BetaONE will rise again!

Old 30th Oct 04, 07:08 PM
obi1

Dual Boot Issue with WServer 2003 and XP Pro
I had Windows Server 2003 installed on c: and XP Pro on d: (c: and d: being separate hard drives), and all worked fine with rebooting in either one. Then I had to reinstall Windows Server 2003 on c:, but no start-up menu was created, so I couldn't boot up in XP Pro anymore. So I changed the boot.ini file to give me the option at the start menu, but no matter what configuration I choose for the second line in boot.ini, it will not boot up in XP Pro.

Does anyone have this dual boot scenario, and if so, can you tell me what your boot.ini file reads.

Mine currently reads:
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional" /fastdetect
Old 30th Oct 04, 08:08 PM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
Hey,

Well not sure, but this might work.

Code:
[boot loader] timeout=10 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
cya,
Will
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 30th Oct 04, 10:13 PM
obi1

Thanks M8, wouldn't you know it, it worked. I was sure I tried all combinations, but I guess not. Thanks again.
Old 30th Oct 04, 10:16 PM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
Quote:
Originally Posted by obi1
Thanks M8, wouldn't you know it, it worked. I was sure I tried all combinations, but I guess not. Thanks again.
Hey,

All right guess I will explain a little.

For example:

Quote:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional" /fastdetect
Multi disk is hardly ever used. It Specifies the drive controller number. Anyways rdisk is of course "real physical disk". So you said you had to two disks and two os, one per each. So you start at zero. So first is zero and second is is 1. Then since you have each OS on each hard drive installed on the first partition then you set partition to 1.

And of course you not limited to one install per hard drive either so you could have this as well:

Quote:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
This is called the Advanced RISC Computing (ARC) naming convention.

Got to love MSDN.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...90c84f.xml.asp

Not enough info for ya then see:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...c_str_masc.asp

Specificly Table 28.14.

Take Care,
Will
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml

Last edited by war59312 : 30th Oct 04 at 10:24 PM.
Old 6th Aug 05, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Always wondered the difference between disk(0) and rdisk(0)

multi(W)disk(X)rdisk(Y)partition(Z)

W: Specifies the drive controller number (also known as the ordinal number), typically 0. The first valid number is 0.
X: This value is always 0 when the multi() syntax is used.
Y: Specifies a physical hard disk attached to drive controller W. For ATA controllers, this number is typically between 0 and 3. For SCSI controllers, this number is typically between 0 and 7, or 0 and 15, depending on the adapter type. The first valid number is 0.
Z: Specifies the partition number on the physical disk specified by parameter Y, attached to the controller specified by parameter W. All partitions in use are assigned a number. The first valid number is 1.

scsi(W)disk(X)rdisk(Y)partition(Z)

W: Specifies the drive controller number (also known as the ordinal number), typically 0. The first valid number is 0.
X: Specifies a physical hard disk attached to drive controller W. For SCSI controllers, this number is typically between 0 and 7, or 0 and 15, depending on the adapter type. The first valid number is 0.
Y: Specifies the SCSI logical unit number (LUN) of the disk that contains the boot partition. This value is typically 0 when the scsi() syntax is used.
Z: Specifies the partition number on the physical disk specified by parameter Y, attached to the controller specified by parameter W. All partitions in use are assigned a number. The first valid number is 1.