BetaONE will rise again!

Old 12th Jun 02, 10:19 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Cactus is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

Does anybody know a way to map a FTP site as if it was a drive/disk? I guess there might be a program for it.

What I want is a drive letter witch redirects all read/write actions to a ftp address.

Anyone . . .?

Thanks & Cheers
Cactus
Old 12th Jun 02, 10:19 PM
ThankBot

Thanks x 1 User:
[b:6c245d498b]Le Cactus[/b:6c245d498b]
Old 16th Jun 02, 11:11 PM

Crowdirt
Hi Le Cactus, well I will have a go at some possibilities here.

When transferring files to/from an FTP Address that in effect is using an IP# of a Serving machine somewhere to talk to. So on that serving machine it would have to be able to "Accept" a Drive MAP request for the type of "Mapping" (Folder/Entire Drive) that you want to do.

Any Windows Workstation/Server machine will allow you to do this if you have an Account (Userid/Password) on the machine with the necessary privileges.

If Security is a concern, then you can add the VPN features to the picture so the "Mapping" is secure from end to end.
Old 17th Jun 02, 12:24 AM
zonko

I am not sure that you could do this because to authenticate a user on a remote machine you need to be using tcp/ip. tcp/ip and ftp are different protocols. I have been thinking about this for a couple of days now and i still am drawing a blank. not saying no but not saying yes either yet. i will need to try somethings at work tomorrow.

Zo
Old 17th Jun 02, 12:07 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Thanks guys,

No how do I do it. Right clicking the network neighboorhood, selecting connect network drive and entering an FTP address (including logon info) doesn't work. Now what?

Cheers
Cactus
Old 17th Jun 02, 03:52 PM

Crowdirt
Hi Folks, clicking on Network Neighbourhood on Windows will make use of ports 137, 139, 544 etc. to do Drive Maps. It is quite separate from the "File Transfer Protocol" (FTP) stuff. The machine at the other end would have to be configured to allow this kind of thing to happen.

Once it is working you can certainly "Transfer Files" but it is not actually doing "FTP".
Old 20th Jun 02, 07:54 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
@zonko

FTP and TCP/IP are different protocols? Here is something I don't really understand. Maybe it is some kind of confusion of ideas. I always thought that protocols were like TCP, UDP, ICMP, NetBEUI and IPX/SPX for example?
Then again FTP and HTTP are called protocols, but I guess this is in another way than TCP and the others above. Like you install TCP/IP making your computer understand it and then can use the web, different fp-clients, read your mail (using POP3 or another mail-protocol).
You made me confused here, and I still am...

@Le Cactus

I don't know of a way to map a ftp-server to a drive letter (unless you find a way using the command net). If all you want to do is to handle file transports in an explorer-like environment I remember this could be done using Norton filemanager. Nowadays Powerdesk might be a much better alternative.
Old 20th Jun 02, 10:37 AM
zonko

/http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/53836.html

ftpNetDrive gives you the ability to map an FTP site to a network drive letter. Once mapped, you can use any Windows based application to access files using the standard Windows 'Open/Save/Save As' dialog boxes. You can use Explorer's drag and drop feature to move files between sites or between folders on the same site. You can even edit your webpages without having to download or upload them

/http://www.southrivertech.com/products/webdrive/index.html

WebDrive integrates a WebDAV or FTP server into the Windows desktop by mapping it to a network drive letter. WebDrive instantly web-enables any Windows application by providing the ability for these applications to directly open files on web servers. WebDrive can connect to WebDAV, FTP, and HTTP Servers supporting Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions.

I think this is what you are looking for

Zo
Old 20th Jun 02, 10:52 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
That was a good find! Seems as a lot of goodies gathers at Deerfield nowadays.
Old 20th Jun 02, 10:25 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Yes,

Thanks guys for the hunt. I'll be trying them and report back. I need to accss the drives with batchfiles, so if this will alos work I'll let you know.

Cheers
Cactus