BetaONE will rise again!

Old 14th May 03, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Grzyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Just been looking thru the nice new sigs.....

Like Poolman's & DoG's sigs especially

Just a question....

How were they done?? To get them to be animated in such a cool fashion....Would it be possible to modify my sig to be that animated or would I have to start from scratch again

Is there a tutorial available.....Would be interested in giving it a go.....Although my Art Work leaves alot to be desired......

Grzyb

Super Moderator BetaONE

Grzyb@betaone.net

Old 14th May 03, 10:37 AM
BetaONE Supporter

jakesnake is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jakesnake
is this the start of a thread to REQUEST: sigs ???

cos if so, i'll put my name down :P
same theme as mine is now ("muppets") please
Old 14th May 03, 12:14 PM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
Quote:
Originally posted by Grzyb@May 14 2003, 09:22 AM
Just been looking thru the nice new sigs.....

Like Poolman's  & DoG's sigs especially

Just a question....

How were they done?? To get them to be animated in such a cool fashion....Would it be possible to modify my sig to be that animated or would I have to start from scratch again

Is there a tutorial available.....Would be interested in giving it a go.....Although my Art Work leaves alot to be desired...... 
The animation on mine and poolmans's sigs is done by a simple java applet, the site where those 2 applets ,and others, are available from is : http://www.fxapplets.com/
he has some pretty cool stuff on there.
You do need a basic code to add it to your sig on the board but thats not a problem- Seph figured it out and i adapted it to fit mine, if i can do it anyone can

Old 14th May 03, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mate for your input......

I found Poolmans One but couldn't find your's......

I take it you have to play around with the index.htm file to change all the properties.......

Update

Managed to alter the Height & Width paremeters, to enable my sig to fit. Also changed the default URL parametor to point to

_www.betaone.net

Now the difficult bit, how do I change my sig on board....I take it requires all the files in the zip achieve to work????

Grzyb

Super Moderator BetaONE

Grzyb@betaone.net

Old 14th May 03, 07:35 PM

KingCobra is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KingCobra
Those are cool effects. I'd like to see Poolman try using the Lake Applet found at the website you gave DOG.
Old 14th May 03, 08:38 PM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
Quote:
Originally posted by Grzyb@May 14 2003, 07:30 PM
Thanks Mate for your input......

I found Poolmans One but couldn't find your's......

I take it you have to play around with the index.htm file to change all the properties.......

Update

Managed to alter the Height & Width paremeters, to enable my sig to fit. Also changed the default URL parametor to point to

_www.betaone.net

Now the difficult bit, how do I change my sig on board....I take it requires all the files in the zip achieve to work????
If you mail me the files i will sort them out for you if you like. All you will need to do is alter the effects to your liking

Old 14th May 03, 11:40 PM

E3
Hi Guys,

If you like this sort of thing, Java Boutique has heaps of them along with tutorials etc (they even have an Applet Hall of Fame!) http://javaboutique.internet.com/applets/. I've got to warn you guys that I've seen a lot of quirky problems with java applets in the past though. Each one is actually an individual downloaded program running on your computer. They sometimes suck up a lot of system resources and often slow your machine down. I've seen them lock up and/or crash some older systems too. As cool as they are, and I agree they look great, I'd really suggest using them sparingly though.

All the best,
E3

Further: (I just did this...) Just for the fun of it, open up your Task Manager and click on the Performance tab so you can see your CPU Usage graph. I run a P4 2.2 with a gig of ram, and with 3 browser windows open (to a normal page) my cpu runs 0-2%. As soon as I open a page with even 1 of the applets running on it my cpu jumps to almost 60% and spikes over 70% if I interact with the applet. Try it on your own computer and see what happens. I'm not trying to be a 'stick in the mud', and I know applets are fun, but most people don't realize just how heavily they hit their systems.
Old 15th May 03, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If you mail me the files i will sort them out for you if you like. All you will need to do is alter the effects to your liking

I've uploaded the zip file to my Web Space......

I believe all is OK.....You can run the Java Applet using the Index.htm file and ripple effect is on the Sig....I don't know what to do next????

Grab Them here....

_http://www.btinternet.com/~peter.j.romaniuk/Grzyb3.zip :

Grzyb

Super Moderator BetaONE

Grzyb@betaone.net

Old 15th May 03, 11:32 AM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Amazing on the cpu usage.

I have AMD 2100+ and 1GB of Ram.

I had Sun Java set by default for IE6 and DoG's sig wouldn't run, but E3's did. In that configuration cpu usage was 2%.

When I disabled Sun Java, DoG's sig worked and cpu usage went to 52-57 % or so.
Old 15th May 03, 08:13 PM
Super Duper Moderator

Voodoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Voodoo
Hi there Guys.

I also noticed what E3 found: Those cool scripts are recource hogs. I run DU Meter and I noticed that whenever I opened a page that has Poolmans or Dog's sig my DU-Meter window would start shaking like hell. I also then noticed that my CPU usage shot up to the same levels as which E3 got.

Cheerz
Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by E3@May 15 2003, 12:40 AM
Hi Guys,

I've got to warn you guys that I've seen a lot of quirky problems with java applets in the past though. Each one is actually an individual downloaded program running on your computer. They sometimes suck up a lot of system resources and often slow your machine down. I've seen them lock up and/or crash some older systems too. As cool as they are, and I agree they look great, I'd really suggest using them sparingly though.

All the best,
E3

Further: (I just did this...) Just for the fun of it, open up your Task Manager and click on the Performance tab so you can see your CPU Usage graph. I run a P4 2.2 with a gig of ram, and with 3 browser windows open (to a normal page) my cpu runs 0-2%. As soon as I open a page with even 1 of the applets running on it my cpu jumps to almost 60% and spikes over 70% if I interact with the applet. Try it on your own computer and see what happens. I'm not trying to be a 'stick in the mud', and I know applets are fun, but most people don't realize just how heavily they hit their systems.