BetaONE will rise again!

Old 9th Jul 02, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Hunted is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Hunted
Heya guys & Gals

I thought we need a page for peeps who wants to use IRC more, but don't understand the concept so well. I got this info on web page and felt like sharing this guys info.. written by Duke on hxxp://www.dooyoo.co.uk/review/294720.html.

"Intrigued by all this complicated Internet mumbo jumbo? Dying to do something fun on the Internet, but unsure of how to go about it? I?m going to suggest something now that you might find fun.

Internet chatting.

Now, there are probably one of three things running through your mind right now after I mentioned those two words. The first is ?What the hell is Internet chatting?? the second might well be ?Ooooh, this was on Coronation Street not so long ago!? and the third is ?Isn?t that where weirdo?s prey on the innocent and naïve??

Believe it or not, I do have the answers to all three of those questions! The answer to the first one, I will give below because it does require some explanation, but the answer to the latter two are ?yes?, and ?rarely? in that order.

Internet Chatting (also called Internet Relay Chat, or IRC for short) is a method of chatting where users join channels (or ?rooms?, hence you hear people refer to chat rooms) and take part in group-based chat. The room analogy is a good one. For your first time in a chat room, imagine yourself to be at a party where you don?t know anyone. You?re standing in a room and you have no idea who anyone is, except everyone is wearing a badge that has a name on it. Not proper names, admittedly, but names nonetheless. Mostly, the majority of people are standing in the middle of the room chatting away to each other, but there are some couples standing in the corners having a more private conversation.

This is what IRC-ing is all about. It may seem all quite daunting at first, but believe me; it takes only a matter of minutes to get to grips with the basics. Hopefully, over the course of the rest of this opinion, I shall give you enough information for you to have a go at IRC-ing yourself.

· Step One ? Selecting some software.
There are numerous programs, and methods, for chatting on the Internet. One method is to use what?s called a Java applet. These are little programs which appear as part of web pages. The problem with these is that you?re really tied down to one ?room? and if you don?t like the people/attitude etc. You?re stuck until you find an applet for another ?room?.

The other method is to use an IRC client (program) which is dedicated to chatting. On the PC, there are three main ones that I can think of offhand: mIRC, pIRCh and Microsoft Chat. I prefer mIRC to the others, as this is the program I was introduced to IRC with, and using it is now second nature to me. The others are not necessarily bad programs; I just haven?t used them, and cannot comment on them.

On the Apple Macintosh you could try IRCle, Snak or PhatIRC. As a PC user, I have no idea what these are like, so try for yourself.

No matter what platform you?re running, I would suggest you go to http://www.tucows.com and follow the links to your computer, then to internet software, then to Chat: IRC to get software to use.

You can also check out some reviews here on Dooyoo for some first hand experience and opinions.

· Step Two ? Installation.
Most software these days is fairly straightforward to install, even for computer novices, so I?ll not hold your hand through this section.

· Step Three ? First steps online.
Again, I?ll not be going into any advanced detail here. I?ll use mIRC as an example of what to expect, and I assume that this will be similar for most IRC programs.

When running the program for the first time, it all may seem a bit daunting. Unfortunately, the technology behind IRC is quite dated and some software does reflect this. mIRC treads a fine line between functionality and usability, and at first sight might look rather scary. Don?t worry; once you get the initial bit over with, everything else is a lot easier.

Somewhere during your first time, you?re going to get asked information. In mIRC, they ask you for your real name, e-mail address and two nicknames to use (one as a backup in case your first choice is in use). My first piece of advice is that you don?t need to give your real name and e-mail address, in fact I would make a point of sternly telling you (whilst wagging my finger in a stern manner) that giving out your details unnecessarily online (whether it?s via email, on the web or in IRC) is A BAD THING.

So, type in a name, any name ?Fred? will do. That goes for e-mail address as well ? fred@bloggs.com perhaps? Then onto your nicknames, type whatever you want (although keep it clean ? some people have rules about rude stuff, and as a first time user you don?t know who they are yet!) and get ready to go.

· Step Four ? Some extra background information.
Believe it or not, IRC is actually a system of different networks which are not connected. The three main networks are called: Efnet, DALnet,IRCHolics ( sorry I had to add that one) and Undernet, although there are other, smaller networks as well. Each network will have its own rules and regulations regarding all aspects of chatting online, whether it?s simply chatting (as you will be doing shortly, hopefully) or getting into setting up your own room for others to visit. When starting to chat for the first time, you need to make two selections: firstly, which network you want to use. Personally (again) I use Undernet, and for the same reasons as I use mIRC ? I was introduced to it, and I?ve made many friends on it. That?s not to say that other networks are any better or worse. Again, once you get the basics out of the way, you can try them out for yourself and see what?s going on.

Ok, you?ve chosen your network (probably from some list that?s available ? in my case this is Undernet) and you?re now confronted with a list of ?servers?. A server is a computer that handles all the chat data and makes sure that everything is running smoothly. A good analogy is that of a train station. If a train station is a server, then train passengers are messages in an IRC chat. Some messages go through the station to other stations, but some stop at the station because they are needed there. Some messages start at a station to go onto other stations. It?s quite easy. The best advice in general about servers is that, if you?re given a choice, choose one that is geographically close to you. (Servers tend to be named by the city and country they?re based in) For people living in the U.K. and using Undernet, for example, you would select ?Undernet: EU, UK, London?. You?re not tied down to the closest, but it helps cut down the delay when chatting.

· Step Five ? Tentative First Steps (no, not the pop group!).
OK, you?re not there yet, but you?re close. You have one final thing to do, and that is select the channel (or ?room?) you wish to join. A long time ago, these were named after the particular chat topic that was popular in the room, so if you joined a channel called #dooyoo for example, you could expect people to be talking about dooyoo. That was a while ago, and while some rooms can still be linked with what they?re called to what they talk about, it?s not really to be expected. mIRC will give you a list of channels to start off with. These will be either general chat rooms (for all ages, all over the world) or dedicated IRC rooms for you to ask your IRC related questions without fear. Select anyone you like the look of - #funfactory or #funchat on Undernet are quite good places to start. Highlight the room of your choice, and hit the ?Join? button. You should be aware that each channel has it?s own set of rules and these are enforced by channel operators (or ?ops? for short). It?s perhaps worth asking if you are unsure what the rules may be, or hang around for a bit and see what other people are doing. Some channels don?t mind swearing, abuse or talk of sex whereas other channels have a zero tolerance policy. Something that might not be obvious first time around is that IRC is a global phenomenon, and even though you might be ?chatting? at 1100pm, it is 4pm somewhere else, and there could be youngsters online. That?s one of the reasons why a lot of the channels first listed in mIRC are general help and chat channels that are suitable for all the family. Of course, the OpCom chat room is a great place to be, although not for the faint hearted!

As an aside, a lot of the more established, and busy chat rooms have their own web sites with pictures of the operators, regular users etc. Some even have meetings where people from all over the world gather in one city for a while to have fun and actually see each other face to face!

See next post........

Last edited by Hunted at Jul 28 2002, 10:05 AM

AMD
Athlon 64 x2 4800+ - Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
- 2048MB RAM - 160 GB SEAGATE Barracuda SATA HDD - Gigabyte 7900GT 256MB PCI Express GFX - CHENBRO SILVER Gaming Bomb
Old 9th Jul 02, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Hunted is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Hunted
Page 2

· Step Six ? Learning A Foreign Language.
Ye gods! What are those people saying? It?s a whole new world out there, and in order to be able to hold a conversation at any sort of normal pace, a new set of abbreviations, acronyms, terminology and language use has evolved. From IRC, a lot oft his has filtered through into other uses. Text messages on mobile phones, for example use a lot of the abbreviations first used on IRC. I?ll try and give you enough to get started without going through every single phrase you?re likely to see online. The easiest way to learn is to ask questions ? if someone uses a phrase you don?t understand, simply ask him or her to explain.

?ASL?? (or ?A/S/L??) ? means age, sex, location. The bane of my life! Some people cannot have a conversation with you without knowing these facts.

LOL, ROFL, LMAO ? ?laughs out loud?, ?rolls on floor, laughing?, ?laughing my ass off?. If you say something funny, you might see this. Some people may also join two of them: ROFLMAO which you should be able to guess.

Op (or Operator) ? people who have a " @ "symbol beside their name are called ?Ops? and they are in charge of whatever room you are currently in. Generally they are nothing more than regular, trusted users of the chat room and at some point were just like you! These people have the power to kick you out, ban you or tell you off if you?re being naughty. (This OP signs could differ from network to network * = ADMINS ; ^SOP's @=AOP's and %=halfops).

Voiced ? people with a ?+? beside their name are voiced. These people are usually regulars, quite trusted, but not enough to be operators or have any power.

TTFN ? ?ta ta for now?. I don?t think this is even an IRC term, but it is used online.

CYA ? see you, as in ?See you later?

IMHO ? ?in my humble opinion?

AFK ? ?away from keyboard?. Usually appended to the end of their nickname to show that they?re not sitting at their computer e.g. DukeAFK.

WTF? ? ?what the feck??. You know what I mean!

PPL ? short for people.

BBL ? ?Be back later?

BBIAB ? ?Be back in a bit?

POPUP ? a small piece of code that usually displays a message, or some kind of ?text picture?

Script ? a (usually) small add on that provides extra features for your IRC program. Some scripts allow you to play mp3 files, display automatic messages when certain things happen or just provide a more colourful experience.

UR ? abbreviation of your. ?I like ur style?, for example.

· Step Seven ? Some final pointers.
Something else you might have noticed and I?ll comment on now are emoticons. You may know them better as ?smilies?. There are loads of them out there, and they?re getting weirder by the day! As an old skool IRC user, I prefer the use of smilies like: . (smiling) or :P. (pouting) or >. (mischievous) rather than the newer ones which look like ^_o_^ (or something similar ? I haven?t got a clue what they?re meant to be either!).

IRC is something that you can grow in to. If you simply wish to chat to other people, then you can stay as blissfully ignorant as you like! If your curiosity gets the better of you, you can get onto more advanced things like writing your own scripts, becoming a channel operator (if you?re invited to) or starting your own permanent channel. The things to do are near endless!

Chatting on the Internet is nothing to be scared of. Lots of people like you try chatting everyday - some like it, some don?t. It?s possible to make lots of friends, if you want to. It?s also a cheaper way to talk to friends and loved ones in foreign countries if they know how to IRC as well.

Going back to the scare story right at the start of this opinion, well, it does happen on extremely rare occasions. But, using some common sense, and you can be totally safe. As stated earlier, never give out personal details unless you are more than 100% sure of whom you?re talking to. The odds of something bad happening to you are like the odds of you being killed in an air crash. Morbid, I know, but highly unlikely.

I think that concludes today?s lesson. Hopefully, I?ve given you enough information to get started. If any of you have any further questions, don?t hesitate to e-mail me via the address on my profile, or for more detailed information on mIRC, there?s a web site at _http://www.mirc.com where you can download the latest version as well as get help on both mIRC and IRC in general. Other help sites include: _http://www.irchelp.org/ which is the official web site of the #IRChelp channel which is based on the Efnet network, but the help contained should be useful for most networks."

Happy chatting!

Last edited by Hunted at Jul 28 2002, 10:09 AM

AMD
Athlon 64 x2 4800+ - Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
- 2048MB RAM - 160 GB SEAGATE Barracuda SATA HDD - Gigabyte 7900GT 256MB PCI Express GFX - CHENBRO SILVER Gaming Bomb
Old 15th Aug 02, 12:58 PM
BetaONE Supporter

jakesnake is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jakesnake
more abreviations:

? : Mean. What?
<,>,^,v : Mean. Left, Right, Up and Down in chatrooms like Excite's Virtual Places.
numbers : Abv. for all numbers, duh! Though there are other uses for numbers as shown.
2 : Abv. To, Too.
4 : Abv. For.
4GIV : Abv. Forgive.
4MAT : Abv. Format.
8 : Abv. Ate.
ASAP : Mean. As Soon As Possible!
ASL? : Mean. Age, Sex, Location?
B : Abv. Be, Bee.
B4 : Abv. Before.
BBFN : Mean. Bye Bye For Now.
BBL : Mean. Be Back Later.
BCOS : Abv. Because.
BI : Abv. By, Bye, Buy.
BINARY : The backbone of the digital language. Consisting of 0's and 1's, this is what all digital technology depends on.
BIOS : Mean. Basic Input Output System.
BIT : Single binary unit. 1 byte contains 8 bits. BLITZ : Mean. To completely wipe a system for reinstallation.
BPS : Mean.1 Bits Per Second. Mean.2 Bytes Per Second.
BRB : Mean. Be Right Back.
BYTE : A singular computer unit comprised origially of 8 bits. A single character ranging from 0 to 255.
C : Abv. See, Sea.
CD : Mean. Compact Disc.
CD-R : Mean. Compact Disc - Recordable. A recordable CD capable of one-time recording.
CD-RW : Mean. Compact Disc - ReWritable. A recordable CD which can be erased and recorded to a large number of times.
CDROM : Mean. Compact Disc Read Only Memory.
CPU : Mean. Central Processing Unit.
DATA : In the computer sense, a digital interpretation of information. For example...a CV document is data if stored on a computer.
DIR : Abv. Directory. Used especially by MS-DOS.
DOS : Mean. Disk Operating System.
EEPROM : Mean. Electronically Erasible Programmable Read Only Memory. Same as an EPROM but with the option of being reset be means of a special electronic device.
EPROM : Mean. Erasible Programmable Read Only Memory. A ROM device which can be written to and reset by exposing to Ultraviolet light.
F8 : Abv. Fate.
FK : Mean. Friendly Kill. Used in online games when a team member kills another team member by accident.
G8 : Abv. Gate.
GB : Mean. Gigabyte (1,024,000,000 bytes).
GG : Mean. Good Game. Used in online gaming to compliment the other game players.
GJ : Mean. Good Job. Used in online gaming towards the person who won the last fight.
GR8 : Abv. Great, Grate.
GUD : Abv. Good.
GUDBI : Abv. Goodbye. Sep.(GUD BI) Good Bye, Good Buy.
GUI : Mean. Graphical User Interface. Windows is a GUI, though not fully an OS due to the requirements that command.com must be present on startup and this is a component of MS-DOS.
HD : Mean. Hard Disk.
JK : Mean. Joke, Joking.
KB : Mean. Kilobyte (1,024 bytes).
KK : Mean. OK. For some strange reason!
L8 : Abv. Late.
L8EST : Abv. Latest.
L8LE : Abv. Lately.
L8R : Abv. Later.
LMAO : Mean. Laughing My bum Off
LMFAO : Mean. Laughing My F*cking bum Off.
LMTO : Mean. Laughing My Tits Off.
LOL : Mean. Laughing Out Loud.
M8 : Abv. Mate.
MB : Mean. Megabyte (1,024,000 bytes).
MIPS : Mean. Million Instructions Per Second. Usually associated with computer benchmarking.
MS-DOS : Mean. MicroSoft Disk Operating System.
NP : Mean. No Problem.
NVRAM : Mean. None-Volatile Random Access Memory.
OMG : Abv. Oh My God!
P : Abv. Pee, Pea.
PLS : Mean. Please.
PMSL : Mean. P*ssing MySelf Laughing.
PROM : Mean. Programmable Read Only Memory. A ROM which can be programmed once but never change thereafter.
R : Abv. Are.
RAM : Mean. Random Access Memory. This is what is used in computer systems and allows data to be called and written at random and any location in memory.
ROM : Mean. Read Only Memory. Usually specially written during manufature, this can only be read from and nothing can be altered on a ROM chip.
ROTFL : Mean. Rolling On The Floor Laughing.
SCSI : Mean. Simple Computer Serial Interface (Please correct me if I'm wrong!).
TB : Mean. Terabyte (1,024,000,000,000 bytes).
TK : Mean. Team Kill. Used in online games when a team member kills another team member by accident.
TNX : Mean. Thanks.
TY : Mean. Thankyou.
TYVM : Mean. Thank You Very Much.
U : Abv. You.
UR : Abv. You're. Sep.(U R) You are.
USB : Mean. Universal Serial Bus.
VDU : Mean. Visual Display Unit. A very old term now replaced by Display or Monitor.
WB : Mean. Welcome Back.
WD : Mean. Well Done.
WTF : Mean. What the F*ck?
WTG : Mean. Way To Go!
Y : Abv. Why?
YVW : Mean. You're Very Welcome.
ZIF : Mean. Zero Insertion Force. If your motherboard is one that has a Socket7 then that socket is a ZIF type socket.
Old 15th Aug 02, 04:17 PM
BetaONE Supporter

M31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh so its you Jakey sending me those incomprehensible SMS messages.

M8 you need help!

Last edited by M31 at Aug 15 2002, 03:17 PM