BetaONE will rise again!

Old 6th Mar 07, 10:45 PM

SIRCOOKS is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem when booting from cd/dvd drive
I have encountered this problem more than once. Sometimes when im reformatting, and im booting from the cd/dvd drive, ill get so far in the xp install and the install will then stop and tell me that a certain file cannot be copied and i must either retry by pressing enter or exit installation by pressing escape. It goes on to tell me that xp may not work without this file. Any way, i press enter a few times and i go back to that same screen, finally i open the drive theh close it immediately then press enter and itll start to copy the files that were once uncopyable. This happens a few times during the installation process and takes forever to format. During this time i notice that the drive will act as if its not doing anything, and just sit their quietly, even though the computer is on, and there doesnt seem to be a problem with the hd, because i transferred it to another comp and the sata drive is working perfectly. This keeps on happening and i have yet to format this comp. Mind you, i also tried using two discs, everytime the message pops up, put in the other one and try again, but at the end of that, i guess one disc was older than the first (the original had sp2 preinstalled on it), and when i finished, it told me that some components may not work....WHAT SHOULD I DO...HOLLA BACK ASAP
Old 7th Mar 07, 05:13 AM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange. Usually XP is good about this formatting. If you have another computer and use Acronis products, a good thing is to boot with Acronis Disk Director Suite to see what's going on with your active drive. It boots from CD in DOS and you can format or do whatever you want. Short of that, I usually use the utilities that come with the disk brand, be it Seagate, WD, or whatever to format and get ready for the rest.
Old 7th Mar 07, 01:00 PM

HotRod is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to HotRod
I have a drive that seems to be sensitive too.
Try reburning the disc at slower speed. If you have to take disc to another machine and make an iso of it, then burn slow.
On mine when it stops like that I take it out and wipe it down. Put back in and process continues. Maybe the drive is sensitive and when the oils from hands heats up can't read.
Old 18th Mar 07, 11:38 PM
Chopped Liver

tubebuoy is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you have a Lite-On CD/DVD drive with a copy of XP on a Recordable Brand Lite-On doesn't like.

}---:)
Old 2nd May 07, 01:43 PM
Retired Crew

Alpine is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alpine Send a message via AIM to Alpine
I also have this problem when install XP! ( i have a lite-on DvD RW SOH-832 ( or something like that ))

If you are able to install XP, before rebooting check your ATA/Atapie/IDE control of your CD/DvD!

Xp is unable to use the right DMA option for the CD/DvD ! Make a search on the Website of your cd/dvd about the right DMA to choose !!

You can also make a update of you Bios, so at the next format/install maybe your probs will be solved !!