BetaONE will rise again!

Old 9th Mar 08, 05:44 AM
Original Grounding Father of BetaONE

orig is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to orig
Mac users! Where are you?
So...where are all the Mac users around here? I know there's got to be at least a few. What is everyone's setup? Experiences? Opinions?

Let's get something up and running here, fellow Mac users...we'll be the appropriately small "niche market" of this predominantly Windows forum.

Old 9th Mar 08, 05:07 PM
Retired Crew

Alpine is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alpine Send a message via AIM to Alpine
Hello Orig !

Glad to see you again!
Old 9th Mar 08, 08:29 PM
eh!!

Cyberion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cyberion Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberion
Welcome back indeed..

This Mac lover has for the time being switched sides to Windows, and soon to Ubuntu, that is probably as close as I'll get to Leopard on my pc's.

Have you tried the new Leopard system?
Old 11th Mar 08, 05:52 AM

Good to see you both again also.

I've used, and am using, OS X Leopard. It's wonderful.

I'm actually waiting for the arrival of my brand new MacBook Pro...I think waiting for Apple products is the longest wait *ever*. Even overnight shipping is not quick enough when all you want to do is crack open that sleek desktop replacement and hear the first gong!

As for Windows...I could almost sort of deal with Windows XP. And I did for a few years before I switched. But Vista is a whole new ball game and, to be honest, it drives me up a wall. I initially was helping my Vista-burdened friends with their systems, but have since resorted to OSX86 because it's just easier. Hah.

Ubuntu is nice, I guess. I tried using it back in October just to see if I was skilled enough for Linux and the jury is in: I'm so not. I mean, it's got a lot of great stuff installed standard and you can make it do anything. That's great. It's just that I have so little time lately to dedicate to the kind of learning curve that Linux presents. Perhaps someday when I can make it a true hobby...but right now I'm working on finishing up my degree(s) and I don't need the stress of a command line

Curious, Cyberion: what made you switch back from Mac? Was it pre- or post-OS X?
Old 11th Mar 08, 08:37 PM
Mega Mod

wase4711 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wase4711 Send a message via MSN to wase4711
Well, I guess you can now add me to the list of Mac Owners, too...Waiting for my mac book and Mac Pro to be delivered in the next day or 2, and am really excited at the prospect..

I've been a windows guy for 20+ years, and a beta tester for the last 15 for several companies, MS included, so I have been sort of an "expert" user at all things win-tel for a long long time..

Frankly, the fact that Vista was more of a downgrade than an upgrade, and it wont be long till XP disappears from the world, I decided that Mac really offered the best of all worlds, and since its really easy to run win-tel stuff on a mac now, it sholdn't be a problem dealing with the learning curve; plus, I am reading lots of Mac Books, Magazines, web sites/blogs and all, so It shouldn't take me more than a few days to be comfy working with it.
I just hope its 1/2 as sweet as most Mac fanatics seem to say it is!

Welcome back to B-1!
Old 11th Mar 08, 10:35 PM

fritz122
Send a message via MSN to fritz122
Mac ?? is verry interesst !!
Hello wase4711 (he, 4711 is german Cologne Water !!)

Hav you a cheeper Prise Offer for a little "Mac mini" with Intel Duo Core Prozessor for me ? The cheep hav s ee here in germany with 520 Euro. Is with Intel Duo Core with 2x 1,4 GHz.

I wish a Mac mini for Test the mac OS 10.4 (other the actuell to time).
Mac is another World of Computer Technolgy.

Ok when you hav a already needed Mac mini with cheep prise write me please a PN.

Greetings fritz122
Old 11th Mar 08, 10:54 PM
Mega Mod

Hi Fritz;

No, I do not have a Mac mini; I only have windows machines, until my new Mac pc's are delivered in the next few days..

Sorry!

Does 4711 smell good?

Take care!

Wase4711
Old 13th Mar 08, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Well, I guess you can now add me to the list of Mac Owners, too...Waiting for my mac book and Mac Pro to be delivered in the next day or 2, and am really excited at the prospect..
Well, my MacBook Pro just arrived on Tuesday. It is by far the nicest, fastest, most awesome laptop I have ever used. Did you order the 15" or the 17" model? I find the 17" is a bit too big to be considered "portable" which is ultimately what I need, so I went with the smaller model. You can really feel the superior build quality to this machine...and the speed is blistering.

Switching isn't too hard. I used to read TUAW and the MacRumors Forums in the lead-up to my switch a few years back. By the time I got my Mac, I knew more than I realized and it was easy to learn.

I'd advise you to resist installing Windows as long as possible (or forever) so that you're forced to learn OS X and form new (more efficient) habits.

I'll expect a full report once your order arrives. Don't wear out your "refresh" button on the FedEx tracking page
Old 13th Mar 08, 10:56 AM
Mega Mod

Well, its the UPS page that is getting worn out, so Fed Ex is safe!
I actually am getting just a plain old Mac Book; the 13 incher, and a Mac Pro desktop...
Interesting observation on not installing Windows on it as well. I guess I never really thought about windows as a "bad habit", but you make a good point about being forced to learn OSX and rid myself of the windows "demons"..So, you dont reccomend installing VM Ware or Parallels, just to avoid the temptation"?
I guess I am most concerned about finding good programs that can use the windows data that I have accumulated over the years; things like flashfxp data files, and making sure its easy to import email contacts and calendars.
I have been doing tons of research and I think I am comfortable with most things, but simple things like opening the cd tray and "right clicking" are things I am still unsure about.

I know a week from now, I will be laughing at myself because I was even concerned about some of this stuff!

Just checked UPS and its out for delivery today!
Old 13th Mar 08, 07:10 PM

Well feel free to ask any questions you might have. I've done the migration myself and most of it is pretty easy. Importing Mailbox into Apple's Mail client is pretty easy, although transferring FlashFXP files might be a bit more difficult or you might have to start over. Not sure. But in any case, I'm here to share the wealth!