BetaONE will rise again!

Old 29th Jan 05, 07:18 PM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
My USB keyring needs a ftp client
Hi
I need a ftp client that I can run from an USB key ring or a USB portable harddrive, without installing it at the machine where I connect my USB device.
The FTP client... if there is such a thing, should be easy to configure on the fly, regarding PORT and PASV mode and such, must have an editable favourite list that gets saved at the USB device only, should be able of handling a queue. Hmm, basically it should be sort of UltraFXP or FlashFXP but without installation (and if possible without leaving traces in the registry of the machiny. As you understand I want to be able to plug it into machines running Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Suggestions?

and ok, hugs to everyone I haven't spoken to for a while! Seems as I turned away from computers in favour for cameras for a while...
Old 29th Jan 05, 08:52 PM
BetaONE Supporter

freezer121 is on a distinguished road
I am absolutely no expert but I believe Filezilla can run off a pen drive and need not use the registry for at least a number of functions. Some details at http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/forum/index.php
Hope it's not a wild goose chase!
Old 29th Jan 05, 09:13 PM

Thank you freezer121,
I'll have alook at it, and report back here. If it works you have made me a happy ftp-ing fella!
Old 31st Jan 05, 08:28 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
From the FlashFXP support forum.

(bigstar is the developer of Flash, LoctOut is the person asking the question.

LoctOut:

Quote:
How about a Portable Version?
One which will work on one of those USB drives on a keychain kinda thing. Present version won't function in this manner.

It would be very nice to have and could be cosidered a security feature (site IP's and login info only available on the USB drive)

Thanks for you consideration

bigstar:
Quote:
This can be done. Just install FlashFXP to your USB drive, Josh (Linkster) at Inicom Networks uses FlashFXP this way.

LoctOut:
Quote:
But I think that is only if you use it on the same machine which you used to install it on the USB drive. (due to file and registry dependencies)

I want to be able to take it with me and plug it into any machine and be in business.

bigstar:
Quote:
Oh.. I forgot to mention..

When you install FlashFXP, During installation select "custom data folder" and select the same folder that FlashFXP is installed into.

The registry information is not required to run FlashFXP, It's used to keep track of information for updating FlashFXP to a newer version and to define a custom icon for the parent folder icon.

If you use FlashFXP on a computer where FlashFXP was not installed the parent folder icon will look like a standard folder.

Dave
Old 31st Jan 05, 01:56 PM

HotRod is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to HotRod
I really thought both Flash and Ultra you can do this way. Like they said save data custom in the install folder. I haven't reloaded either of them. When time comes for reload I just rar the folders up, reload OS and extarct the folders. Haven't reloaded any of them in a long time. They run from folder where I put them.
Old 7th Feb 05, 11:05 PM
Administrator

BearCat will become famous soon enoughBearCat will become famous soon enough
If you can live with a "golden-oldie", have a look here :
http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~jdebis/...downloads.html
When you have set it up, and disabled the update-check,
I seem to remember that it will do its job like you want to.
Old 8th Feb 05, 12:14 AM

In reversed order,
Thank you BearCat, for the tip and for not forgetting about the thread the way I have done. Shame on me - thank you's goes to you. Leechftp - I don't know. I have used it a lot but there are some qwuirks with PASV mode and firewall settings that make it less useable compared to what it used to be. Now there are so many having private ftp servers behind routers that LeechFTP can't connect to properly.

HotRod and Dave; thank you. Some complications though:
FlashFXP actually didn't want to be hadled this way. You have to install it. Maybe I did something wrong. I just copied it from my stationary computer to the keyring. When loading it from the keyring (at work) it complained and told me my trial perioed was expired. As I do have a lifetime license and ther license file is included in the copied directory I now wonder what I should clean in the registry at this machne at work. Oh well.
UltraFXP: I use the free 1.07 version no longer distributed. I get no logging. Maybe that is due to sitting at a NT4 machine with the keyring at another machine but registered here as drive E. I guess so. Seems to work in other aspects.

Freezer121: Thanks again. Filezilla was a good, and free. A few features missing but nothing you can't live without. Not bad.

regards to all,