BetaONE will rise again!

Old 31st Jan 03, 05:59 AM

TheCrossMovement
Send a message via MSN to TheCrossMovement Send a message via Yahoo to TheCrossMovement
Would it matter which one of this I installed first considering one is Linux, and one is Windows?

Thanks for any input,

TCM
Old 31st Jan 03, 06:18 AM

winnas
I have myself installed windows(Xp) first and then Linux (redhat 8)................i think when i was doing that i kinda found there more documents detailing this then the other way round.......it was easy.
Old 31st Jan 03, 05:20 PM

craftyc
It is always better to install Linux after Windows. This is because LILO or GRUB (the Linux bootloaders) can boot Windows, however Windows can boot Linux (without a fair bit of hassle).
Old 1st Feb 03, 01:20 AM

TheCrossMovement
Send a message via MSN to TheCrossMovement Send a message via Yahoo to TheCrossMovement
I ran into another problem......after a certain point my monitor ceases to work properly and just goes blank. This happens after Xandros goes thru its initial boot-up "loading GUI, Loading Kernel, Detecting hardware, cdrom, etc, etc". What can I do to resolve this behavior if it continues??

TCM
Old 1st Feb 03, 03:34 PM

craftyc
Sounds like Xandros has incorrectly set your sync range (horizontal and vertical refresh rate). To fix it, boot into expert mode. Login as root and run "vim /etc/X11/XF86Config". Find the monitor section, and change the sync ranges to suit your monitor (check the manual or ask google). Note: You must type "i" before trying to type text into the file. Once you have edited it all press <ESC> then type :wq. You will be brought back to the command prompt. Restart the computer by typing "reboot". And everything should work.
Old 1st Feb 03, 11:00 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Crftyc has it. You gotta readjust your monitor settings. I've been lucky because Xandros likes my NEC 1850 flat screen and never makes a mistake setting it up.

On dual booting--I agree. You save yourself a lot of touble if you install Windows Xp and then install Linux, no matter what distro. You can always get rid of the Lilo boot screen if you want to uninstall Linux.