BetaONE will rise again!

Old 25th Sep 04, 02:41 AM

SIRCOOKS is an unknown quantity at this point
my main drive i think is crashing, i always get the message that windows explorer has encountered a problem, and needs to restart , so i just ctrl alt del, and everything will disappear, and after 2 seconds everything will come back, shouldi buy a new drive and put it as my main drive, or what else can i do to see whatelse can be done?
Old 25th Sep 04, 03:46 AM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
What makes you think it's the drive thats going faulty? Is it clicking or making a lot of noise?

Try running checkdisk and scan the drive for errors, here's a list of checkdisk commands and switches.

Code:
CHKDSK [volume[[path]filename]]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X] [/I] [/C] [/L[:size]]  volume          Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),                  mount point, or volume name.  filename        FAT/FAT32 only: Specifies the files to check for fragmentation .  /F              Fixes errors on the disk.  /V              On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every file                  on the disk.                  On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.  /R              Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information                  (implies /F).  /L:size         NTFS only:  Changes the log file size to the specified number                  of kilobytes.  If size is not specified, displays current                  size.  /X              Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.                  All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid                  (implies /F).  /I              NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index entries.  /C              NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the folder                  structure. The /I or /C switch reduces the amount of time required to run Chkdsk by skipping certain checks of the volume.

Old 25th Sep 04, 01:58 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Tomboy is an unknown quantity at this point
@SIRCOOKS,

I agree with DOG. If the HD is not making strange noises, the problem is likely software, not hardware. I recently had a HD go bad and the first symptoms were occassional BSDs after a period of intense disk activity (it was overheating). Shortly thereafter, I noticed that the drive was making a louder than normal spinning sound. Eventually, the drive failed to spinup on power-on. Recognizing the signs of impending death, I had already backed up all of my programs and data. After swapping out drives, I restored from a backup image and was back in business in about 30 minutes. The moral? Have a current backup of your stuff to avoid a lot of aggrevation and worry.

If you have some corrupted files, you can do a repair installation (assuming you have XP) and your problems should be solved.

Tomboy
Old 25th Sep 04, 09:19 PM
Administrator

belthazor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Have a current backup of your stuff to avoid a lot of aggrevation and worry.
But wasn't it the great BearCat who once said, "Real men don't backup."?

But seriously, losing everything is no picnic. Keep an updated backup.
Old 25th Sep 04, 09:25 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Ultimate irony. Carmen's "back" was up as I tuned in to your response Belthazor.

yeah backups are primordial. I keep an image of c:\ and a redundant copy of my archives and data files on a big hd. I guess the copy could be an image, but it's on an external usb drive which is nice becaue it can be moved anywhere.
Old 26th Sep 04, 06:55 AM
Administrator

belthazor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ultimate irony. Carmen's "back" was up as I tuned in to your response Belthazor.
Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout rikytik.
Old 26th Sep 04, 09:39 PM
Administrator

BearCat will become famous soon enoughBearCat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by belthazor@Sep 25 2004, 09:19 PM
But wasn't it the great BearCat who once said, "Real men don't backup."?

Thats correct, I said that but you forgot the last part :

"BUT, we do cry a lot !" ops:" class="inlineimg" />
If your system supports S.M.A.R.T. you should install a S.M.A.R.T. monitoring program,
as it can save you a lot of tears

----ooO-(_)-Ooo----
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.

Old 26th Sep 04, 10:42 PM

SIRCOOKS is an unknown quantity at this point
whats a good program for monitoring s.m.a.r.t i should use