BetaONE will rise again!

Old 21st Nov 05, 08:51 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
The new stuff--Fedora and ????
What happened to CraftyC?

A buddy told me he was impressed with Fedora 4, which is downloadable for free from the RedHat sponsored site. Anybody looked at this yet? I've got the 4 iso's, but am reluctant to spend the time to check it out on spec.

I'm still pretty much a fan of Xandros. They have a slick install procedure and everything sets up just like Billy's system: drives mount, Windows and Linux Lan's mount, etc.

Any new thoughts?
Old 2nd Dec 05, 09:27 PM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikytik
What happened to CraftyC?

A buddy told me he was impressed with Fedora 4, which is downloadable for free from the RedHat sponsored site. Anybody looked at this yet? I've got the 4 iso's, but am reluctant to spend the time to check it out on spec.

I'm still pretty much a fan of Xandros. They have a slick install procedure and everything sets up just like Billy's system: drives mount, Windows and Linux Lan's mount, etc.

Any new thoughts?
To answer your questions: -

craftyc thought that it would be a good idea to get a Mac last year and has since cut down his usage of Linux. I think you'll agree with me when I say that he's an idiot!

Because of the whole getting a Mac and using Mac OS X as my primary OS and discovering fun things like alcohol, and rock-climbing, I just don't have enough time to spend on computers anymore, which is a bit of a bummer.

However, I do have some time to have a play with Linux, and I have decided to go back to Gentoo. I would like to take this time to say "Gentoo Rocks!"

To be honest, I never was a huge fan of Red Hat. I thought that the distribution was bloated and took away a lot of options. That and I absolutely hated RPMs. I hear things are better in the latter area, but I still doubt that I would try Fedora.

Xandros was indeed a good distro. It let you do you work with a minimum of fuss, and with the OCE, you can get Xandros for free. I think that this was a good move for us cash strapped students. I tried version 3 and I thought that it was an improvement over 2, but I haven't really followed it since then.

Anywho, to the point of this diatribe - If you've downloaded the ISOs of Fedora Core 4, you can create a small 4Gb partition and use that to install and test it for a week and see what you think.
Old 3rd Dec 05, 05:45 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow! Nice to hear from you Craftyc. Yeah, things change, but old love's never do. Thanks for your comments. I have the iso's for
Fedora, but have some personal "rock climbing" type challenges that seem to keep me busy and so I haven't installed Fedora. But, the interest is still there.

Don's fall off one of those rocks while you are lifting a flask to keep you warm!