BetaONE will rise again!

Old 20th Aug 01, 04:25 AM
Tank

Geez. I'm having real problems with this one.
I've just purchased a lovely new Abit TH7-Raid Motherboard and a P4 1.8 . The memory is 2 x 256 MB Kingston Rimms.
I have filled the slots with the 2 cont rimms as well.
Power Supply is 300W.
The problem seems to be when I install Windows ME and start transferring files across my drives or try installing anything ... the system just reboots.The drives (which are IBM Deskstars). I have been completely re-installed from scratch (out of desperation!) and even tried them on the Raid controller, but still the system reboots as soon as I start transferring files across from one drive to another. Even the cdrom causes this problem.
I cannot seem to pinpoint the problem as whether it's a controller problem on the motherboard, or memory or what ? Or a setting somewhere I completely missed or am I just on drugs ? Heh.

I've changed all the bios settings to default, and upped the core voltage to 1.85 , to no avail.
Someone has also told me that I do not need to change the cpu frequency from default 800/100 to 1800/100 for my processor as it will make no difference ?

Has anyone come across this problem at all as I would really appreciate any help at all.:-)
Did I mention my graphics card is a Hercules Geforce 2 GTS 64, I hope this is not the problem.

Thanks People.
Old 20th Aug 01, 05:32 AM

Beta Spanky
It sounds like a classic memory problem to me.

Is your memory pc100 or pc133? My quick suggestion would be to try the ram you had in your old rig only, and see what happens.

Try one stick at a time, and different combinations.
Old 20th Aug 01, 06:23 AM
Tank

Their Kingston PC800 Rimms. Both 256MB.
Old 20th Aug 01, 07:02 AM

enrico
Prove to work with one memory bank at a time.
Henrys on the water (venice).
Old 20th Aug 01, 08:08 AM
Tank

Unfortunatley with Rimms, you have to have 2 slots populated at any one time.
Old 20th Aug 01, 11:14 AM

Beta Spanky
I don't think I'm familiar with Rimms.

Is that DDRam? If your board will accept pc100 or pc133 or whatever, I would try to find some old ram or something and try that.

Your problem sounds like it is the ram, but there is only one way to prove it.
Old 25th Aug 01, 05:44 PM

spark25
Win ME has had a few well noted problems w/certain hardware combos. The stability of the platform I think is still an issue in many setups. If possible I would see if the spontanious reboots occur under a diff. OS. 98se or 2k.
Personally, you couldn't pay me to run that OS.
Old 10th Sep 01, 04:35 AM
Wedginstyk

[quote:c0b5bb2e3c]Originally posted by Beta Spanky:
I don't think I'm familiar with Rimms.

Is that DDRam? If your board will accept pc100 or pc133 or whatever, I would try to find some old ram or something and try that.

Your problem sounds like it is the ram, but there is only one way to prove it.
[/quote:c0b5bb2e3c]

RIMMs are RAMBUS DRAM and are overly expensive, pathetic Intel-ized technology which is now being abandoned due to DDR RAM being cheaper & better in most applications

Early P4 boards would accept only RIMMs and nothing else, now Intel are allowing support for SDRAM as well I believe.
Old 10th Sep 01, 09:38 AM

Rockbastard
[b:ea84dd4b3c]Wedginstyk[/b:ea84dd4b3c]
RDRAM RAM may be overpriced but its memory bandwith still offers a performance edge over DDR RAM in most benchmarks. Also, it's not Intel's invention. Intel just happened to bet their money on the wrong horse and are under contractual obligation to produce RDRAM chipsets. Let me assure you that Intel would much rather release their DDR chipset today but then RAMBUS Inc.'s ever trigger-happy lawyers would immediately file a massive law-suit against Intel.

RIMM, by the way, is RAMBUS In-line Memory Module, as I recall it.

Also, 128MB RDRAM modules are only about twice as expensive as PC133 modules in a similar quality. At any rate, RAM is so cheap now that price difference, although annoying, shouldn't pose a problem when you're looking at buying a brand new P4 system.

[b:ea84dd4b3c]Dr Thodt[/b:ea84dd4b3c]:
If you have a spare system or can borrow a friends system, you may want to try installing WinME on the one disk there and then bring the disk home.

In general, there are two kinds of legit WinME license owners: Those who think it's great, stable, and outperforms the older Win 9x platforms, and those like myself who just wasted their money on a buggy PoS OS and went back to Win98SE or straight to Win2K.

I had the same problems during the installation process but eventually I managed to complete the installtion. Unfortunately, WinME kept insisting that it had detected a serious error in its registry which it then corrected and rebooted. After each reboot this would repear itself.

Finally I gave up and reverted to Win98SE after a brief and unhappy encounter with Win2K. Soon I will swap my harddisks so WinXP becomes my primary OS and Win98SE my secondary OS.

You could also try disabling the RAID function for now and then enabling after a succesful installtion of WinME (if it ever happens).

Best of luck!