BetaONE will rise again!

Old 1st Jan 05, 08:55 PM

SlickVic78 is an unknown quantity at this point
A Program To Limit Computer Usage?
Hello All,

Well, I was asked by my mother if I can find a program that will limit the amount of computer usage.

My little brother got his interim report back this semester and he is failing 2 classes because he is on his computer all the time playing online poker and chatting online.

The program I am looking for will give the user only X amount of hours specified by me. So when the computer gets turned on, it will give the user X amount of hours, and then it will turn off the system for the rest of that day.

I already know I could use the Logon Hours Config built into XP, but that only sets the times a user is allowed to sign on. I want it to allow the user to sign on whenever they want, but they only get a specified amount of hours to use the computer before it shuts down for the rest of the day.

Is there a program that will accomplish what I need it to do?

Thanks in advance.
-SlickVic78
  • 80 Gig 7200 RPM Western Digital HDD
  • Lite-On LTR-52327S CD-RW Burner
  • Lite-On SOHW-1633S DVD Burner
  • ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
  • Sound Blaster Audigy
  • Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP-2
Old 1st Jan 05, 09:02 PM

KingCobra is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KingCobra
I seen a unit that pluged in and locked the power plugs. There was a unit in between that you would program and amount of time allowed before it would disconnect power. Not sure what the name of it is, but I know it's out there. Although it was not software, it was hadware that worked with and AC device.
Old 1st Jan 05, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the tip KC, although I am really looking for a software solution. If anyone else has an idea of a program that would do what I am looking for, please let me know.

Thanks,
-SlickVic78
  • ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
  • Sound Blaster Audigy
Old 2nd Jan 05, 01:35 AM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
These might be ok:

http://www.download.com/3000-2344-10...ml?tag=lst-0-1

http://www.downloadfreetrial.com/uti.../util7078.html

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/computertime.html
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 2nd Jan 05, 02:40 AM

You could also try a PW on the BIOS or just remove the computer from his room.

In fact, my 8 year old just got in trouble and I'm going in to his room right now to put a PW on his system. He was mean to his 4 year old brother tonight and I'm pissed off.

Edit - Just finished setting up a user & ADMIN PW on the BIOS and hide the Xbox games so he can't play them in the morning before we get up anymore. If he's going to be mean to his brother, I'll get him where it hurts! He's so much like his dad, this will really hurt and I hope I get his attention.

Last edited by KingCobra : 2nd Jan 05 at 03:01 AM.
Old 2nd Jan 05, 07:47 AM

@war59312,
Always there with a list of links for me when I am in need of a proggie! Kudos to you my friend! Looks like ComputerTime may do the trick.

@ KC,
Not only removing computer access, but hiding his XBox games also. Whoa - he must have been really bad. I am sure you will have his attention now, for sure!

-SlickVic78
  • ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
  • Sound Blaster Audigy

Last edited by SlickVic78 : 2nd Jan 05 at 07:52 AM.
Old 2nd Jan 05, 09:46 AM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
I would do even more.

No leaving the house at all while hes grounded. No going to movies, no talking on the phone. No watching tv for too long. And tv of course only channels I want him to watch. In my case just channels 33-37. lol All news channels. And maybe 58, sci fi. And maybe, just maybe channel 1, hbo so he dont have to watch stupid news 24/7. lol Then maybe he will go outside and get some exericse when "nothing" is on tv. Make him play by himself when he does not share. No video games. NO internet unsupervised. Only computer to do homework. No games, nothing. Well maybe for a few hours a week but thats it. Same with net.

Yeah I am harsh. lol

Yeap no problem, SlickVic78, hope it works out for ya.
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 2nd Jan 05, 03:31 PM

@SlickVic78 - I hope things work out or your mother and little bro too.

As for our kids, the problem is with the oldest boy (8) and the oldest girl (6) doing teams leaving their little brother (4) out. Last night we found notes that the 8 & 6 year old made to each other saying they didn't love their 4 year old brother. They gave the notes to him and we are thankful that he can't read yet. He thought the notes said they loved him and we are not going to tell him the truth. If the other kids do, Lord help them when/if I find out.

Yes last night I did change the BIOS to lockout my 8 year old son from the computer in his room. He woke me up today at 6am asking me why his computer was asking for a password.

Some people think we are too strong on our kids. They have never been allowed to change the TV channel or put in a different Xbox game. We make them say please and thank you all the time. I can't remember the last time I spanked them, but if needed I'm not ruling it out. Often taking away things they enjoy the most works the best in our house.

My little rant
Old 2nd Jan 05, 07:22 PM
eh!!

Cyberion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cyberion Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberion
Get him a library card, or gift ticket to the nearby book shop.

As for placing passwords on computer et al, you better make sure you take all the procautions.. does he know how to break your implementation?

It it were one of my neices/nephews, I'd go out with them on the weekend, and go to the library, and adventure the [really] old books, some sci-fi, etc. So that we could have a good laugh and see the pretty pictures, plus they could read to me and learn about past experiences. I would not block x-box/computer, I'd just force a withdrawl from the toys and give a alternative... do you have any [old] records? Can you compare some old Beatles LPs to that of the CD remasters?

ANYTHING other then computers.. then and only then.. educate them about the wonders of encoding the LP to mp3/wav form.

Personally, I don't play too many games on the computer, but I love the library and encoding music from old cassette tapes. Slick, you could try one or all of the mentioned above.

Actually, what got me away from the Nintendo at a very early age was that I constantly found it more enjoyable to play games with the cheats on. ie developer mode, etc. I hope some of my suggestions work..

I want no blame if it doesn't, nor do I want credit if it does.