BetaONE will rise again!

Old 5th Feb 05, 01:36 AM

KingCobra is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KingCobra
$9.99 NetGear 4 Port Wireless Router
If anyone wants to buy a low cost 4 port wireless B-band router for only $9.99 like I'm currently using, just go here:

Code:
http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/product_info.asp?product_code=298420&pfp=ADPRODUCTS
Old 5th Feb 05, 08:23 AM

Leech
Send a message via ICQ to Leech
Thanx for the info, I think I am going to trade my Netgear 4 port wireless for a linksys ..
Old 5th Feb 05, 01:17 PM

@Leech - Why are you going to trade your NetGear 4 port wireless for a Linksys wireless? Please fill me in.

I like Linksys more than NetGear and I own a regular Linksys 4 port and never really needed a wireless router. It was only when I seen I could get the NetGear wireless for $9.99 after rebade did I decided I'd try one. So far I'm happy with the wireless router. I just hooked up the wireless router and it connected with no problems.

Althouth, I also bought the NetGear USB wireless adapter MA111 which also is only $9.99 after rebates.
WARNING - AVOID THE MA111 AT ALL COST!

Currently I have been unable to get the drivers that came with the the MA111 or even the SP2 beta fixes off NetGear's website to work correctly. In fact, I've tried it on two of my three computers and it gives me a blue screen memory dump. It even screwed my LAN card in one of my systems and I might be looking at a reformat if I can't figure out what it screwed up. I've uninstalled the NetGear drivers and tried to restore my system to a previous state and still it has my regular LAN card screwed up and unusable. I would agree with those that say in the case of the MA111, you get what you pay for.

Edit - Today I was on the phone with tech support at NetGear for almost an hour. At one point they wanted me to uninstall SP2 and I told them to go blow!

When I finished on the phone with them they were of no help and after I hung up I continued to work on it. I found another Beta driver setup on their site and yes I have it working now. Their tech support really sucks, well the guy I got today and the women that put me on hold yesterday and never returned sucked anyway!

Last edited by KingCobra : 5th Feb 05 at 10:30 PM.
Old 6th Feb 05, 05:18 PM

Leech
it works good. I been getting alot of packet losses with it lately. I have all the firmware updated and such, but it still crashes on me .. I also have a hard time setting up passive range ftp with it. With linksys you could use a port other than 21 without enabling dmz. With netgear you have to enable it.

Also the support sux. THose people don't even know how to work their own product. I know linksys isn't any better, but linksys seems to be easier for me to setup. It has more options and is more "User" friendly. Plus with linksys you get more options as far as product choices.
Old 6th Feb 05, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the reply, I understand 100%

If I don't receive these rebates back from NetGear I'll be very upset!

Edit - Check this poor mans WIFI antenna. Now that I have a USB adapter like the one pictured, this is surly something cool to try.

Code:
http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/usbscoop.jpg

Last edited by KingCobra : 7th Feb 05 at 03:48 AM.
Old 8th Feb 05, 06:19 AM

Leech
That is cool looking lol .. I like that ..
Old 8th Feb 05, 10:15 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm. I love my Netgear 614 4 port wireless router.