BetaONE will rise again!

Old 14th Jun 05, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Jarod888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Jarod888
powering off issue
I just recently got my old computer up and running again after I moved. I am in the process of building a new one. Anyways I got a new Cordless keyboard from Thermaltake, the Xavier one.

I turned off my computer, and when I turned it off I noticed that It had 6 Security updates to install. So it finished installing the updates and turned itself off.
I unplugged my old keyboard and mouse, and plugged in the new receiver for the wireless one I got. I turned back on the computer and hit the synch buttons so the ky board and mouse would work.
I got logged in to windows and 30 seconds later the computer rebooted it self. I figured it might be something to do with the updates so i tried again.

Needless to say the computer reboots it self every 30 seconds now so far 35-40 times, but only after I log in. It wont reboot at the welcome screen with the password box. I am running XP corp Sp2. The powersupply was replaced about 7 months ago, it is a thermaltake 480 watt. it ran fine this morning, I had to do some updating of programs and such but now it wont stay on. Please help.
Old 14th Jun 05, 02:23 AM
Administrator

Ok so I finally got the computer to reboot to safe mode, and did a restore point back to before I installed the 6 security updates. I t seemed to fix the problem. I will update more later.
Old 15th Jun 05, 04:25 PM
Administrator

User Needs has disabled reputation
I had a problem just like this, and each time I installed those updates my system wouldn't boot. I then turned off auto-updates and even though the update was off each time I did updates it would installed from those that had already been downloaded! So I would delete those updates IF they still give you problems the next time you update.

My problem started when I Ghosted with updates ready to install!
Old 18th Jun 05, 04:40 AM

Dudelive is an unknown quantity at this point
Go in to device manager/Advanced Tab/Startup and recovery/ click the settings button/
Remove the check from the box "Automatically Restart"

Now it won't restart but may give the BSOD and then you can read the error message and figure out which file is the problem.

Although it sounds like you are on the correct track by using the restore point and then doing an update to the system without letting it be done automatically. Look in the event viewer for signs of the error also.

Thanks
Dudelive
Old 19th Jun 05, 05:43 PM
Administrator

thanks for the help. I am still investigating the problem.