BetaONE will rise again!

Old 22nd Feb 05, 05:00 PM

NewsBot will become famous soon enough
Microsoft To Force SP2 Update On All XP And XP SP1
Come April 12th, 2005, SP2 will be delivered to all Windows XP systems.

The temporary grace period for opting out of the Service Pack 2 installation is running out. On April 12th, 2005, SP2 will be delivered to all Windows XP and Windows XP SP1 systems -- unless, of course, you've got Automatic Updates disabled. Anyone who does use AU and hasn't blocked the SP2 installation using the Microsoft-supplied utilities probably already has SP2.

"Time is running out! Please note that the mechanism to temporarily disable delivery of Windows XP SP2 is only available for a period of 240 days (8 months) from August 16, 2004. At the end of this period (after April 12, 2005), Windows XP SP2 will be delivered to all Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 1 systems."

While I can see people already complaining, citing reasons of "Microsoft control" and whatnot, I'm just going to shake my head. If you're running Windows XP, there's no reason not to install SP2. I've met some people who refuse to install big updates just because they feel like being juvenile and difficult. There are valid reasons not to install SP2, such as the breakage of custom software for which there's no update available yet, but in the long run anyone using such software will most definitely have to force the author to fix it, or abandon using it.

News source: ieXbeta
Full story: View Here