BetaONE will rise again!

Old 7th Jun 04, 06:50 PM

fritz122
Send a message via MSN to fritz122
This OS is real the Queen of Linux-Distros.
I hav downloadet this. I a Linux Newcomer, find the best what i hav testet.
I hav testet SuSE, Red Hat, Debian, and more and more.

I hav a liddle problem with the updates (Kernel usw. from Xandros Network-Site) after hav errors in the Soundserver. I hav updatet the ALSA -Sound from Xandros.

Can a another Xandros-Freak help me please ?

ok greetings to all here from fritz122 to germany
Old 7th Jun 04, 06:50 PM

Thankbot
1 User already said Thank You!

war59312
Old 7th Jun 04, 11:18 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
This is what I have been saying for nearly 2 years and was disappointed that few people agree. I have version 2.0 and while I had no problems with server based updates, cannot tell you why you have update problems.

I have not been using Xandros much of late, and this weeked bought a LInux magazine (Linux Format) that included a full copy of Mandrake 10. I thought I would try that and see why so many people are staying away from Xandros.

I also got a copy of Suse 9.0 this weekend, but am not sure I have the time or energy to try all this stuff again. I spent so much time in previous years trying all the distros until Xandros 1.0 and then 1.1 and now 2.0 came along. Xandros seems to me to be the big answer to old time Windows users--simple to install, automatic Network configuration (windows and linux) and all drives get automatically mounted. Couldn't be nicer.

I wonder why there is so little interest in it. Small advertising budget I guess. Linux needs a "bill gates".
Old 8th Jun 04, 01:10 PM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally posted by fritz122@Jun 7 2004, 05:50 PM
I hav a liddle problem with the updates (Kernel usw. from Xandros Network-Site) after hav errors in the Soundserver. I hav updatet the ALSA -Sound from Xandros.
I think that the sound card is muted. Run alsamixer in a console window and unmute the master channel (press m).

Hope this helps.
Old 8th Jun 04, 01:13 PM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally posted by rikytik+Jun 7 2004, 10:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rikytik @ Jun 7 2004, 10:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I wonder why there is so little interest in it.[/b]

Because there is Gentoo.

<!--QuoteBegin-rikytik
@Jun 7 2004, 10:18 PM
Small advertising budget I guess.&nbsp; Linux needs a "bill gates".&nbsp; [/quote]
I agree. A ruthless businessman would help Linux be adopted in many places.
Old 8th Jun 04, 09:15 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
<heh heh> CraftyC. You are "The Cool", but I still don't seem to have the intelligence or devotion to figure out the configurations needed to setup a fully functional netork, with MS pc's, and the mounting of all he HD's. Xandros does all that automatically like WindowXP does. Still thinking of installing Mandrake 10 to see what difference, with past distrfos.

Anybody try it yet. I always had a lot of trouble with the usual distros with my laptops (Toshiba and Sony). Xandros is easier for that too.

I wonder how all this will do on the new OQO pocket pc coming out this fall?
Old 9th Jun 04, 08:29 PM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally posted by rikytik@Jun 8 2004, 08:15 PM
<heh heh> CraftyC.&nbsp; You are "The Cool", but I still don't seem to have the intelligence or devotion to figure out the configurations needed to setup a fully functional netork, with MS pc's, and the mounting of all he HD's.&nbsp; Xandros does all that automatically like WindowXP does.&nbsp; Still thinking of installing Mandrake 10 to see what difference, with past distrfos.&nbsp;

Anybody try it yet.&nbsp; I always had a lot of trouble with the usual distros with my laptops (Toshiba and Sony).&nbsp; Xandros is easier for that too.

I wonder how all this will do on the new OQO pocket pc coming out this fall?
If you have a spare PC, there is no harm in putting Mandrake on and trying it. If I had a spare PC I would certainly try it, even though I am 100% happy with Gentoo. AFAIK Mandrake has become a very user friendly distro. Supports a lot of hardware, point and click configuration, loads of wizards, so it shouldn't be too daunting.

Oh and on a side note, Xandros have come out with an "Open Circulation Edition" which allows you to download, use and redistribute the OS for no charge (non-commercial use only though). Take a look at it here - http://www.xandros.com/products/home..._oc_intro.html

What's up with the URL tags? They don't seem to be working.
Old 9th Jun 04, 08:41 PM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
Whoops clicked thank you.

Anyways yeap Xandros Desktop OS Version 2 is the only Linux I use. I hate all the rest. :P Well rad hat is ok but always finding myself going back.
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 21st Jun 04, 06:58 AM

RadiationBoy
Send a message via AIM to RadiationBoy Send a message via MSN to RadiationBoy Send a message via Yahoo to RadiationBoy
hmmm maybe i'll have to try it out. i just intalled mandrake 10 its buggy as hell maybe i just set it up wrong or something but it crashes all the god damn time pissing me off

edit: hmmmmmmmmmm to bad it costs money i have none of that
Old 21st Jun 04, 12:38 PM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally posted by RadiationBoy@Jun 21 2004, 05:58 AM
hmmm maybe i'll have to try it out. i just intalled mandrake 10 its buggy as hell maybe i just set it up wrong or something but it crashes all the god damn time pissing me off

edit: hmmmmmmmmmm to bad it costs money i have none of that
There is an Open Circulation Edition which you can try. Has the features of Xandros Standard Edition, but restricts CD writing to 4x. This wouldn't be a problem though because you can just install K3b from the unsupported archive.