BetaONE will rise again!

Old 19th Jul 04, 08:23 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Jedis is an unknown quantity at this point
I have three computers on a Windows 2000 network. Filesharing is enabled on all of them and the network works.

I have the other two computers shares (on each computer) mapped to drive letter, using 'Map a Network Drive' option. 'Reconnect at Login' is checked.

However, each time a computer is rebooted, it asks for the username/password for the shares on the other two computers. Windows XP has an option to save the username/password on the dialog box, but Windows 2000 does not.

Is there a way to have it save the username/password so it will not ask everytime Windows 2000 is rebooted? The only option I can think of is removing the password for the account on all machines; however, these are in a public environment and are used by customers. The windows password needs to stay for security concerns. Any advice?
Old 20th Jul 04, 02:37 AM
BetaONE Supporter

No one has any suggestions?
Old 20th Jul 04, 02:46 AM

mikeh420
Send a message via ICQ to mikeh420 Send a message via AIM to mikeh420 Send a message via Yahoo to mikeh420
I don't remember Win2000 allowing saving of passwords like you're referring to, unlike WinXP, which was set up more for home users as well as business users. I have a Win2000 box as a spare/test machine, I can poke around and see if I can find anything.
Old 20th Jul 04, 03:49 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Thanks for taking a look at it.

In the share permissions for the network shares, I have it set so 'Everyone' has full access. If I added the 'Administrator' onto each share, would it stop asking for the Admin login/pass? All three machines are logged in under Administrator - however, the customers do not know the Admin password.
Old 20th Jul 04, 04:51 AM

mikeh420
Send a message via ICQ to mikeh420 Send a message via AIM to mikeh420 Send a message via Yahoo to mikeh420
After adding administrators to the shares, I was able to log into my win2000 box from my winxp box using the user account from the win2000 box and the admin account from the win2000 box. I also re-booted the xp box and it "reconnected at startup" to the shares on win2000.

I also tried it reverse, logging into the win2000 box from the winxp box, and it also worked. Hopefully, this means it will behave the same way with two win2000 machines.

Edit: Just looked back at my win2000 machine, it had a blue screen, rebooted it and it can't find the hard drive. At least it stayed around long enough to be of some help today!
No biggie, it's a really old Quantum Fireball 10GB, not the highest quality in hard disks.
Old 20th Jul 04, 06:24 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Awesome, will give it a whirl. Thanks for your help!

And sorry to hear about the HD problem
Old 20th Jul 04, 10:48 AM
Administrator

JacKDynne will become famous soon enoughJacKDynne will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to JacKDynne
Just a thought - are all the machines on the same workgroup? All mapped by ip address and not computer name?

/JD

Old 20th Jul 04, 05:50 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Yes, they're all using the same workgroup. I have manually assigned each one an IP address.
Old 20th Jul 04, 06:42 PM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
So there are three users all named "Administrator"? And with the same or different password?

(Yes, just a sidenote... I thought all users were supposed to have a unique username.)
Old 20th Jul 04, 09:56 PM
BetaONE Supporter

There's the login Administrator on each computer, yes.

Two of them have the same password, but the other one uses a different password.