BetaONE will rise again!

Old 4th Dec 02, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

I have got two physical hard disks 20GB (Primary Master) and 6GB (Primary Slave). I installed Linux in Primary Slave. I can explorere and do everything in the hard disk where Linux is installed. But i didn't see anywhere, I could access the other physcical hard disk. Should I need to configure something to make to viewable? Has I missed something?

Reason is: I have VMWare downloaded in this drive, and I want to access it in Linux in order to install it.

Thanks in advance....
Old 4th Dec 02, 04:11 PM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally posted by McoreD@Dec 4 2002, 04:36 AM
Hi,

I have got two physical hard disks 20GB (Primary Master) and 6GB (Primary Slave).  I installed  Linux in Primary Slave. I can explorere and do everything in the hard disk where Linux is installed. But i didn't see anywhere, I could access the other physcical hard disk. Should I need to configure something to make to viewable? Has I missed something?

Reason is: I have VMWare downloaded in this drive, and I want to access it in Linux in order to install it.

Thanks in advance....
I now know what you meant in the other thread. Windows is unable to read anything other than FAT and NTFS partitions dependiing on which version of Windows you use. There is a product that enables one to write to a Linux partition from Windows, however, it is proprietry and I can't remember the name of the software.

Take a look under /mnt/windows/. Your Windows drive should be accessible via that directory. If your Windows partition is an NTFS volume then I think you should look under /mnt/NT (although I am not certain).

In any case, your Windows disk will be mounted under /mnt/. PM me if you need further assisstance.

Hope this helps.
Old 4th Dec 02, 06:36 PM

oscar2043
You must read about commands like mount in order to understand linux file system.

A short introduction
create a folder anywhere but usually is a folder in /mnt
for ex. /mnt/mywin

then run the command
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/mywin

vfat is fat32
/dev/hda1 is the first partition of first master disk

then double click on /mnt/mywin and you are into c:\

Try linuxconf to configure anything including hd and cdrom.
Old 5th Dec 02, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by craftyc@Dec 5 2002, 12:11 AM
There is a product that enables one to write to a Linux partition from Windows, however, it is proprietry and I can't remember the name of the software.
thanks for the replies craftyc and oscar2043

@craftyc, that program should be similar to one i got from http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm, but it doesn't enable write access to ext/3 drives for me for some reason.

@oscar2043, yes mate, i have to learnt a hell lot more in linux, it is very interesting thanks to you guys' advices and guidance and help, n00bs like us could easily pick up. so no worries.