BetaONE will rise again!

Old 14th Feb 05, 06:16 PM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
McoreD: Shouldn't you feel a little bit safer and better using for example TheBat! instead of Outlook? I mean, FireFox is cool but doesn't mean everything from the Mozilla coders is cool, just like not everything from m$ is bad...

Just a thought - I like TheBat! as it is pretty fast to handle and very safe compared to the more common mail clients. Otoh the combo IE and Outlook and MSN and all that stuff works well together... Too mainstream for me though. What is your total solution to pc related communication?
Old 14th Feb 05, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn
McoreD: Shouldn't you feel a little bit safer and better using for example TheBat! instead of Outlook?
Hi unicorn, I am glad that somebody raised this discussion of comparing outlook to other email clients. 2 Major reasons for me to use outlook are

1/ ability to have all emails, contacts, tasks, calendar items, notes in a single PST file which is located in My Documents for easy backup process.
2/ tight integration with Word including spell&grammer check, autocorrect, autocapitalization of "i" , first letter of a sentence etc

If any other mail client has these features (esp, #1) I will be surely willing to use it. unicorn, what's the method for TheBat! saving/storing emails?

Thanks,
McoreD
Old 15th Feb 05, 06:54 AM

Nah, TheBat! is for mails only. I suspected the reason for you to use Outlook is this ability to integrate. MS have a clever thing there - in the end many will choose a comfortable way... Heck, I even have friends close to me that use MSN...

TheBat! saves the mails, moment... I'm having a look at it now... ah, there they are:
"X:\programa\thebat\mailaccount_x\lot_of_folders_i n_this_level" and then in each of theese folders two files: messages.tbb and messages.tbi, let's guess tha compressed file with all the messages and one file functioning as a sort of index.
Making backups is done by copying the program dir. (I have a mirror of mine in another computer within the LAN.)
For da spekk checking you can use: "The Bat! implements the two most commonly used spell checking engines - Sentry Spelling-Checker Engine (SSCE) and Common Speller API (CSAPI) for Standard and Just-In-Time Spell Checking." SSCE comes with TheBat!, you configure it, it handles your existing *.dic files (read Office dictionary files). CSAPI doesn't come with TheBat! but if you have Office TheBat! can use it (good if you need another language than English).
I don't know about the truth, but the options are out there.

regards,
Old 15th Feb 05, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Impressive unicorn. That's much more than what I expected from TheBat!.

However, strictly speaking my requirements still remain unsolved. Integration wasn't my #1. My #1 was the method of Email storage. The way TheBat! stores emails looks simlar to the way Thunderbird stores emails. I don't see an easy of way having 2004 Emails in folder/file and 2005 emails in another folder/file.

Speaking more about the way I organize PST files: I create a new PST file every year. For 5 years of Emails, I will simply have 5 PST files. I still prefer this email management over other methods that email clients have.

I highly value discussion about the use of different software that fulfills the same requirement. So Discussion about all Email Clients are welcome in this thread...

Cheers,
McoreD
Old 15th Feb 05, 10:31 AM

I forgot a thing about TheBat! in my post above: I have version 2.0. The current version is 3.01 and there are a lot of changes including a new virtual folder technology. From what I can see the system described above remains. Version 2 works good enough and I have no plans of shelling out more money for the upgrade. Lol, we are all different. My choice is based upon security and speed. (I don't own a cell phone, I don't care for MSN and I dislike integrated solutions in general. Sometimes all this forces me to some extra mouse clicks and lost minutes.)

regards!
Old 15th Feb 05, 02:22 PM
Mega Mod

wase4711 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wase4711 Send a message via MSN to wase4711
well, if someone would come out with a proggie that allows you to sync your contacts, calendar, etc with my Blackberry, or Palm, Or PocketPC, I would be glad to dump outlook for it.
Unfortunately, Outlook or Lotus Notes,(even worse crap!) seem to be the primary programs that allow you to do this, and alot of us need the ability to sync that info with our Pc's/Handhelds/ etc...

Am I missing something, or are there other options for doing it all and keeping it all sync'd together?
Old 15th Feb 05, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*McoreD*~
Speaking more about the way I organize PST files: I create a new PST file every year. For 5 years of Emails, I will simply have 5 PST files. I still prefer this email management over other methods that email clients have.
Ok. Then you'll know you are old when you start to sort them par decade instead.

Then you always have the option to have a main folder for each year and then copy a new empty bunch of folders there (like a template).

Sidenote: Digital assesment is a complex task. For example; how does one sort photos? Is the use of keywords better than categories? (definitions thanks...), geography, year, motif, you name it...
Old 17th Feb 05, 01:27 AM

mikeh420
Send a message via ICQ to mikeh420 Send a message via AIM to mikeh420 Send a message via Yahoo to mikeh420
Having to support Outlook where I work, it has to be the worst piece of garbage that MS has come out with. Never ending problems. It's way too complicated for most users. I prefer Outlook Express, it works, period.
Old 17th Feb 05, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

adams is an unknown quantity at this point
at home i use incredimail but i don't need all the extra calendars and syncing with other things, so imail does just as good plus i like the backgrounds.

at work we are forced to use outlook and i haven't had any problems with it but it was a change from outlook express when i first started.
Canon 100-400mm L IS USM
kit lens
Sigma 70-300mm APO DG
Canon 430 EX Speedlight
Dynatran Tripod
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW backpack