BetaONE will rise again!

Old 6th Nov 01, 01:07 AM

Crowdirt
It seems to me quite a few folks are trying to run an FTP Server and not having very much success. There is lots of "Demand" for file transfers but few sites that "Work" properly. The net result is lots of Wasted Bandwidth and Broken Downloads. I have run various Mainframes and Servers for over 30 years, and have learned a few things (still don't know everything though). So to learn some more I have built and configured a Broadband Server to test out some ideas.

The Server details are: Maximum Upload to server 1400 Kbits/sec.
Maximum Download from server 500 Kbits/sec.
Maximum Number of connections 4
On a Dynamic IP, so it changes from time to time
Runs 24/7/52 except for Maintenance times (few)
Server is behind a Hardware Firewall (D-Link/Linksys type)

The Firewall means that things like FlashGet/CuteFTP etc. will NOT work. They are not "smart" enough to work through the Firewall that's there. Talk to the server using IEx.x, it works great. I tested several versions, though I mostly use IE6 in WinXP now. SmartFTP, LeechFTP work and FlashFXP works too, read the posts for the correct configuration.

Server Access is controlled by an IP # Table. The table will only EVER have a few selected entries, there simply is not enough capacity to "Serve the World". Basically the Server "Bans" everybody, and allows a few IP#'s to enter.

I am looking for a few (4-6 or so) folks to test out Uploading and Downloading from the Site. There is over 15 GB of stuff there now as a start. Add more if you want to. Mostly I am looking for CD sized stuff that will give it the "Acid Test". The "Net" seems to have no problems now with lots of little thingys. The Emphasis is on NOT wasting Bandwidth/Time and Satisfactory Results.

To Connect to the Server start with the URL

http://CrowDirt.DNS2GO.COM:8080

where you can find the current IP# of the Site.

Use the IP# there and Port 2020 in your FTP Client program (FlashFXP), anonymous access (no user/password needed), to connect.

Interested? PM your IP # here and I will add (A FEW) to the Access Table. No "Secret" passwords required.
Old 6th Nov 01, 01:14 AM

poolman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to poolman
I'm interested in trying this out. I have quite a few cd sized app's/games.

[ November 06, 2001: Last edited by poolman ]

[ November 08, 2001: Last edited by poolman ]</p>
Old 6th Nov 01, 06:59 AM

VotTak
Would BPFTPCleint work?I mean is it smarter than others or all of then has the same level of stupidity?
Old 6th Nov 01, 01:45 PM

Crowdirt
Hi Folks, some more details to help clarify the situation. I am assuming that most everyone is running WinXP Pro by now, that is all you need for this process. I am not familiar with BPFTPClient (there are lots of them). If its Shareware/Freeware I suspect it is not up to the task at hand.

Poolman PM'ed me asking if nonroutable IP's such as 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x will work. These are "Special" IP ranges that only go as far as the first Router (ment for local LANs). The IP numbers that I am looking for must be Routable numbers. If you have your computer behind a Hardware Firewall it likely will not connect to the Server. I answered here so others will know as well.

Using IP #'s for access control is not far removed from things like SSL etc. Another scheme I have considered are (VPN) Virtual Private Network connections. As we are all running the "Corporate" version of WinXP now, I am sticking to the methods that Companies use on the Net. Most of the Home/Consumer S/W and H/W such as Win9X, FTP Clients, Firewall Boxes and other gizmos generally will not work properly in this case.

Still Interested?
Old 6th Nov 01, 04:56 PM

Crowdirt
Hey Poolman I added your IP # to the table. You should be able to connect now. At the moment you are the only one so it should be quite fast. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 7th Nov 01, 02:20 AM

WarezRocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to WarezRocks
I PMd ya my IP... do not like posting it in the open. I usually use a Socks 4 or 5 but will shut it off to try. Have 2 routers layin arond here [LinxSys and a DLinx] and I gave up usin em cuz they drop packetts so bad. Savin up for a good one [Cisco]. I'll up the FS 2002 if the speed is ok. Don't know what to say bout my server and gettin it off there. It is just gettin hammered bad and asses that get a 421 just keep pounding it. It is always full and I should cap the d/l speeed... I see right now someone is grabbin the 6in1 at 346kbs average so that sux the bandwidth prety bad too, and am letting 10 on at once. I fear I will have to close it to the gen d/l soon. Under norm conditions it has decent speed of 10mbps up and down.
Old 7th Nov 01, 03:37 AM
itypeslow

I PM'd IP address.

Thanks.
Old 7th Nov 01, 10:42 AM

Crowdirt
....Folks have been PM'ing me, have a half dozen or so, with more coming I suspect. Just in case "BetaNet" has problems, I hang out on ieXbeta as well. You can find me there if need be. I probably have enough responses already to get started with. Will keep all of them though with the idea of building a "Network" of FTP Sysops.

PM'ing is ok, better in some ways for Security reasons. I thought posting here would be good to so other folks can watch how this goes and Learn from our Struggles. All the replies so far are folks on "Broadband SP's" which means collectively we can move a lot of stuff.

Currently I am running 2 ADSL lines, the Server is on one by itself to transfer files. The other line I use for everything else, talking etc. At the moment I am on a connection from work. Once I am back home I will add some more folks to the server later today. So far I have added "Poolman" so things will start happening soon. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 7th Nov 01, 03:48 PM

NutCracker
I've PM'ed you. Look forward to a reply!

NutCracker
Old 7th Nov 01, 05:45 PM

Crowdirt
Hi Folks....I have been working through a number of PM's. I probably have enough for testing with. More folks likely means more FTP Servers to support them. We can work on that too. The folks I have "activated" are Poolman 24.x.x.x, WarezRocks 204.x.x.x, NutCracker 212.x.x.x, itypeslow 24.x.x.x, and HotRod 24.x.x.x. Basically its First Come First Served. I still have Megaduce 63.x.x.x to add, he showed up a little later on. He says he is running Win2K Adv Server, which is what I am running as well.

Suicide_Devil says he is using a Linksys Router. In that case the IP # would be the one on the "Net Side" NOT 192.168.x.x. I have a Linksys Router as well and I have not been able to get to the FTP Server through it, even if I use "DMZ". If you are using WinXP Pro (isn't everyone?) connecting directly to the "Net" is not a big problem. Firewall boxes are not doing very much for you in that case other than costing money. If Suicide_Devil is willing to connect directly and sends me his IP # then I can add him too.

If your IP changes for some reason send me a message and I will update it. The Server Box is a "Professional Server" which has been running for a year already and should be able to "hack it". My concern is mostly the Broadband Connection, or other Network stuff being able to handle the load. So "have fun", I will watch and fix if necessary.