BetaONE will rise again!

Old 3rd Sep 01, 08:19 AM
Dave215uk

I knwo nothing @ all about Ftp can u set them up from u're home computer? And if u can how do u co it. Thanks
Old 3rd Sep 01, 12:00 PM
Banned

just_do_IT is an unknown quantity at this point
Not really understanding what you are asking for here...you want to know how to set up a server, or are you interested in downloading via a ftp client?
Old 3rd Sep 01, 12:03 PM
SuperSonic2K3

Hmm I think he's referring to serving from his comp. You're gonna need to learn some first. First off optimal serving would require at least a 128Kbps connection. How fast is yours?
Old 3rd Sep 01, 12:04 PM
Dave215uk

512k i want to set up my computer as a server so people can acsess files from it.
Old 3rd Sep 01, 12:08 PM
SuperSonic2K3

Hmm...the best serving programs out there are Serv-U and BulletProof.

I might suggest starting off using Bulletproof, since it's kinda easier to use.

Download it at http://www.bpftp.com
Old 3rd Sep 01, 01:09 PM
Dave215uk

im having no luck wiv bullet proff cant set it up, can anyone offer any help all i want is to set up a ftp folder for people to upload stuff on to on my computer. thanks for all u're help so far. sorry for being (a bit thick) i no nothing bout ftp folders
Old 3rd Sep 01, 05:30 PM
SuperSonic2K3

You'll need to first create a new folder on your hard drive where all users can access the files. Then create 2 subfolders (this is the way I do it) named "Download" and "Upload" whereas the "upload" directory is where users can upload files. Start by creating a user account (You'll need one if you only want authorized people to access your files)

1) Go to the "setup" menu and select "User accounts." Right click in the "user accounts" space and click add. You can edit the password of the new user if necessary. Now right click in the "access rights" space and click add. This will allow you to set the virtual directory; which is the directory where the users will be put in when the login. (Set the directory to where you will be storing the files). After you have done that there are a list of options to the right. Select the directory and then click on Read, Write and Append (You don't want to fiddle with the Delete option). And then finally under the "directories" menu click on Make, List and +Subdirs. Do that now, and it's the first thing you should probably do.
Old 3rd Sep 01, 05:57 PM
Administrator

pittpull will become famous soon enoughpittpull will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to pittpull Send a message via Yahoo to pittpull
You know its a online readme on bpf if you havent seen that take a lock maybe it can help you .. http://www.bpftpserver.com/manual/manual_eng/index.html

And the help file for serv-u here http://www.serv-u.com/Help/ServUHelp.htm

Hope this can help you a little

PittPull
Old 3rd Sep 01, 07:36 PM

Another we thing we need to know is if you are connected via Broadband/DSL/T1, or via dial up? If its Broadband, do you go through a router, or is it a direct cable connection to your PC. if its a router, you'll need to configure its settings. also using a port such as #27015 usually does the trick. Thats what i'm using.

Hope this help a little, but until we know what type of connection you have, not much can said about how to help you.

TCM
Old 4th Sep 01, 12:39 PM
Dave215uk

Im using a direct 512k direct broadband cable connection whats setting do i need for that also when i do the stuff u say is that all i need to do to set it up also how do other people acsess the ftp