BetaONE will rise again!

Old 25th Mar 04, 12:31 AM
BetaONE Supporter

protecteur is an unknown quantity at this point
Good info for all Epson Printers

I recently had problems trying to fix my mother inlaw with her Epson C42UX printer, the red and green light began flashing and a window popped up, saying, take it to your services center because some parts have reached the end of their life. Instead I did a bit of reading and I was successful. You see printer companies set a ?protection counter? on all printers , it?s an internal counter measuring the amount of ink wasted by head cleaning. I needed to reset the "protection counter" as well as clean the ?waste ink pad overflow?. Following is the procedure that I used:

Unplug the power and USB cables from the printer. I pried open my C42UX printer, careful not to break anything. I use a flat blade screwdriver to pry it apart; there are two-three tabs at the back and two at the front. Gently push them in, and then using a bit of force pry apart the cover.

Next I removed the two (2) waste ink pads. They are located at the back on the left hand side. I used the flat blade screwdriver to lift up the ink pads (they were soaked). Please use rubber gloves as it gets very messy.
Next I took the pads to the kitchen skin and washed them with just plain hot water until they were white again. I just let the hot water run on them (the pads are about three inches long).

Once washed I dried them using a hair drier. (you could place it the sun for a few hours or on top of your heater or maybe in a heated oven; (make sure you do not set it on fire with too much heat).

Once dried I placed the pads back in the ink waste bin at the back of the printer.
I closed the printer cover and put back all the pieces and plugged in the USB & power cable and turned it on. (Yes the lights are still flashing).

Go to this link and download this software: http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
Install the software and run it. (this software has lots of handy tweak utilities for all Epson printers)

Select your printer and model number ( It only says C42 there is no UX, choose it anyway) (P.S. SElect your printer model number if it one other then a c42).It will ask if you replaced with new pads; say ?YES?. Then close the window.

Now right click on the SSC service utility, it looks like a printer icon near your clock in the task bar.

Then click on reset counters. You can do all other stuff with this utility too.
Turn off the printer power and then turn it on again. If necessary un-plug the power cord from the back of the printer, wait 20 seconds. Plug it back in.
THERE YOU GO! IT WORKS AGAIN.

I hope this helps some of you who are frustrated and ready to throw out your Epson printer.

If you need help with other printers go to this link and READ : www.fixyourownprinter.com

Enjoy

Protecteur

http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=22062348
Old 25th Mar 04, 12:31 AM

Thankbot
5 Users already said Thank You!

adams, moen, KingCobra, jebus, Shiromagius,
Old 5th Jul 04, 01:24 PM

piglet
Hi, followed all your instructions for the epson printer, and it needing a service, only when i try to reset the counters my computer tells me that my printer is off or there is some other problem. (my printer is on with both lights STILL flashing) even after unplugging. Any clues what to do next, or is it a new printer?!!
Thanks
Piglet