BetaONE will rise again!

Old 10th Jan 03, 03:59 PM
Administrator

JacKDynne will become famous soon enoughJacKDynne will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to JacKDynne
Hi guys, I have replicated part of a thread in software support to here to seek support from our current linux gurus....

Can any of you help Indy out?

See below and TIA

/JD

Nd4Spd Posted on Jan 10 2003, 07:06 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I messed around with it some more last night. Samba will see my 2k and ME boxes. It will attempt to mount the ME box, but fail, it won't even see any mountable drives on the 2k box.

2k will see the linux box, but it asks for a pass. The 1 user and root do not work to log in. It fails every time. That's where I'm at now.

Indy
Sephiroth Posted on Jan 9 2003, 09:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by not see the box, do you mean it's not even pingable?
Nd4Spd Posted on Jan 9 2003, 05:51 PM
I'm sorry. I should have gone through everything I've done.

I have samba enabled, and it will see my other box in that it sees the 2k box name. but it will not see any of the shared drives and, therefore, mount any of the drives. 2k does not see the linux box at all.
my roommates computer it can see and see the shared drive but not mount the drive (I think the reason for that is that his box has a login password. Linux doesn't ask for a password to attempt to mount the drive but the 2k box does and will do so successfuly).

Thanks.

Indy
Cyberion Posted on Jan 9 2003, 05:34 PM
To use any Linux varient in a Windows area you will need to enable samba. This enables your Linux box to see, hear, and touch Windows boxes. You can even share a drive on your Linux box and have it read by ALL Windows boxes.

I hope that helps.
Nd4Spd Posted on Jan 9 2003, 05:05 PM
I'm sorta in the same boat. I have a Linksys router running with my roommates ME box (i know, trying to get him to upgrade), a 2k box and trying to add a Linux box. I can get the Linux on the net (so it's talking to the router ok) but can't get it to see the Windows boxes or the Win boxes to see the Linux box.
Am running Mandrake 8.2 if that helps. Any info. or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated.
I'm pretty new to networking so please bear with me.

Thanks.

Indy

Old 10th Jan 03, 11:55 PM

Nd4Spd
Send a message via ICQ to Nd4Spd Send a message via AIM to Nd4Spd Send a message via MSN to Nd4Spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nd4Spd
craftyc said:
--------------------------------
ND4SPD, make sure your firewalls aren't getting in the way. I had a similar problem also when trying to configure my Samba Network.

To configure your Windows PCs for networking maybe this site will help you. /http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp

Also, this may help to configure Samba. /http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml#doc_chap7
It is Gentoo specific, however it shouldn't be too hard to translate the ideas across.

--------------------------------

Thanks Crafty... (ps, love your siggy).
I will take a look at those links and let you know how it goes.

Indy
Old 11th Jan 03, 12:37 AM

Nd4Spd
Send a message via ICQ to Nd4Spd Send a message via AIM to Nd4Spd Send a message via MSN to Nd4Spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nd4Spd
Well, interesting how if you try NOT putting a password when trying to access the linux box from 2k, that you can access it... hmmm... lol.

Think I may have this figured out. If so, drinks on me

Thanks to all who have helped. You've all been very friendly and helpful to me.

Indy
Old 13th Jan 03, 04:37 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Sephiroth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth
Quote:
Originally posted by Nd4Spd@Jan 10 2003, 06:37 PM
Thanks to all who have helped. You've all been very friendly and helpful to me.

Indy
damn - missed this thread lol

you're welcome indy , stick around
Old 14th Jan 03, 12:24 AM

Nd4Spd
Very bizzare.... ok. Here is how it stands.

2k sees Linux -- No prob. Can read from Linux -- No prob.

Linux can see 2k box -- no prob.
Linux can see shared drives/folders and mount -- prob. No see folders/HDD that are shared. All systems on FAT32.

At a bit of a loss. Am thinking Xandros might help (am using Mandrake 8.2 right now).
Any good links for Xandros?

Indy