BetaONE will rise again!

Old 4th Feb 07, 05:22 PM
eh!!

Cyberion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cyberion Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberion
Linux - Ubuntu
I recently downloaded (via torrent) Knoppix, Gentoo, and Unbuntu.. I'm trying to find what is the right "user friendly" linux for me. I found Gentoo is nice, Knoppix seems to have some polish and Unbuntu found one external drive and my NIC card.

Yes, I'm aware that I, when I learn how, can configure my NIC card to work in Ubuntu, same thing with XMMS. That player is simply amazing, doesn't Mac have anything like that.. (that goes into a seperate post. )

My question(s) is for a noob (smile) like myself what Linux distro is good/great to start with?
Old 4th Feb 07, 10:18 PM
BetaONE Supporter

roadworker is an unknown quantity at this point
PCLinuxOS.......very user friendly,and lots of free apps in it's repos,it's easy to install ....or you canrun it as livecd.
Old 5th Feb 07, 02:25 AM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, but the best for a Windows convert is Xandros, by far. Not a live CD, you've got to install as a dual boot to really get the feeling of this wonderful O/S. Why it's so good is it's got all the drivers, mounts all the drives, no need to learn all the little tricks that Linux requires us to learn with other distros.

I have a love hate relationship with Linux. I get it installed and then find out it won't run my most needed and favorite programs: Active Sync, for one. Etc.

Meanwhile, I'm slowly getting drawn into Vista. Sometimes I wish a Bill Gates alter ego would excite program writers to write stuff for Linux.

Last edited by rikytik : 5th Feb 07 at 02:28 AM.
Old 23rd Feb 07, 04:56 PM
eh!!

I'll try PCLinux. I understand completely that this is a learning curve, I feel stumped on how to get mp3 working in Ubuntu. I've run the configure file in Terminal.. that compiles the code to make a binary for the system, still my system is not reading a decoder for LAME mp3. I downloaded the codec from sourceforge too.
Old 24th May 07, 01:35 PM
Retired Crew

Alpine is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alpine Send a message via AIM to Alpine
PCLinux, ill give a try !!

Thx GUys !
Old 31st Oct 07, 11:39 PM

wyrman is on a distinguished road
Just cam out with Ubuntu 7.10. It's a live version. I've been meaning to give this a try. I take it this runs from cd and no installation is needed.
Old 1st Nov 07, 10:24 AM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, you can run Ubunto 7.10 from the CD. Gives you a choice to run or install. It runs great and includes the new free word/spreadsheet/graphics suite, as well as Firefox. Very nice.
Old 5th Jun 08, 08:19 AM
eh!!

Ubuntu 8 has a shiney new UI to play around with, however the shared directories sort-of went away. I might go back to Ubuntu 7.
Old 5th Jun 08, 08:00 PM

RadiationBoy
Send a message via AIM to RadiationBoy Send a message via MSN to RadiationBoy Send a message via Yahoo to RadiationBoy
i've been running ubuntu for while now and I really like. for a while I found that was just switching distros all the time trying to find the perfect one that would be an easy switch for me. I finally decided just to stick with one (ubuntu in this case) and learn it. so far so good. the only real problem I ran into was I didn't have to restart my computer ever and when I finally did after several weeks I had completely forgotten my user name and password for logging in. luckily its super easy to reset.

anyway yeah my word of advice, just find one and stick with it. once you get to know linux more you can change distros and have a more educated decision.

rad