BetaONE will rise again!

Old 17th Aug 05, 02:09 PM

SIRCOOKS is an unknown quantity at this point
problem with computer?
i have an asus p4p800se mobo, with a p4 3.2 prescott processor, with the arctice cooling freezer fan, shown here...... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185114, problem is when i installed everything, i can get power on but, its like it not doing anything, the lights come on, it sounds like its booting, but the monitor is not coming in, it just keeps the orange light, instaed of turning green. My question is something not compatible with something here, is there something is should do to prime the system for this new heatsink....any ideas...holla back
Old 17th Aug 05, 08:37 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you suspect overheating of the cpu, going over 60C is shutting down the system?

I have an ASUS P4C800-E with a 2.8 CPU. Standard Intel heat sink that came with the cpu more than a year ago. It runs at about 45C normally. Goes up to 54-55C under heavy sustained usage. My BIOS is set to shut the system down at 60C. It has never shut down for temp problems.

I have a buddy who has a 3.2 using a standard Intel heat sink and it runs in the low 50's. He's tried all sorts of things to get a lower temp without success, but it is still within the rating of the cpu. I understand 3.2 operates at a higher temp than the 2.8 and may not be well thought of by users for that reason (but I don't know that from experience).

If the system has never booted correctly it may be something else.

Last edited by rikytik : 17th Aug 05 at 08:48 PM.
Old 18th Aug 05, 02:04 AM
Chopped Liver

tubebuoy is on a distinguished road
1. Make sure the cable from the power supply to the mobo didn't get knocked loose.

2. Make sure no IDE (or other) cables are preventing the fan from spinnig.

That's all I can think of.

}---:?
Old 18th Aug 05, 02:39 AM

Dudelive is an unknown quantity at this point
Go into bios and somewhere you will see a spot to select default settings. Do you hear the correct number of beeps on power-up? It sounds like it has not accepted the video card if it is an add in card. As far as "priming the system for the new heatsink", all that is needed there is to be sure you did not break the cpu when installing the heatsink and thermal paste.

Thanks
Dudelive

Last edited by Dudelive : 18th Aug 05 at 02:43 AM.
Old 18th Aug 05, 08:32 AM

TheCrossMovement
Send a message via MSN to TheCrossMovement Send a message via Yahoo to TheCrossMovement
If its a monitor issue, try disabling any integrated graphics adapters, or take out any added video cards. Could also be bad memory. Perhaps a cable got knocked loose somewhere as someone else suggested. Only way to find the remedy for your issue is process of elimination.

As far solutions specific to mobo's or heatsinks, I'm not qualified to give a response on that since I've never personally installed or configured either of those 2 items......YET. When and if I ever get to build my own system(and I desperately want to), and I get to work with the said items, than I can post back on how to deal with those issues. But by than you'll have it all worked out

TCM
Old 18th Aug 05, 01:04 PM

scratch all of that, first of all my comp is just not starting, nothing is turning over, the orange light on my monitor is not turning green, i cannot get to my bios....ill see what happens when i try the original heat sink that came with the processor, thats all i can think of, could it be any problems with the heat sink....dont be afraid to use the big computer terms, i am pretty adept to them, as i fix computers on the side
Old 18th Aug 05, 11:58 PM

Dudelive is an unknown quantity at this point
You should be getting a beep of some kind, most do anyway. Look back at ALL power cables connected to the MB and be sure one is not disconnected. Are any light on the front panel coming on? You may have to remove to cmos battery for 30 seconds to clear bios. If you are not getting as far as bios you may have serious problems.

Thanks
Dudelive
Old 19th Aug 05, 01:52 AM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
Check the CPU is undamaged and seated properly and check you havent disturbed your memory, it's easy to do if the cpu fastener is close to the memory. Remove and re-insert the parts if you feel they may have been disturbed. Same with graphics card, the system won't boot unless it has a graphics card installed. If all else fails then reset your BIOS by either removing the battery for a few mins or using the BIOS clear jumper.

Old 19th Aug 05, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Jarod888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Jarod888
make sure you removed the protective plastic from between the cpu and thermal paste and fan. Also check the motherboard jumpers, you can usualy find them in the motherboard manual. I would start out by removing everything and starting at the basic level, then add components to determine if one is bad.
Old 19th Aug 05, 01:28 PM

cool, but check my hyperlink and look at he heatsink i have, that sucker was hard to put in, its going to be even more a task tp pull out....ill report my findings