BetaONE will rise again!

Old 1st Jan 05, 08:35 PM

SlickVic78 is an unknown quantity at this point
NAV 2005 Startup Menu Needs To Remain in Default Start Menu Location?
Hello All,

My subscription to NAV 2004 expired, so I upgraded to NAV 2005. The install went smooth, and everything seemed hunky dorey. But when I moved the start menu location to other than the default (since I have different categories within my start menu (since I have tons of programs installed)) and restarted my computer, it kept giving me this pop up message:
Quote:
"Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the repair feature. Please uninstall and reinstall."
I did a search on Symantec's website and found what the problem was. It says that the start menu location needs to stay where the installer places it. The link to the page: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2004090712504306?OpenDocument&src=hot&prod=Norton% 20AntiVirus&ver=2005&csm=no&tpre=
Quote:
Solution 1: Restore the Windows Start menu entry for Norton AntiVirus
This message can happen if you have changed the default location for the Norton AntiVirus shortcuts in the Windows Start Menu. The default locations of the shortcuts are:
  • In the stand-alone version of Norton AntiVirus:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Norton AntiVirus
Of course, after bringing the start menu back to its default location, everything works again. What kind of crap is that where I cannot move a start menu to a different location?

Does anyone have any info as to a way around this? I want to place the start menu within a different location. I have a "Utilities" directory right off the main start menu location I would like to move the NAV 2005 directory into (\Start Menu\Programs\Utilities\Norton AntiVirus).

Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this without having the stupid program yell at me?

Thanks in advance!

BTW- Happy New Years to all of you!

-SlickVic78
  • 80 Gig 7200 RPM Western Digital HDD
  • Lite-On LTR-52327S CD-RW Burner
  • Lite-On SOHW-1633S DVD Burner
  • ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
  • Sound Blaster Audigy
  • Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP-2

Last edited by SlickVic78 : 1st Jan 05 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Fixed the title...
Old 6th Jan 05, 12:58 AM

No one has any idea besides to not use NAV2005? I know there are a majority of you out there that use other progs, but there still has to be a few who continue to use NAV, right?

It's rather annoying have to keep the Norton Antivirus Start Menu Directory within the default location (since the installer does not give you an option where to place it). Is there a file I can modify to change the location check on the Start Menu so it will check to see if it is present in the new location I decide to move it to?

-SlickVic78
  • ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
  • Sound Blaster Audigy
Old 8th Jan 05, 09:53 PM

Woot! I finally got it all worked out. Here is the solution (2 solutions needed which are posted on Page 1 and 3 of this thread at CastleCops: http://computercops.biz/postt78792.html)

The easiest way to summarize this is to do the following:

Open up your Registry and search for the following string (making sure "Match whole string only" is unchecked): "Programs\Norton" <= Also without the quotes.

You will see that whatever comes up, the reference to the default location will be there, just modify the value of each place that has the old reference with the new reference (for me it was "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Utilities\Norton AntiVirus"), and that should do it.

The locations where I found the old references were in:
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\932EEA56C5A47C8499E284F46ACC2016\FC6 B5F6CC906E82478F6AC3871C620B1
AND

Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus\ShortcutPath
The first location it was found may be different for anyone else who is looking to do what I did. Just do a search for what I stated above and you should be fine.

Just make sure you make a backup of your registry before doing this. I take no responsibility if something goes terribly wrong.

-SlickVic78
  • ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
  • Sound Blaster Audigy

Last edited by SlickVic78 : 8th Jan 05 at 11:40 PM.