BetaONE will rise again!

Old 8th Feb 05, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Figure 2 : Error loading Windows Movie Maker 2.

When trying to launch Windows Movie Maker application which can be found in Start Menu, you are welcomed by the error : Unable to locate component WMVcore.dll.
Old 8th Feb 05, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Figure 3 : Empty Windows Media Player folder in Program Files

Although Windows Media Player is not included, the Windows XP setup has created a windows media player folder with no files in it.
Old 8th Feb 05, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Figure 4 : Windows Media Encoder 9 install error

Error while trying to install Windows Media Encoder 9. The Windows Installer service cannot update one or more protected Windows files.
Old 8th Feb 05, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Figure 5 : Windows XP Tour

Windows XP takes you a tour of Windows Media Player. Windows Media Player?

Last edited by ~*McoreD*~ : 8th Feb 05 at 07:13 AM.
Old 8th Feb 05, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

EU - you asked for it: Windows XP Reduced Media Edition, and here it is. So have fun with your Real Player.

Cheers,
McoreD

Edit: Hey of course all of above functions will work if you install Windows Media Player.

Last edited by ~*McoreD*~ : 8th Feb 05 at 06:40 AM.
Old 8th Feb 05, 07:03 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Well, maybe you Aussies can keep with the bloated version for many years from now, finally EU will get a more slimmed one.... Maybe, who knows?

This question is not a simple one where you can say "Good" or "Bad" or "Up" or "Down (-under)".

Basically I agree with you; When it comes the practical result from the EU decision this is pretty stupid. The question discussed is however very interestening.

Think of this: Many hard core computer phreaks love XPLite. The bundled software is often scheizze: I do not use Media Player, nor do I use the XP firewall or the MS Paint- FTP- or text- utilities. I never used the MS AntiVirus under MS-DOS, I prefer other defragging tools than the ones included with MS OS (from DOS til' now) and the same goes for HDD diagnostic tools. Hey, I even prefer other web browsers...

So, to me it would be much better if the OS came without theese relatively simple toys, but to a lower price. Have a look at how the typical Linux distribution is made. In modules typically. It would be very nice if Windows was distributed in a similar way. Then I would save time, and get piece, knowing that I haven't installed a sh*tload of stuff I don't want to have, and consequently try to get rid of, first or second thing. Surely many would like to have it the modular way?

regards,
Old 23rd Feb 05, 09:59 PM

Zarax is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Zarax
Of course EU couldn't get this one right...
They forbid to change the price.
Old 23rd Feb 05, 11:22 PM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Hello Zarax, and welcome here!

A sidenote: I find your homesite addy interestening. Should I guess you are a hardcore M$ fan? Ads for M$ stuff at your homesite make me belive you are somewhat biased... Lol, doesn't matter though - we allready concluded that the EU way to handle this isn't the best one. The price question... Well, I bet M$ would ask for more dolares for the reduced version if they (you) had been allowed. XP is allready highly overpriced. What do you think - can we get Longhorn in a modular version not forcing us (or me at least) to install a lot of crap? Will I still have to pay a lot of extra to get rid of the crap? It is amazing that there is a market for the nifty little XP Lite util. What do M$ think about it? Lot of questions, not that I expect any answers, calme calme, I'm just getting it out of my chest (if that is the correct way to express it).

regards,
Old 23rd Feb 05, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Let me introduce Zarax to BetaONE Community. He is my good friend in MSUN. Zarax is a hardcore Microsoft fan. (Actually me too . )

He has dedicated Microsoft User Network for helping users who are interested in Windows Media. Zarax is a Microsoft MVP - Digital Media. There are not many Microsoft or Windows Media fans. I am aware of that. When I first met Zarax who was so much into Windows Media I felt I met my lost brother.

Cheers,
McoreD

Last edited by ~*McoreD*~ : 24th Feb 05 at 05:25 AM.
Old 23rd Feb 05, 11:48 PM

Zarax is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Zarax
Quote:
interestening. Should I guess you are a hardcore M$ fan? Ads for M$ stuff at your homesite make me belive you are somewhat biased... Lol, doesn't matter though - we allready concluded that the EU way to handle this isn't the best one. The price question... Well, I bet M$ would ask for more dolares for the reduced version if they (you) had been allowed. XP is allready highly overpriced. What do you think - can we get Longhorn in a modular version not forcing us (or me at least) to install a lot of crap? Will I still have to pay a lot of extra to get rid of the crap? It is amazing that there is a market for the nifty little XP Lite util. What do M$ think about it? Lot of questions, not that I expect any answers, calme calme, I'm just getting it out of my chest (if that is the correct way to express it).
Hello, and thanks for the welcome.
While some could describe me and my website contents as "biased" i invite you to take a look at the forums, you'll find little hype, some helpful stuff and a lot of (at least for the forum size) satisfied users.
I think i can talk about MS (please drop the puns, while some might find them funny they are just flamebait) with some more experience than the average user, being a Microsoft Digital Media Most Valuable Professional and long time watcher of many MS initiatives.
I think McoreD can guarantee for me if needed

About the antitrust deal (if one can call deal paying half a billion to be told how to ship your products) the EU antitrust set almost every detail, including price, files that had to be removed, product box layout and finally the product name.
The name "Windows XP Reduced Media Edition" has been discarded by EU because they said it could lead the customers to believe the product is inferior to the standard one (which IMHO is the truth).
About the price, it was logical and in the best MS interest to give a (slightly) reduced price to compensate for the features, but EU decided that it had to be the same as before.
Pratically what EU wished is to give you less for the same .

While i have Limited knowledge of Longhorn i heard many sources stating it will be more modular than XP so it will satisfy more the expert user needs (do not forget that MS software is designed for complete computer noobs that have very different needs than you and me).
BTW, XPlite just automates a few actions that can be found on MS KB, you can do exactly the same without spending a cent.

Finally, i invite you to look at all the aspects of many MS issues, you'll find a lot of overlooked things that suddenly happens to make a lot more sense than you can imagine for a lot of stuff