BetaONE will rise again!

Old 28th Jun 04, 09:26 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
I burned more than 200 DVD's on my Plextor 708A since I bought it in December. It began putting small scratches on the outer edge of the dvd disks, thus making coasters if the burn came out to outer edge. Plextor replaced it within 48 hours by courrier under warranty. New one works fine.

The scratch was occassional in the beginning and then increasingly frequent. Also I found that I needed to burn at slower speeds in recent times to assure a good burn. Sometimes I chose to burn at 2.4 rather than 8X to assure not blowing my dvd stock.

Secondarily, I have a 52X cd burner that is now producing coasters if I burn at 48X, or sometimes at 40X. I need o burn at 32X or lower assure a good burn.

My suspicion is that these lasers do "wear out". Or am I missing the need to clean? The cd burner is nearly a year old and I've burned at least 400 cd's on it.

Any thoughts welcome. Maybe this stuff is really reduced to a limited throw away life!