BetaONE will rise again!

Old 26th Dec 01, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Raid762 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, I am considering putting together a new system for my son,
all things being equel which would be better , a 1000mhz celeron or 1000mhz duron , Unfortunately I cant go all out and get top of the range stuff.
Old 26th Dec 01, 01:38 PM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
I donīt really know about the differences in speed and such between thoose processors. What that might be of greater interest is what motherboard you buy. I believe you can put a decent machine together on a budget, but the most important part is still the mobo. Maybe you have a few alternatives at your local store or something? Check them out carefully, f eks at hxxp://www.reviewbooth.com as Iīm sure your son deserves a stable machine.

For what it is worth,

.unicorn
Old 26th Dec 01, 04:11 PM

felixml
Please read these two articles.
I hope it helps!

When it's easy to find a great holiday deal on a PC with a high-end processor, why would anybody settle for one with an entry-level chip?

That's the problem facing chip makers Intel and AMD, which have watched their carefully planned market segmentation blow up, thanks to a faltering economy and a massive downturn in technology spending. Just a few years ago, entry-level chips were aimed at sub-$1200 PCs; now you can find a system using Intel's premiere Pentium 4 chip at a lower price than some using its entry-level Celeron processor.

As Intel has rapidly dropped prices on the P4 to compete with AMD in a tough market, the company watched its less expensive Celeron lose market share. The Celeron dropped from 27.2 percent in the third quarter of last year to 20.9 percent of the market in the same quarter of this year, according to research firm Dataquest.

In that same period, Intel introduced the Pentium 4, and that chip went from a zero market share to 23.9 percent.

When it's easy to find a great holiday deal on a PC with a high-end processor, why would anybody settle for one with an entry-level chip?

That's the problem facing chip makers Intel and AMD, which have watched their carefully planned market segmentation blow up, thanks to a faltering economy and a massive downturn in technology spending. Just a few years ago, entry-level chips were aimed at sub-$1200 PCs; now you can find a system using Intel's premiere Pentium 4 chip at a lower price than some using its entry-level Celeron processor.

As Intel has rapidly dropped prices on the P4 to compete with AMD in a tough market, the company watched its less expensive Celeron lose market share. The Celeron dropped from 27.2 percent in the third quarter of last year to 20.9 percent of the market in the same quarter of this year, according to research firm Dataquest.

In that same period, Intel introduced the Pentium 4, and that chip went from a zero market share to 23.9 percent.

Dropping P4 Prices Crush Celeron Demand

http://xxx.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,77264,00.asp
Old 26th Dec 01, 05:32 PM

nnuxx
i would go definitely for d Duron.
Celeron was always from it's beginning a 'bad produced' processor that intel chosed to bring as a 'low cost' alternative (it's basically a normal Intel with it's cache memory 'hammered' to half size from a regular Pentium).
Latest reviews as showned AMD processors getting similar (n even better) performances then Pentium with same clock speeds.
i would go to d Duron
Old 26th Dec 01, 05:53 PM
Forgotten

DURON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

definatly go for the Duron.

Even though the Celeron is based off of the P3 architecture.
Go with the duron, it is Heads and Shoulders above the celeron

The only celeron i would ever [i:4514d3e2f4]consider[/i:4514d3e2f4] getting is th 1.2 Tulan

check out this article on it
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q4/011116/index.html
it even shows the Duron beating the P4!!!!!!!!

Duron is cheaper faster and overclocks better
Old 26th Dec 01, 05:53 PM

greasemonkey
heres an article on the latest 1200 duron/celeron I'm sure you can draw some parallels to the 1000. *http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q4/011116/index.html by the same token for only $60 (Canadian anyway) you could upgrade to a 1.3G athlon.

*ha ha, forgotten beat me to the punch on that article.
Old 28th Dec 01, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the advive , I have had a look at the articles and think It will be the duron.
Old 3rd Jan 02, 02:27 PM

felixml
h..p://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020103/index.html

Intel vs. AMD: Celeron 1300 vs. Duron 1200

GREAT WRITE-UP!!!
Old 3rd Jan 02, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

hi Felixml , I have read that article , sounds pretty impressive .
I havent seen the duron 1200 advertised anywhere down here yet though. What a pity we cant get them for the prices they go for in the States.
Old 3rd Jan 02, 07:45 PM

felixml
Why don't you go to something like ibuyer.net and order from them.
They are providing great prices from all major distributors.
I am sure they will send to Aussies too...