BetaONE will rise again!

Old 29th Jul 05, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Antivirus software for Windows Vista
Guys,

What Antivirus applications will be working seamlessly with Vista? Let's list them here after tested and working please.

Cheers,
McoreD
Old 2nd Aug 05, 06:44 AM

thelostsoul is on a distinguished road
Here's a list of AV programs that I, or someone else have tried:

Norton Products (including NAV06b)
Will not install. UPDATE: Certain products may work, I tried NAV04, 05, and 06 and heard that corporate and system works don't work.

PC-Cillin
(not by me) Not working

Kaspersky
(not by me) Not working

McAfee Internet Security Suite
(not by me) Not working

ZoneAlarm Security Suite
Installer hangs and will not continue at ~11%

Panda Titan AV
Will not install.

NOD32
Installs and runs, but causes 100% CPU usage

F-Secure AV
Installer runs, asks to reboot, then does nothing. Re-running setup results in same situation.

AVG Pro:
Installs and runs, but destroys vista bootup so windows will not load until you do Last know good configs, but then real-time protection is disabled. UPDATE: I'm starting to believe it may be system specific. I guess this one is just a matter of trying for yourself. Svchost is a required system process normally, but not neccessary in all casses.

BitDefender 8:
Will install, runs great, but after reboot, cause BSOD. Boot into safemode and rename the install directory, then reboot into normal mode. After this, run the program from the new directory. Next I would suggest using this utility to disable invalid entries. UPDATE: Changing of directory not needed, just disable vsserv.exe from running on startup, and go into BitDefender to disable the whole thing on startup, then go back into autoruns to disable vsserv.exe again. You may need to rename vsserv.exe, but then you can make a desktop icon to get to it.

MKS_vir 2005
Installer gives a warning about not having libraries, but gives a link to download them. Link does not help, installer stops after preparing, nothing else happens.

Avast! Version 4.6 Pro
Working. At first, will block all traffic on port 80, simply go into the program, click more details, scroll to Web Shield, click customize, and clear the box with 80 in it. (I'm not exactly sure what that did...if anyone has more info on that, please post.)

I'll post if I find anything that works....

EDIT: Okay, I'm done looking, if anyone has a program in mind that they would like me to try, feel free to ask me to here. Please provide a link to the developers website, thanks.

Last edited by thelostsoul : 2nd Aug 05 at 10:05 PM.
Old 2nd Aug 05, 06:54 AM

I am trying bitdefender right now...so far, it seems to run fine....I'll let post if it's working after I reboot and see if there are any problems.
Old 2nd Aug 05, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks thelostsoul.

AVG:
Installs and runs, but destroys vista bootup so windows will not load until you do Last know good configs, but then real-time protection is disabled.

That's the AV I had hopes for. Just found out this Wiki. According to ieXbeta Wiki AVG works fine though.
http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Beta_1_Software_Compatibility_List#A ntiVirus
Old 2nd Aug 05, 06:34 PM

Well...they're talking about the free version, so that one may work...I'm trying mostly trials of full version and full versions.

But I am making progress on getting bitdefender running properly. I've discovered that vsserv.exe is the reason it crashed on boot, now to find out why......reason I'm trying with this one and not the others is because it's the only one that seems to run stable enough to use.
Old 2nd Aug 05, 10:06 PM

I just updated my post with a working one this time...one with no poblems as of yet
Old 14th Aug 05, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Raid762 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just installed AntiVir Personal Edition Classic , I had no errors during install or after reboot ,but it appears the realtime Antivir Gaurd is not active.

Last edited by Raid762 : 14th Aug 05 at 07:45 AM.