BetaONE will rise again!

Old 14th Aug 05, 12:26 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
XPSP2 doesn't see my memory
or at least only part of it. Here is what that gives:

Mobo: ASUS A8N-Sli
Processor: AMD 64 3700+
RAM: 4 x Corsair 1024MB

Situation: XP Pro doesn't report all the 4GB of RAM. It claims 3GB. This is reported at different places, for example by right-clicking "My Computer". Frustrating. During the boot sequense it looks as the computer (mobo) works allright. The BIOS reports 4GB RAM.
WinXP Pro 64 reports 4GB.

Done: I have tried a few different switches in boot.ini, including "/PAE". I have checked the RAM modules one by one and they all report 1024 MB. I have checked the M$ database without finding the page describing what I should do. However I have found that XP Pro is supposed to supposed up to 4GB RAM memory...

Suggestions or even known solutions are freak'n welcome!
Old 14th Aug 05, 12:41 AM
Administrator

BearCat will become famous soon enoughBearCat will become famous soon enough
Suggestion: send 1 of your RAM modules to me
Old 14th Aug 05, 04:14 AM
BetaONE Supporter

lickablepig is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Does that mean u be dual booting between 2 WINXP"s 32 bit & 64 bit?

I've read bunches of late on the supposed 4GB Issue w/ XP. Some say this some say that... Are you just wanting My Computer to read 4gigs?

Or do you have an app that needs to utilize over 2GB or whataya do with the memory specifically. I think the maximum Windows XP will let you use in a particular application (ur app goes here is 2 GB's.

Are you making whale, or perhaps dolphin music, or just recording/layering too many tracks?

XP SP2 will support 4GB of physical memory but unless you use the the /3GB switch in your boot.ini file then only 2GB of the memory will be available to applications. The other 2GB is allocated to the OS.

Also I've read that by using the /3GB option the memory management takes a performance hit...

Here's a helpful KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;316739

workaround maybe while waiting for a solution u could set up a "virtual drive" in your RAM that is 2 GB in size & allocate the Windows pagefile to this virtual RAM-drive.

Result You have 2 GB physical memory + have the hottest and fastest page file on ur block... The performance should be nearly identical as a system running with all 4GB dedicated to host applications. Shouldn't it?

just repeating what i read, not a ram guru.
Crucial is good call them for sum answers...

Often Win XP will throw errors when 4Gig is installed.
there are several fixs for this.
Quote:
1 using your ram as a swap file.
first windows already does this and only uses the harddrive when physical memory is full.
however it will still use your HD for some windows functions such as error log (one would assume this is turned off for audio anyway)
to do the ram drive type swap file you have to turn off swap file completely (make sure error loggin is off.)
this is generally a video editing tweak, however with sampling becoming so big it will help.
the easiest is to set in windows to allow access to only 3800mb (although dos is not a real part of XP it still uses the old style himem type preloading,
using 200mb) this is where the blue screens can come from.
start, run, msconfig, boot ini, advanced, set maxmem to 3800 when you have 4G installed. this will solve the 4g issue.
i dunno if this will make "My Computer" right click props say 4GB.

But it's a known issue google it, prolly don't wanna hear that but all kinds of peeps out there are experiencing lil idiosyncrocies with all new mbs/cpu's... like it always been. hehe.

Arstecnica is a great place to search for clues too. Cya later uni... jiz

EDIT: or u could send BC & me each 1GB stick.
("(")_)0

Last edited by lickablepig : 14th Aug 05 at 04:18 AM.
Old 14th Aug 05, 10:11 PM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
You gready bastards...

jiz: I got you: I did some serious googling and what did I find? Not a solution for getting my missing memory useable, oh no. I found that half your reply is a copy and paste thing from the Sonar forum somewhere! Not strange that nothing works. I would like to use my RAM for photoshop and pictures, no freak'n whale songs here.

Anyway: I have played with different switches in boot.ini, manually put them htere and tried with msconfig. No help. I also tried to force XP to use no paging file. Didn't help. And I have read numerous stories about people having the same problem. Some claim they solved it but funny enough noone says how they solved it. There is something strange here.
I allready use 2GB for a ramdrive. But I can't make a ramdrive that XP can use before I load XP and when XP is loaded there isn't more than 3GB RAM available to the machine. For the moment I'm clueless but I'll keep working on it. I guess it will end with me using the XP AMD64 version but then I'll miss a lot of drivers instead.

regards,