BetaONE will rise again!

Old 12th Jan 05, 06:55 AM
BetaONE Supporter

moen is an unknown quantity at this point
Formatting NTFS
Is there a way to format an NTFS partition, other than using the Win XP install CD?
Any one diskette solution?

What is the program NTFSDOS used for?

ALso, What are good Spybot and AD-Aware versions:
Thanks
Old 12th Jan 05, 12:12 PM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
Are you trying to format your boot partition or another drive?

Old 12th Jan 05, 02:22 PM
Administrator

User Needs has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by moen
Is there a way to format an NTFS partition, other than using the Win XP install CD?
Any one diskette solution?
Right click on My computer>manage>Disk Management, then Format!
Partition Magic Will also Format or convert a drive. But it is a 2 diskette solution!
Old 12th Jan 05, 05:47 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Thanks war59312...that helps partly.

I want a quick way of formatting the NTFS boot partition.
Initially i do partition in Disk Management, by putting thye drive to be formatted as slave, but I would like a quicker way to format before restoring a Ghost image. I hyave been doing it using the WinXP install CD, but that take a lont time.

ALSO, Can you have more than ONE anti-spyware program on the computer at the same time
Old 12th Jan 05, 06:35 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
The format should be included in the image, at least it is with Powerquest drive image.

Since the image is a sector by sector copy of the drive, it includes everything including the format. You should be able to restore an image into empty allocated space.
Formating the drive before a restore is a waste of time because the first thing that happens during a restore is that the partition gets deleted.
Dave
Old 12th Jan 05, 07:07 PM
Mega Mod

wase4711 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wase4711 Send a message via MSN to wase4711
Quote:

ALSO, Can you have more than ONE anti-spyware program on the computer at the same time
Yes, most of us have several, since not every spyware program is able to detect every type of spyware...
Old 12th Jan 05, 07:08 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Hi Dave..
Lately I have had some problems with my registry. I have a series of 5 Ghost images for my current boot partition, and the registry problem developed after the fourth image was made. SO that means it is Not in the fourth image, but when I restored the fourth image, without formatting, the problem remained. Same when I restored the earlier image, the third, it was still there. But when I reformatted the partition and then restored the fourth imager, the problem diappeared.
I emailed back and forth with MS and Symantic, and both said that they believed that to get rid of the registry problem you would have to reformat, BEFORE restoring a clean image.
Before this, I always believed that Reformatting was not required, but I never really had a serious registry problem before.
So, I take it you do not agree with this....please comment.
I did not find anything in the Ghost manual saying anything about this...that is whether or not reformatting is required before restoring an image..Do you know of anyplace this is discussed, or explained?
THanks.
moen
Old 12th Jan 05, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Raid762 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Moen , I was also under the impression that Ghost would do a clean write of the partition you are restoring , format and all. however if you wish to format first one solution I have used a few times is the partition manager QTParted off the KNOPPIX cd.
Knoppix is a live Linux CD with many fine features , I have found it usefull for data recovery when connected to the LAN as well as disk management and formatting with many file systems.
Old 12th Jan 05, 11:18 PM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
I for one simply use fdisk and create my paritions and then use Ghost. Simple as that. fdisk creates them in under 90secs...thats three different hard drives atm and 7 paritions...

I use the win me one. lol Its the only good thing that came from win me.

Get here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Windows Me OEM ^^^^
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 12th Jan 05, 11:45 PM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I want a quick way of formatting the NTFS boot partition.
Initially i do partition in Disk Management, by putting thye drive to be formatted as slave, but I would like a quicker way to format before restoring a Ghost image. I hyave been doing it using the WinXP install CD, but that take a lont time.
But...
...there is no need to format before restore an image by Ghost. In fact it is totally waist of time (and money if you need to buy PQM). As Ghost is a pretty competent imaging program it restores the image of the partition and you'll end up with a working partition, even if the target was unformatted or formatted as, f eks, FAT before you started Ghost.