort involved in determining which files are important as evidence on computers or file systems that have been seized as part of criminal investigations."

Thank you Jesus for my firewall...
Old 30th Sep 02, 01:07 AM

FreeUS
damn, this an important link dog!. Thanks to post it!. I never had an idea about it!.
Quote:

The RDS can be used by law enforcement, government, and industry organizations to review files on a computer by matching file profiles in the RDS. This will help alleviate much of the effort involved in determining which files are important as evidence on computers or file systems that have been seized as part of criminal investigations.
All this page have to be posted on the next agreement of the next SP isnt?. Is this privacy invation?
Old 30th Sep 02, 01:36 AM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
Quote:
Originally posted by FreeUS@Sep 30 2002, 01:07 AM
damn, this an important link dog!. Thanks to post it!. I never had an idea about it!.
Quote:

The RDS can be used by law enforcement, government, and industry organizations to review files on a computer by matching file profiles in the RDS. This will help alleviate much of the effort involved in determining which files are important as evidence on computers or file systems that have been seized as part of criminal investigations.
All this page have to be posted on the next agreement of the next SP isnt?. Is this privacy invation?
As far as i'm concerned it IS an invasion of privacy. Just what the US goverment could do to me as a European citizen is unclear but i object to this being done without my knowlege or consent, time to dig out open office and star office 6 again.

Old 2nd Oct 02, 03:02 AM

Dudelive is an unknown quantity at this point
I am not at all happy with a program that calls out when and where it wants to, so if you go back and explore the site real good and follow the links on the pages you may get a hint as too what is happening. ....

With that all said there is a link at the bottom of the first page to send e-mail and simply ask. The worst that can happen is it will not get answered. I still like firewalls that STOP out bound traffic as has been stated.

@ Woogieman & Dog Thanks for the attention you paid and the information

Last edited by Dudelive at Oct 1 2002, 09:05 PM