BetaONE will rise again!

Old 26th Aug 04, 04:59 AM

miki is an unknown quantity at this point
I like to set up a ftp server in my PC which is behind a IBM High Rate Wireless router and cable modem. I am using Cerberus FTP server and WS_FTP client for notebook. So far, I can only ftp diredtly at the server ip address, ie ftp://192.168.1.11. When I try to ftp the router ip address ,I get the connection fail error message. Inside the router config settings. I have made the following change, it has setup for virtual servers which I assume is the same as IP forwarding, the settings are
Virtual Server Global port Local IP Local port Protocol Remark
Enable 20 192.168.1.11 20 TCP
Enable 21 192.168.1.11 21 TCP

From the Help files Global Port is defined as TCP or UDP port number used by the server computer on the Internet-Broadband connection. This is the port number visible to the users on the Internet, so it is also called external port number

From the Help files Local port is defined as TCP or UDP port number used by the server computer on the LAN. Designated external port number will be translated into this internal port number.

Any advise and help are much appreciated.
Old 26th Aug 04, 05:13 AM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
Sounds correct to me. Have you tried pinging your WAN ip address. Or better yet a traceroute? See if its timeing out or what.

Well sounds to be port 21 would be the Global Port and Part 20 being the local part.

BTW I would use different ports if I were you just to be more secure. You know so you dont have a ton of script kiddies port scanning you 24/7. Since they get a response for standard ip port. :P Even an accessed is diened is bad.

Will i dont know what the problem is but it just sounds like port fowarding to me and must be setup wrong some how if its not working. Or maybe a firewall?
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 26th Aug 04, 07:21 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Sometimes you can't connect to yourself - it depends upon what ISP you have. If this is the case, in your case, you'll always get that error message.
Try this: Use a web browser, go to _http://www.web2ftp.com and try to connect to your server from there. What happens?
Old 26th Aug 04, 11:35 AM

Thanks War59312 and Unicorn, excuse my spelling, I try unicorn's proposed www.web2ftp.com and I got a connection. Does this means my WS_FTP is not working properly ? Or my ISP just don't allow self-FTP ?
I can ping and traceroute to the cable modem fine.

Many thanks

Miki
Old 26th Aug 04, 02:33 PM

HotRod is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to HotRod
Sounds like everything should work. Try conenctiong to yourself at 192.168.1.11 and see if you get in. Then Use a noip address, should still be able to connect. If all else fails set up a test account and ask for test. Many here more then willing to help.
Old 26th Aug 04, 03:52 PM

Hello Hotrod, I can use WS_FTP to connect to the server machine fine. I downloaded another FTP agent , FTP Commander and the result is the same as WS_FTP. FTP to cable modem IP doesn't work. FTP to other FTP sites are fine. So the problem lies where ? IBM router or my ISP ? Thnks for the quick reply. I have set up a test account , test, with pwd 'annonymous' to test external access. Please try. Cable modem IP is 69.197.253.68 Tks

regards

Miki
Old 26th Aug 04, 04:02 PM

IN I can see ya and list
Old 26th Aug 04, 04:36 PM

Tks Hotrod, guess my ISP don't allow self FTP . One other query, instead of using port 21 and 20 for external ports . Please advise what other ports or range of ports can be use. For the internal port, I understand I need to maintain 20 and 21 for FTP purpose. Is that so ?

Tks and Regards

Miki :P
Old 26th Aug 04, 04:45 PM

You can use any ports in the range of 20300 - 21589 [last I checked unassigned] just have to forward them in the router to your machine. say you listen on port 21021 and use ports 21022 - 21100 for passive transfer. Then you would forward 21021 - 21100 to your machine. Set server up to listen on 21021 with passive ports 21022 - 21100. Only trouble you will run into going non standard ports is when client and server are both behind a router, FlashFXP and UltraFXP overcome that.
Old 26th Aug 04, 05:21 PM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Good you got it solved. I once ran into the same problem with my last ISP, never got ot to work. Then with my next ISP I was allowed to connect to myself. Odd. Keep the addy for testing your ftp in the future - you get a reliable respons in minutes - much easier than going online and ask friends to test it.

And an addon to the last post by HotRod; there are several thousands of more unassigned ports. Just google for them or try this list here:
_http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

I don't think you'll ever need as many as 80 ports, and your server probably doesn't support that many either. It should be enough finding an area of say 50 ports and you should be safe.