BetaONE will rise again!

Old 22nd Jun 05, 10:05 PM

PCTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PCTech
IT Certification Questions
I was once a network administrator for the US Army, but I didn't get ANY IT Certs like A+, N+, MCSE, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, etc....

I was on the microsoft website and the requirement for MCP is passing one EXAM, now I know 1 core exam for MCSE is 70-270 (windows xp related exam), does that make me a MCP on Windows XP or just an MCP period?

If I'm going get IT Certifications, I know that CompTIA Security+ counts as an elective on MCSE and A+ with N+ counts as 1 elective on MCSA along with completion of MCDST Cert = 1 elective credit on MCSA Cert....

So My question is, what Exams should I Take 1st? Below is what I'm considering...

Microsoft Certified Professional

1 of 7 exams

MCP on Windows XP (70-270) = $115 (counts for 1 core exam on MCSE and MCSA)

Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Tech

2 Exams Required (70-271 & 70-272) = $230

NOTE: MCDST Exams DO NOT COUNT FOR MCSE EXAMS Counts for 1 Elective on MCSA

CompTIA

Security+ = $145

This satisfies MCSE both the MCSE elective requirement and an MCSE: Security specialization requirement.

A+ = $145

N+ = $145

Together A+/N+ count as 1 elective for MCSA on Windows 2000

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer on Windows 2000

7 Exams Required (5 Core, 2 Elective)

MCP Counts for 1 Core Exam

CompTIA Security+ counts as 1 Elective Exam

Exams Needed (4 Core, 1 Elective)

Total Cost = $575

Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator on Windows 2000

4 Exams Required (3 Core, 1 Elective)

MCSE Cert Counts for 2 Core Exams (70-215, 70-270)

MCDST Counts for 1 Elective

Also A+/N+ Counts for 1 Elective

Exams Left = 70-218 (1 core) -- $115

Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator for Windows 2003

1 Upgrade Exam Required = 70-292 ($115)

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer for Windows 2003

2 Upgrade Exams Required = 70-292 and 70-296

70-292 taken on MCSA for Windows 2003

1 Exam Left 70-296 = $115

So.....When it says:
Quote:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...quirements.asp

Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) candidates are required to pass one current Microsoft certification exam that provides a valid and reliable measure of technical proficiency and expertise (a current exam is any that has not been retired).
Do I just have to pass say exam 70-270, which counts as 1 Core Credit on MCSE and MCSA? I was told A+ and N+ are very BASIC Certifications and that it doesn't really mean alot now a days because if you go into CompUSA ALL of there Computer Techs (20+ in our local store) are A+ Certified!

help me I just want to know what Certifications I should get and in what order (a logical order) to minimize the # of exams I have to take....

~PCT
Old 23rd Jun 05, 12:17 PM

Well I know Security+ can be used as an elective on the MCSE and MCSA (at least on 1 of them) AND it also satifies a speciality in security for MCSA's (or is it MCSE) any hoot, its pretty useful for a Microsoft Exam, so you wont have to take an elective course. I'm pretty sure the outline I posted on which to get first is correct in that it is to me the most effective and logical way of getting ALL certs listed in the most timely manner. I know I probably missed something! I honestly never heard of security+ till I was looking at comptia.org

OH BTW, check this out

www.getcertified4less.com
www.2test.com

the first one gives out test vouchers for vue OR prometric centers, so enjoy that, the 2nd finds a test center, dont know how useful that one is but hey...

What certs should I get to advance my IT field?

~PCT
Old 23rd Jun 05, 12:22 PM

Oh, I was on the phone with an IT Manager here at the Hospital and he said "walk into CompUSA or Bestbuy, and on the wall they have 'all our tech's are A+ Certified'" So that makes me think if they are A+ certified then Why would I want to be one of the 500,000 people that are certified for A+ when I could get my MCSE or MCSA? I know if you take Manufacture Specific Certs that you stand a better chance of getting a job that uses there stuff. So it wouldn't make to much sinse to get Linux+ or *Nix+ or Novel if all we were going to use is Microsoft stuff. Any questions? lol

I dont believe that it really matters which test center you go to Vue or Prometric, just so as long as you get your cert? They have SEVERAL of EACH TYPE here in the state well over 8 each of vue and prometric sites.

Last edited by PCTech : 23rd Jun 05 at 12:26 PM.
Old 23rd Jun 05, 09:13 PM
eh!!

Cyberion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cyberion Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberion
Thank you PCT for that. As you are giant leap ahead of me on this. I applaud you on your relentless research!
Old 24th Jun 05, 04:49 PM

it took me all day to make sure that I had the Exams in the right order, so that you would have to take the least amount of tests on each MCSE and MCSA. The above layout is pretty good, the hard part is just getting the money to take the exam.

One last question....is it worth it to take a course from a university, or if you buy the book say from Amazon.com and study your self? I am not tight or anything, its just college is expensive for those little courses and books, if I can buy just the books and study them myself, and pass, I will!

~PCT
Old 24th Jun 05, 08:36 PM
eh!!

Well, as for text books.. I have a Half Price computer shop just 15min away, so I know that that studing your self is cheaper. I'm sure you can also acquire computer texts in a more clandesdine approach, however I suggest buying the books, especially the theory.. I really dislike reading important stuff just on the screen.

ie. I like to read and relax/eating/etc.
Old 24th Jun 05, 10:45 PM
eh!!

I recently opened an account at Pearson VUE and unsure which one I need?

220-301 Exam Details A+ 2003 Linear Core Hardware Exam $US 145.00
220-302 Exam Details A+ 2003 Linear OS Technologies Exam $US 145.00
JK0-301 Exam Details E2C/Jobs+ A+ 2003 Linear Core Hardware Exam $US 65.00
JK0-302 Exam Details E2C/Jobs+ A+ 2003 Linear OS Technologies Exam $US 65.00

What is E2C/Jobs+?

Quote:
What do the certifications cost?
Once a school or organization meets the criteria to participate in the Education to Careers (E2C) program and becomes a CompTIA member, they are able to purchase test vouchers at a significant discount. Test vouchers must be purchased prior to scheduling of the tests and are available through Prometric and VUE. The program is a voucher-only program with a minimum voucher order for each certification. The costs of vouchers is in U.S. dollars. JOBS+ vouchers are not to be resold. JOBS+ vouchers are not to be used for the certifications of individuals currently working in the ICT industry and obtaining training with the purpose of preparing to take the test.

Last edited by Cyberion : 24th Jun 05 at 10:51 PM.
Old 25th Jun 05, 01:33 AM

alright betaone family!

those of you that want your IT Certs, check out http://www.examcram2.com/ join them (for free) they give you a code to get an a+ voucher (vue) for only $87.00 (something like that) and I'm not sure you can get 2 vouchers, but they also give you a cram sheet, to cram for both exams...i will post it below, sinse its free I see no harm in posting this here.....if i find any more info I will post it....
Attached Files
File Type: rar A+_Cramsheet.rar (45.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 25th Jun 05, 10:35 PM
eh!!

I'll post can also post the stuff that I downloaded from getcertify4less.com

I got 2 vouchers, plus an study guide for 182 US.

Not bad when each test is 145.
Old 1st Jul 05, 12:23 PM
Administrator

JacKDynne will become famous soon enoughJacKDynne will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to JacKDynne
Sheesh, I took them so long ago (NT4) that I have trouble remembering and I am sure that some things have changed but I would shy away from the A+ cert. I never took it and when you get MSCE anyway it is implicitly implied that you have an understanding of the hardware

Not sure if this will help yahs but I'll tell you my certs then recant how I obtained them:

Certifications:
MCP + Internet
MCSE
CCA - Citrix Certified Admin
CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate

I started off with a program at a local college that was for the MCSE, six classes I think and Networking Essentials was the first. Once I had a grasp of the basics of topologies, protocols, media, etc. I ditched the rest of the classes and did the rest on my own, taking it one exam at a time. Let me also recommend that at the VERY least you partition a drive and install server, exchange, etc. so you have something to get some hands on experience with, though it's much better if you set up a simple network to use

The best way for me to study was in this order:

1. Read the associated book and work through it.
2. Install the OS and break it and then fix it.
3. Go through the exam crams and find your weak areas then target them.
4. Get the exam sim progs and use them as in #3.

I did the above and passed all the exams first try (toot! toot! )

After getting the MCSE I went for the Citrix although I am not sure how relevant it is today with Terminal Server now bundled in the MS Server OS's but it was not a hard exam to pass after all the MS ones. Then I went for the Cisco one, the CCNA. A lot of studying for that one but it wasn't too bad either and by then I had a job with an integrator so had other techs to bounce stuff off of.

The MCSE wasn't a golden ticket to the top but it did allow me to get my foot in the door and get started on my I.T. career, there really is no substitue for real world experience but if you are patient and bide your time the right opportunity will come along.

Hope this helps some for you guys

/JD